Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-23-2019, 09:01 PM   #1

2019 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB - dealer stock only

Forum,

Why is the 2019 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB limited to dealer stock only?

Why do you think this model is being discontinued?

It is the smallest of the Jayco Jay Flights and has many improvements over the the 212QB SLX version.

The Jayco 21QB has a larger refrigerator, gas+electric hot water, more cabinets, double fresh water tanks, larger door, a vent in the bathroom, better faucets, better table, and camera/solar pre-wiring, just to name a few. Plus it has an optional thermal package with enclosed undercarriage and a roof ladder option that is not available on the 212QB SLX.

Thanks
radk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 09:22 PM   #2

I've been looking at the same models and did see that 21QB is being discontinued.
mharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 09:30 PM   #3

Found the dealer's site that listed it as discontinued.

https://www.rvone.com/desmoinesrv/rv...ight-21QB/4390
Old 01-23-2019, 10:01 PM   #4

We went to the RV show and talked with the dealer that we bought our Jayflight from. Our model also has the same floor plan as one of the Jayflight SLX models. The dealer told us he sells quite a bit more of the SLX models than the regular Jayflights. Often, new buyers want to get in for as little money as possible on a new unit, and they aren't thinking about the upgrades that do make a big difference once you're using it.

I would imagine that this is the issue with the 21QB. The SLX model is likely selling very well. For many people, the upgrades simply aren't worth it to them.

I'm with you; I like the upgrades. The additional cabinets make all the difference in the world to me. There are four of us, and we aren't weekenders--we typically camp on school breaks, so that is at least one week. (We have a 16 day trip planned this summer, and another one in summer that will have us gone for close to a week.) Our cabinets are fairly full, and it's stuff that is used. Kitchen items, medicines, towels, clothing. In a trailer with no slides, things need to be put away.

Although they aren't a necessity like the cabinets, we've appreciated the other upgrades like the power jack, water heater that can run on propane or electricity, the roof ladder, and the larger rear storage door.

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALCOFLLANMTXsm.jpg
Octopus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:23 PM   #5

We purchased ours last year and have been so happy with it. We almost bought the SLX on the lot but did more research and decided that the upgrades in the 21QB were worth it to us so we ordered one. There is a full medicine cabinet vs. a mirror in the SLX. I'm not saying that is why we purchased one vs. the other, but many things added up to a better value IMO. I'm tall and the larger door was important, but the larger fridge, extra cabinets, additional water tank, roof ladder, and increased cargo capacity added up enough to make our decision to the buy the 21QB easy.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:28 PM   #6

I'm sorry to see that it is being discontinued.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:43 PM   #7

Here's a link to the price on the one in Des Moines, I wish I could get up there and work out a trade for my 195RB. It's a couple thousand less than the price of the 212QB SLX at our local dealer where we're trying to work out a deal.
https://rvdirect.com/stockmodels.php?stocknum=DT5502
Old 01-23-2019, 10:57 PM   #8

I hope it works out for you. That is a good price. The 21QB has a porcelain toilet vs. a plastic one in the SLX if I recall. Just another difference between the two. With the 21QB being discontinued I bet it won't last long.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:59 PM   #9

The 21QB has larger propane tanks too.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:04 PM   #10

I'm guessing the profit margins are better on the 212QB SLX. With all the upgrades and available options that are put into the full Jayco Jay Flight, they discontinued the smallest 21QB to drive purchases toward the larger and more expensive models. Let me know if you agree.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:20 PM   #11

Another option is the Starcraft 21FB... it's basically the same trailer and the perfect size for easy towing and way bigger than an 18' camper.

What I like about the Starcraft is that it has a walk in shower instead of a tub. The shower is low to the floor, without stepping so high to get in a tub. Perfect for us old guys with not the best balance anymore.

Apparently, Starcraft is kin to the Jayco too.

I see them listed new in the RV Trader... Starcraft 21FB
Old 01-26-2019, 07:40 AM   #12

I was wondering when this might happen. Jayco also did it with the 23RB floor plan. I bought mine new in 2017. In 2018, the regular Jay Flight model was discontinued, and that particular floor plan could only be bought in the SLX level.

I would never have bought my 21RB type floor plan if it had only been offered in SLX model line. For me, the cabinets over the bed instead of a shelf would have been a deal breaker. Also, I like the 30# propane bottles, and the large folding entrance handle rather than the very small handle. The power tongue jack is meh. I absolutely want a power tongue jack, but my experience is Jayco puts a cheap Chinese off brand on their trailers. I've already replaced the old tongue that came on my 2017 for a great OEM tongue jack.

Except for the tongue jack, I don't want to have to add a large handle, 30# bottles, etc after market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mharrison View Post
I've been looking at the same models and did see that 21QB is being discontinued.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 08:25 AM   #13

He's the tongue jack my dealer has on their website. They asked if I wanted one installed, any accessories I buy the day of pickup is 15% off and they install free. Haven't decided I might wait and put one on later. And a $50 gift card.

https://shop.trailsiderv.net/product...gue-jack-black
Old 01-27-2019, 02:24 AM   #14

I’d get the power jack. Useful when putting on the weight distribution bars. More up and down than with a normal hitch.
Old 02-02-2019, 07:43 PM   #15

Same with us. We looked at both the 2017 23rb and SLX. We went with the 23rb because of the upgrades and happy with our decision. Looks like Jayco Jayhawk line is phasing out the shorter models for SLX's with similar floor plans.
F250dieseldad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:55 PM   #16

I meant to say Jayco JayFlight.
F250dieseldad is offline   Reply With Quote