Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-02-2018, 09:00 AM   #1

Campground Space Demand Outpacing Supply?

On our state park visit last weekend (Hillsborough River SP near Tampa FL), we talked with some folks who noted how difficult it has become to reserve space in CGs due to the booming interest in RV camping (mostly by boomers like myself). I've noticed this adverse trend as well, especially with the state parks (our preferred destination). I would like to know what the actual CG space supply is and compare that to the number of registered RVs and manufacturer production targets. Is this information readily available? Seems to be an opportune time to open up new commercial CGs to satisfy this new demand (at least until the next significant market bubble bust), and I would think the RV manufacturers would want to support this in some manner.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:19 AM   #2

It is frustrating. I used to be able to travel from place to place without making reservations but not so much anymore. You may be crediting the rv industry with too much sophistication. RV manufacturers only care about making RVs. They could care less about there not being enough places to stay. I hate to sound negative but that's just the way it is.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:30 AM   #3

We camp mostly at various campgrounds in the Central NY area. Many of the state parks you have to reserve weekends in the fall for the next summer or you will be out of luck. The private campgrounds you can usually get in closer to the dates unless its a major holiday weekend. We decided since we live in the woods anyway, we stay home for those weekends
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
RV manufacturers only care about making RVs. They could care less about there not being enough places to stay. I hate to sound negative but that's just the way it is.
Not the manufacturers problem. Blame it on most municipalities and counties who don't want "low life campers".

Lake County in FL is a prime example, they have stated "No more RV parks" despite the fact they are 20/30 min from DISNEY and UNIVERSAL and have 1,000's of acres of undeveloped land.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:51 AM   #5

Rangers in Acadia National Park say the same thing.. Soo many new retirees still with the health and the urge to camp. Mostly in an RV.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:53 AM   #6

I live in AZ and travel to the beaches in CA as much as possible. I have to plan out every vacation 6+ months in advance or I am out of luck - even then I have to be on the computer at the exact right time to make reservations. Within 2 minutes of opening every campsite within two campgrounds filled up for the entire month of July and I was out of luck. I can't try to drive to a beach campground expecting to get a spot. For the beach campgrounds, there isn't really any space to make new campgrounds. The cost also is a huge factor near the beach.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:54 AM   #7

It is very difficult to open a campground and very expensive today. It will take at least a year or more to just obtain permission, more in a more developed area. Water, Sewer are major issues. At many campgrounds your looking at $50,000 or up per site, so your looking at millions to open one. You most likely will not be profitable for a number of years so you have to have deep pockets. If your a seasonal campground, like most are, it's even worse.

You can get into a campground for less, if you choose an out of the way area, with nothing around, but, then your occupancy will not be great enough to support it.

Not many new public campgrounds are being built either, no money to build or support them. Public campgrounds can get away with limited or no hookups, private, customers expect full hook ups, lots of amenities and in great locations.

Many of the long time campgrounds are becoming worth more for the land than operating as a campground. One I personally worked at, a very successful campground in a good area is up for sale and most likely will sell as an industrial park. Removing over 11,000 camping nights in a desirable area with already very limited camping spots.

Perhaps the new tax laws, and the continued cutting of regulations and speeding of regulatory approval we are currently seeing, may result in more incentives to build new camping spots.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:20 AM   #8

We used to camp everywhere in our tents with no reservations required. Moved up to a pop up and still not much trouble. At the end of 2016 we bought a TT and now have a FW and are feeling the frustration with finding spots in the areas we’re interested in without trying to make reservations 6 months to a year in advance. It seems most campgrounds advertise a 14 day maximum stay before you have to move. But this past year at 2 COE campgrounds, we found that half of the spots were taken by “seasonal” campers or “permanent” campers. Didn’t leave much available for overnight or multi day stops. I have to be careful complaining because the DW has expressed a passing thought to maybe becoming seasonal after retirement. I told her we could be seasonal right in the driveway.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:27 AM   #9

In Arizona its very difficult to get a space for a week or more. Online reservations really suck up all the spaces.Lots of folks looking 6 months in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Cactus 011.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:30 AM   #10

Good point in Williams Arizona Kiabab lake park hauls all there drinking water for the park!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 03:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nOZ View Post
I told her we could be seasonal right in the driveway.
You know, that's a good point. My driveway is less crowded and provides a better view.
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 03:46 PM   #12

I was unable to get anything in a Texas state park for spring break. I had to go to a commercial park.
I was able to get one of the Central Texas state parks for five days in the summer, but it was difficult and slim pickings. They take reservations for the state parks 11 months in advance, so I think I'll book in April for next year's spring break trip.
Having said that, I can see why the state parks get booked so quickly. They are nicer and they cost less.
Octopus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 03:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Not the manufacturers problem. Blame it on most municipalities and counties who don't want "low life campers".

Lake County in FL is a prime example, they have stated "No more RV parks" despite the fact they are 20/30 min from DISNEY and UNIVERSAL and have 1,000's of acres of undeveloped land.
Well, we have been in and seen several commercial CGs that were in sad shape. No surprise municipalities have a negative outlook on CGs. State parks should be the model for all to follow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-02-2018, 05:07 PM   #14

State parks should be the model for all to follow.

If the private sector had the $$ the public sector pays it would be easy. But besides being heavily subsidized by public funds, they also don't need to make a profit or pay taxes. HUGE difference. Plus many state parks don't have the infrastructure the public expects at private campgrounds...ie Internet, stores, full hook ups, activities, pools etc.

One campground I worked at paid a monthly fee for sewers of a little over $100 a month per site...even tho the campground was only open 6 months of the year, they paid all 12 months. This was after several thousand $ per site hook up fees up front.

Local campgrounds pay no fees at all..

It's really easy to spend other people money without any regard if it makes financial sense.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 12:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Plus many state parks don't have the infrastructure the public expects at private campgrounds...ie Internet, stores, full hook ups, activities, pools etc.
Exactly why we prefer SPs over commercial CGs. 30 amps, low water pressure, dump station, and no connectivity is a small price to pay for a SP camping experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-05-2018, 01:44 PM   #16

Yup, many more people getting RVs. I've found state parks book up faster than private, I believe mostly due to lower cost of the state parks. Many are adding full services, so they're equal to private RV parks, but cost less. Where in the past many SP had limited services where people don't like the idea of not being hooked to sewer, water etc and having to move to empty/fill tanks every few days. I've also noticed the weekends are filled, but middle of the weeks are usually open in parks where/when school/work is in session weekend RVs. As mentioned, some are booked as soon as the dates are released, so if you're not online booking when the computer opens the date you're out of luck.