Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-14-2014, 12:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmooney View Post
This is an excellent opportunity to track and record your DC power use so that you will know going forward how long you can/should run while dry camping.

Remember that ideally, you only what to go to 50% of your battery capacity, 85amps before recharging, except on rare occasions. Doing so will shorten the life of your batteries

Use a good digital millimeter to check on your battery condition. There are some charts out there that estimate the "voltage" to % utilization. Use these to understand where your use is at different stages of your outing. Remember that the most accurate voltage reading is when the battery is at rest for +30 minutes.

If you can begin to plot typical usage, you can project your run times and when you need to plan to recharge.
Adding a solar panel can also be a great way to top off your battery throughout the day
Here's is a voltchart like jmooney described as posted in another thread by the infamous Roybraddy. I printed this chart, laminated it and posted it in the command center cabinet in our greyhawk. This makes the process so easy
even a "Kave" Man can do it!!
Attached Thumbnails
voltchart1.gif  

Old 07-17-2014, 06:01 PM   #12

Just hooked up the second battery. Easy as pie. Just hope my LED's show up from china before the end of the month!

Old 07-17-2014, 10:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiltDog View Post
Just ordered 20 LED bulbs. Anyone have experience with these? At this price my expectations are low, but they get very good positive reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/GRV-24-3528-Su...8+SMD+LED+Bulb
You may be disappointed in the light output of those. You will need a 48 smd light to get the lumen output that is close to the stock incandescent bulbs. A 24 smd light will probably work above the bunks and bed where you don't need a bright light but they will be too dim for the main task lighting.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:00 PM   #14

I ordered those exact same ones. For the price you can't go wrong - but I am suspect that I'll need a few of the larger panel style LED lights for the main lighting. It will be nice having two different brightness options for bulbs since some of them were too bright to begin with.
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:39 PM   #15

You should be able to do most of it on one SRM 24 battery. We rustic camp a lot and we do a few things to help. Obviously keep the light use to a minimum, we have battery powered lanterns for inside. We take showers, but the navy style. We also use the water heater to take showers, then wait for it to reheat the tank. Once it's complete, we shut it off for the day. It stays hot for a while. Big blue jug outside for handwashing and tooth brushing. If you don't use the furnace it'll go for several days. We can get about 6 days out of our SRM 29 battery doing this. You can use the furnace but it does draw a lot of power for the fan. We often bring a little buddy heater with us if we think we will need heat. We easily do weeklong trips on 2 batteries. Using the furnace through the night with one 29 battery is about 2-3 nights for us.
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiltDog View Post
Just ordered 20 LED bulbs. Anyone have experience with these? At this price my expectations are low, but they get very good positive reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/GRV-24-3528-Su...8+SMD+LED+Bulb
I have some of these in my 5er and they work very well however, I did have two of them burn out, but after 2 years the other 8 are just fine. The output was the same (or better) as the 921 bulbs. As a matter of fact, I only have one LED in several of the two-bulb fixtures because they were so bright.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:37 AM   #17

New LED's arrived yesterday. The box was so small I thought they only sent me two, not twenty. Bulbs are much smaller than I thought they would be. Installation time took longer than I thought it would too. You really have to force them in which made me nervous. I will say that every bulb worked. I've read online reviews saying several bulbs wouldn't light but I did not have that experience.

Once they were installed, I didn't notice that the light level was any less or more. In the one picture showing a LED next to the stock bulb, the LED looks dimmer. Not as noticeable when you are standing in the space, IMO. Very happy with the bulbs. For $46.50 a very economic option to extend my dry camping.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0423[1].jpg   IMG_0424[1].jpg   IMG_0425[1].jpg