Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-16-2023, 03:50 AM   #1

Generator Blues

There’s no problem with my generator because I don’t have a generator. The 184BH has .64KW of solar and a 280AH Lithium battery. I have the generator blues when a rig parks 100 ft. away and a gas engine runs all night! It’s funny, boondockers want to get away from the city, pollution and noise. But they bring the noise with them! LOL

Anyway now that’s off my chest, I’ll go back to sleep and dream generators ;-)
Attached Thumbnails
6FAAB83C-98A5-40B3-9E83-4B5A950705CE.jpg  
campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 05:49 AM   #2

I run a generator at times while boondocking. Sometimes I'll use the pro power unit on board my truck, other times a reasonably quiet one. Generally if someone is within my visual range I will check for signs of life or if vehicles are present before firing it up.

Last summer in Michigan at a NFS site around five pm our little section of five sites all turned on at the same time and turned off at the same time. It seemed like we all had the same idea.

My worst experience was after five days of silence two campsites filled up and they ran their open frame for hours while they are away. If you're going to do that be responsible and stay with the generator.
Old 02-16-2023, 08:27 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
I run a generator at times while boondocking. Sometimes I'll use the pro power unit on board my truck, other times a reasonably quiet one. Generally if someone is within my visual range I will check for signs of life or if vehicles are present before firing it up….
Nice to know and considerate of you!
I’ve boondocked for 11 months and there’s nothing worse than a generator disturbing the peace. Some folks aren’t considerate, aware of their surroundings or neighbors. Perhaps a new law, “No generator use between the hours of 10 pm - 5 am”.
Old 02-16-2023, 08:30 AM   #4

At lake mead sitting around a beautiful evening campfire with friends. About 75 yds away a guy starts his open frame genny. It ran for 40 min., sputtered and ran out of gas. Applause and whoops erupt from neighbors. Unfortunately 10 min. later it was refueled and restarted, probably missing an important TV show....ugh! Noisy open frame generators have their place, a campground with neighbors isn't one!
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 10:37 AM   #5
AHW

I think a lot of people run their generators because they don't take proper care of their batteries and they can't run anything including lights and water pump without needing external power. Some generator noise is ok in my book but hours upon hours is overkill.

Andrew
AHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 10:49 AM   #6

I have boondocked off and on for ~40 years now. What I have determined is that generator usage is most prevalent when the temperatures are uncomfortably high or low. I suspect some people require the air to be conditioned for health reasons.

Now days, I suspect many (some) RV'rs run their generator overnight simply to keep the fridge cold which is in part why I don't recommend a residential fridge for those who desire to boondock. ~CA
Old 02-16-2023, 02:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
…Now days, I suspect many (some) RV'rs run their generator overnight simply to keep the fridge cold which is in part why I don't recommend a residential fridge for those who desire to boondock. ~CA
I replaced the original unit with a Vitrifrigo marine/RV 24vdc fridge…uses less the 2AH.
Old 02-16-2023, 02:44 PM   #8

Our Jayco is simply not setup for boondocking. Our 2016 is a Campground Full Hookup Queen. One small battery, no room for others without major modifications. Not setup for Lithiums.

I added 200 watts of Solar but that's about it. If it's cold out, the battery will run the furnace for most -- but not all -- of the night. Recently we both got CPAPs. That'll add even more drain. I measure that we'd get about three hours of dual CPAP use before the battery was dead.

I'm extremely self-conscious of running the generator. I don't like the noise either. I recently got the chance to buy the smaller 2300 Ryobi generator for $350. It's quiet but still not quiet enough.

I've spent quite a few hours in the shop trying to craft a Quiet Box to knock the noise down more.

Trust me, I don't like running the generator either. But until I can do some extensive modifications to add some capacity to this thing, I'm stuck.
Old 02-16-2023, 03:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
Our Jayco is simply not setup for boondocking. Our 2016 is a Campground Full Hookup Queen. One small battery, no room for others without major modifications. Not setup for Lithiums.

I added 200 watts of Solar but that's about it. If it's cold out, the battery will run the furnace for most -- but not all -- of the night. Recently we both got CPAPs. That'll add even more drain. I measure that we'd get about three hours of dual CPAP use before the battery was dead.

I'm extremely self-conscious of running the generator. I don't like the noise either. I recently got the chance to buy the smaller 2300 Ryobi generator for $350. It's quiet but still not quiet enough.

I've spent quite a few hours in the shop trying to craft a Quiet Box to knock the noise down more.

Trust me, I don't like running the generator either. But until I can do some extensive modifications to add some capacity to this thing, I'm stuck.
I have the same Ryobi that I use when the big 4k unit is not required. I thought of making a quiet box for it but never got around to it. There is a ton of noise suppressing materials out there that may do the job. If you end up making a box, please post your results.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 05:26 PM   #10

Here's what not to do. I placed mine in the bed of my truck and left the tonneau cover partly closed and the tailgate up. The generator ran fine, it marginally cut down noise, and left an exhaust mark on the white inside of the bed. Oops.
Old 02-16-2023, 06:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
Here's what not to do. I placed mine in the bed of my truck and left the tonneau cover partly closed and the tailgate up. The generator ran fine, it marginally cut down noise, and left an exhaust mark on the white inside of the bed. Oops.
When I was a green idiot I set my Honda EU 2000i just inside my trailer door, with the exhaust blowing outward, to keep it out of the rain while running. Just to exercise it, I guess, or to hear it run. I was a stupid newbee.

The wind blew the door shut and the exhaust melted a hole into the inner side of the door panel. I lived with the melted hole for years, but finally found a sheet of plastic that I glued over the lower section of the door. Looks like a well thought out kick plate on the door now. LOL
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 07:10 PM   #12
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by campin View Post
There’s no problem with my generator because I don’t have a generator. The 184BH has .64KW of solar and a 280AH Lithium battery. I have the generator blues when a rig parks 100 ft. away and a gas engine runs all night! It’s funny, boondockers want to get away from the city, pollution and noise. But they bring the noise with them! LOL

Anyway now that’s off my chest, I’ll go back to sleep and dream generators ;-)

Unless you have a massive battery bank, there is a point where you have to start the generator. I boon docked for weeks north of Flagstaff but at some point I had to start the genny but I was far enough away from anyone else that if you heard it you were too close.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 07:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post

Most people that have CPAP turn everything off and run for days and days. If I used mine the way it is I would make it one night on one battery. If I go into settings and turn off the humidifier and the heated hose I can run it all week
Old 02-16-2023, 08:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
When I was a green idiot I set my Honda EU 2000i just inside my trailer door, with the exhaust blowing outward, to keep it out of the rain while running. Just to exercise it, I guess, or to hear it run. I was a stupid newbee.

The wind blew the door shut and the exhaust melted a hole into the inner side of the door panel. I lived with the melted hole for years, but finally found a sheet of plastic that I glued over the lower section of the door. Looks like a well thought out kick plate on the door now. LOL
The soot washed off. I probably could clean up the rest but I'm leaving it as a reminder.
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 09:11 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Unless you have a massive battery bank, there is a point where you have to start the generator. I boon docked for weeks north of Flagstaff but at some point I had to start the genny but I was far enough away from anyone else that if you heard it you were too close.
Not true, you’re uniformed about solar. I’ve been in the off grid business for years and designed, installed my system. Knowledge = Power. I won’t discuss system basics unless you’d like to know. …just be considerate when using a generator!
Old 02-17-2023, 10:07 AM   #16

Not everyone has a solar setup as awesome as yours surely is. A generator can be had for much less than a large solar system and makes much more financial sense in most cases.
Old 02-17-2023, 11:27 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoamer View Post
Not everyone has a solar setup as awesome as yours surely is. A generator can be had for much less than a large solar system and makes much more financial sense in most cases.
Thnx for the compliment. And I’m not dead set against generators. Gennys (noun for generator folks : ) should respect others who enjoy boondocking without the Noise. …especially during early morning hours, it’s that simple!
Old 02-18-2023, 12:21 PM   #18

Most all CG's that are the dry type (No Elec, W, Sewer) have times for no noise. It's always no loud noise after 10 PM.

If you're out in the boonies then all bets are off. You can't expect everyone else to adhere to your wishes.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 04:59 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
If you're out in the boonies then all bets are off. You can't expect everyone else to adhere to your wishes.
The only thing I wish is quiet Inside my RV in the early morning hours.
Old 02-19-2023, 08:46 AM   #20

Worst case scenario, the foam type earplugs are inexpensive and comfortable to wear. Or, if you're like me, just remove your hearing aids and it gets quieter instantly!