Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-09-2018, 06:13 AM   #21

Dead Indian pass is a pretty spectacular view and is open when beartooth is not. Steep terrain so take your time.
Jay Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 10:34 AM   #22

I lived in the Black Hills for 10 years. There is no place more beautiful anywhere. Be prepared for the sudden high winds in that part of the country. I have seen many RVs as well as Tractor Trailers blown over
Cheekjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 09:59 PM   #23

If you do take 80, be sure to stop in Cheyenne, a great little western town with a lot to offer - spend a couple of days. If you end up on 90, east of Gillette is Devil's Tower. It is off the beaten path, but well worth the stop - the legend of Devil's Tower will move you. Enjoy and safe travels.
Dancingqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 09:23 PM   #24

I90

In May we took I25 to I90 and thoroughly enjoyed it. We had not been across I90 before and thought it was a beautiful drive. We were headed West.
Betsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 09:39 PM   #25

If you are on I-90 in extreme eastern WY, you are about 45-60 minutes away from Devil's Tower National Monument.

Two campgrounds I can recommend, the KOA just outside of the entrance (site was used for the movie Close Encounters prior to the KOA being built) with full hook ups a NPS campground inside the monument. The latter is basically dry camp. The KOA shows Close Encounters every night on a patio, with Devil's Tower behind it. A truly unique experience.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 10:20 PM   #26

If you take I 80 across Wyoming, watch the weather, they get some horrendous storms and winds. Very common for Semi's to be blow over on I 80 and I 25 as your entering Wyoming. I tend to avoid I 80 at almost any costs for that reason. At least its flat and you can see the black clouds coming for a hundred miles...

Should Add, I 90 is not always a treat, but at least more to see along most of it. When we were in the Black Hills a few years ago, a hail storm hit I 90 and closed it with over a foot of head and flood waters across a good stretch just west of Rapid City. Again keep and eye on the weather, you get out in the middle of no where and there is no place to hide.

Hope you have an uneventful trip !

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 11:06 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Starting to pull together info for a 2019 August/September west coast trip.

My present routing through Wyoming will be I-80 through the entire state ........, but considering possible route deviations along the way for "must see" locations.

Would appreciate any recommended Wyoming "must see" locations..., and National, State, or private Campground recommendations along the way. I anticipate some boondocking and camping w/hook-ups along the way.

I've also created a couple separate JOF threads for other States that I will be traveling through.

Thanks in advance,

Bob
I80 can be long and boring. Be aware of weather at that time of year, we did a long loop of western states fall of 2017. We were heading west from Custer SD to Greybull WY for an overnight before going through Cody and on to West Yellowstone. This was the last week of September and a storm had dumped close to a foot of snow in Yellowstone within 24 hours. If going west, hit Yellowstone on the way and then try further south going back, Oregon, Utah, etc. West Yellowstone has private and National camps but please plan on spending a minimum of 3 days at the park, you will love it. We drove it in a sports car 6 years ago and want to go back. Same for I90. good for booking time but boring.
Midicat60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 02:54 PM   #28

I live just off of I-80 in Park City, UT so when heading east I am kind of stuck to take I-80 but I minimize my time on that interstate. It is always windy through Wyoming, rough road and LOTS of truck traffic and not much to see. We usually only go as far as Rawlins then head NE and make our way toward the Black Hills. Or, we head north to Jackson Hole and then east to Devils Tower and across to Black Hills then east on I-90. Still a bit windy but better road, less traffic and more places to see. I use RVTrip Wizard to plan my trips and they show state, federal and private camp sites. We usually stay in about 1/3 private and 2/3 state and federal if they have electrical hookup.
HJ Rosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 04:02 PM   #29

If you go (or come) east on I-90 from Rapid City past Wall there is a National Park for the Air Force Minuteman Missile. You can visit a Launch Control Center and a Launch Facility. The Minuteman is the weapon system that won the Cold War. Please stop by, you will not be disappointed.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:47 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarlicDude View Post
Having visited that area this Sept. I would highly recommend getting off I-80 and visiting Custer State Park in South Dakota. Blue Bell Campground is a great place to camp. Mt. Rushmore, and the Bad Lands are nearby. We enjoyed our time at Custer more than our time at Yellowstone.
Spent a week in this area the last two summers. It is awesome and Custer Park is a must see. We stayed at Beaver Creek RV Park.
Kar Kaddy SS
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 05:08 AM   #31

Don’t forget Crazy Horse Memorial
Old 12-12-2018, 09:14 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheekjo View Post
Don’t forget Crazy Horse Memorial
In South Dakota near Rapid City.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote