Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-03-2014, 05:39 PM   #11

This is great David472. I'm adding these reco's to my list too.
Thanks!

Old 05-03-2014, 06:03 PM   #12

North of Algonquin, I have two other favorite spots, near the towns of Timmins and Kirkland Lake. They are Esker lakes and Kettle Lakes Provincial Parks. If you like to canoe and portage, these are good spots for that.

And....to get to these from Ohio, take I-75 north and cross at Sault Ste Marie, then head east from there. You'll avoid the Toronto mess that way.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:25 PM   #13

Maybe we'll just go to Wisconsin, instead. Lol! I don't think DH has patience for all these restrictions. Or, if I have time to get a passport for my 8 year old. Thanks for all your suggestions.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:14 PM   #14

Yeah, prior to 911, no passport was required. They sure took the fun out of it. The food thing is not that big a deal really. Not as restrictive as some people make it out to be.

I know you would enjoy visiting our country

Maybe some of my suggestions were too far for you. The suggestions about Pinery, Inverhuron, MacGregor and Bruce Peninsula range from a 6 hour to a 10 hour drive from your home in Ohio. There are a couple nice private CG's along that section also, depending on what you're looking for.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:13 PM   #15

No, not too far. Currently we have a trip booked for Amelia Island, FL and Savannah, GA that is over 800 miles for us. Just worried how DH is going to take the heat of these 2 places. We've been vacationing north of us in Michigan and they have wonderful weather in August. Not sure I want to worry about crossing borders in a camper. They could keep us there awhile.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:37 PM   #16

Okay, perhaps I can shed some light on what to expect when crossing.
We have crossed the border 8 to 10 times in the last 3 summers, granted going from Canada into USA. We have always got thru just as quick as any of those with cars only. We get more scrutiny from the USA border agents than from the Canadian. They ask the usual questions of where we are going, for how long, the food question, and what our citizenships are, and look at the passports. They ask to go into the TT without us. They do this right at the customs booth, no pulling into a parking lot. I think they open the fridge, and look in closets, but are only in there a couple minutes. Then we are on our way. Crossing back into Canada, they ask us the questions, but have never asked to look in the TT. One Canadian border agent did ask us if we had any guns or weapons. They probably ask that question more frequently for US citizens. All in all, I find it easier than what a person experiences when traveling by air.