Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-29-2014, 12:09 AM   #31

We camp in the US because for us it's often faster to get to the US than it is to go pretty well anywhere else worth camping at in our own province! Shopping is also a big bonus.

kodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:42 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodes View Post
We camp in the US because for us it's often faster to get to the US than it is to go pretty well anywhere else worth camping at in our own province! Shopping is also a big bonus.
This is one of the reasons we camp in the states, we have no issues crossing the border with our trailer, don't bring firewood with bark on it or wood that may contain bugs. We bring mill ends to burn or buy wood when we get down there. We know of a few places that sell wood along the way to state parks as well as using Craigslist if we are staying for a longer period of time. We travel with our dog and bring her food in the original bag although we have never been asked about it.

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Derek700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 02:57 PM   #33

For us in SW Ontario to get to many of the Ontario Parks, we have to go thru the dreaded Toronto traffic. Much easier for us to nip across at Port Huron into Michigan either the northern section of lower Michigan or into the UP. However, with our dollar now at 79 cents, you may start to see fewer Ontario plates.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:51 PM   #34

Smile Canadian Border Crossing-

Very Bad experience!
Took 45 minutes!
I have Veteran License plates! That means that I have handled firearms-perhaps own some. Very lenghty questions! Of course, you do not take firearms to Canada unless hunting and go through the registration process. They did find a small pepper spray which I was informed is a lethal weapon and was confiscated. Very interesting was the fact that BEAR Spray which is 6 0r 7 times bigger is allowed. They told me that they confiscates loads of pink pepper spray that attach to key chains. I wonder if they make a point of stopping Veterans as when asked if you have shot firearms-they answer is always yes. At least IF you suffered through basic training and heaven help you if defended your country in WW2 or Vietnam, etc. I hope all you vets have a better experience!!!Heaven help you if you have a Bronze Star for Valor-You shot at someone!!!
Skyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 04:42 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyking View Post
Very Bad experience!
Took 45 minutes!
I wonder if they make a point of stopping Veterans as when asked if you have shot firearms-they answer is always yes. At least IF you suffered through basic training and heaven help you if defended your country in WW2 or Vietnam, etc. I hope all you vets have a better experience!!!Heaven help you if you have a Bronze Star for Valor-You shot at someone!!!
Part of this is me and I've never had a problem at the boarder and if I were detained I would just brush it off. I live within 10 miles of it and hear about some of their problems and there not just with the low life's. You might never be stopped again.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 04:49 PM   #36

Quote:
Very Bad experience!
Took 45 minutes!
I have Veteran License plates! That means that I have handled firearms-perhaps own some. Very lenghty questions! Of course, you do not take firearms to Canada unless hunting and go through the registration process. They did find a small pepper spray which I was informed is a lethal weapon and was confiscated....snip...
Thank you for your service.

I have been across the border MANY times. Most times the waits were due to high number of people crossing at that place at that time. But occasionally I have had my vehicle/RV searched. And I have had to answer many questions at times. Never once have I been asked about ever firing a weapon, but going into Canada they do ask every time about having a weapon in the vehicle.

Did the questions they asked you come after the pepper spray was found?

Have you checked with other Veterans? Does having those plates really trigger closer inspections at the border?
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 05:19 PM   #37

As another post said, much depends on the mood of the agent you meet at the border. As Canadians, we are proud of those who have served, on either side of the border. Thank you for your brave service.

On edit, I will also say this.....for several years immediately after 9-11, border crossings were very tense, and for good reason. Lately, they are more calm by comparison, but still strict, also for good reason. ISIS radicalization is the current threat. I do applaud vigilance. I'm not saying you or anyone on JOF would be in this category. Like it or not, we presently live in dangerous times. I just say Yes Sir, No Sir, like I was talking to a commander.
Old 02-21-2015, 05:32 PM   #38

Questions before small pepper spray was found! Another question-was I trained in use of firearms?? Seems a foolish question for a veteran?? Anyway- it was so offensive I may never go back!! Maybe I am too sensitive?!?
Skyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 05:58 PM   #39

Are you too sensitive? No one can answer that.
Was the agent a dork? Maybe.
Not to ever go back because of a border dork? A shame.

Our experience is that if a Canadian will speak to you in English, then they will be friendly, helpful, and courteous.
If they only speak to you only in French, well... not so much.

And right now the exchange rate makes travel there a bit less expensive. Of course buying fuel by the 'quart' is a pia!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 06:24 PM   #40

Quote:
Questions before small pepper spray was found! Another question-was I trained in use of firearms?? Seems a foolish question for a veteran?? Anyway- it was so offensive I may never go back!! Maybe I am too sensitive?!?
Maybe it was just small talk, I couldn't stand to do that job all day, week and year and have to ask the saaame questions and sit in that little box. Then you have to figure out who the bad guy really is, not a job I would want!
Canada is so beautiful and cleaner I might add ( litter wise ), go back and enjoy that beautiful land and all it has to offer.

Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote