Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-04-2024, 09:39 AM   #1

Trust your solar.

We are currently boondocking, practicing for when we really start this Spring, trying to iron out any issues we might encounter this year.

Like others, we put in our own solar. Panels, multiplus, batteries and other stuff. It's winter and the days are shorter, more weather happens and we feel if we can handle this, we and handle most situations (except for intense heat).

We decided that cooking our food was important to us. Microwave meals are not for us. We have a couple of energy hogs while cooking, insta pot, induction cooktop, juicer and others.

Yesterday, was a real test since it was very overcast and rainy. We made coffee and tea, had a hot breakfast and a complete dinner. At the end of the day, we were down to 73% battery. This morning, clear and sunny, we were back to 100%

We run our fridge on electric during the day, propane at night. I switch to 12vdc at night as we have a bunch of phantom loads.

With care, we should be set for the Spring.
2019 F-150
Semix-Hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 03:13 PM   #2

Wow, that's a lot of solar. Running a propane fridge on electric is really inefficient. Guess it works for you.
Mike&Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 04:09 PM   #3

I've been reading a lot about propane/120vac fridges. That said, I've been running the fridge on electric when my batteries are on or near 100% so the power would just be wasted (if that's the proper term).

I read about people using the excess power to heat water though we have a tankless heater.

Thank you for the comment.
2019 F-150
Old 01-11-2024, 11:55 AM   #4

What are your battery and solar sizes?
jaycojake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 09:23 AM   #5

I have a little over 800 amps of battery and 1600 watts of panels on the roof, with 670 watts on a ground mount set up during winter.

Around 2.5 times wattage during the winter and 2 times during late spring, summer, early fall when light is better.

I just bought tilts for my roof mounts. The difference during the winter is amazing.
2019 F-150