Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post

You do realize now that the SOLAR bug has bitten you, there is no turning back

Don

I LOVE that bug ..

2010 Ford F-250 XLT (traded)
2013 Keystone Laredo 294RK (traded)
ArcticFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 04:12 PM   #12

Don, I'm not on a tight budget.. My goal is to be able to maintain my life style no matter where I'm setting. I don't see me ever getting rid of our generator. I have and use a toaster oven daily. When needed, we run the AC. I make coffee with an electric maker. We use the microwave as needed. I have no intention of changing any of that. We like dry camping much more then full hookups. Mainly because of less people and more open country. We talked a couple years ago when I put two additional batteries on the back of our Fifth wheel and ran 4 Ga. cable along the frame to the them into the main batteries. I have 2 batteries in the battery box and two batteries on the rear carrier. All US deep cycle batteries. Because the main battery box is a compartment in the side of the trailer that gives no addition room for anything including taller batteries ( thats why I have 12 volt instead of 6), I have to get creative when talking about controllers and battery shut offs. I have to try and figure where to put it. None of this can go in the battery compartment. All this leads to that controller size means something. I guess in truth, that was one reason that the suitcase appealed to me. I didn't have to deal with where to put additional equipment. The thought of putting 100 or 150 watt panel on the top in addition to the suitcase is certainly enticing tho.

Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
2x
If you mount one on the TT and keep it running all the time, it will keep your battery topped off when you are not using it. Even in the shade you will be charging, although at a somewhat reduced rate. You can always add the second one when you get to your camp site.

Don
After due consideration, I have elected to buy a second Renogy suitcase panel. The fact that I would have to make major modifications to make an area for the controller and fuse panel on our unit with the factory battery box being isolated in such a way that made change very difficult. Also recognizing that I have batteries on the rear as well as in the side of our 5th wheel, made having two suitcase panels available for maximum versatility the better option in my mind. Thanks to all for there opinions and options.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:04 PM   #14

Ela....you have me thinking about this system now.
I just want a "just in case" solar in case I can't fit into a site and have to take a non powered option. I have a res fridge and need to keep the batteries up.
Plus I have the two batteries in my truck for a real emergency.
The most I would be powerless is 3 maybe 4 days.
For $250 this panel might be worth it.
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:14 PM   #15

I was truly impressed with a single panels ability to recharge a fairly large battery bank if you keep them facing in the sun. I ran 8 ga. 25 ft. extension wires on it which gave me even more versatility. Overstock.com has them for $239.49. My second one is in transit now.