Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-13-2020, 08:50 AM   #1

I Apologize!

To all friends and family who have visited and spent a night on our hide-a-bed sofa, I apologize! To those who have spent more than one night with us, the strength of our friendship is clearly based on love, fun times, great food and a well stocked adult beverage cabinet. We spent last night on that torture platform and are embarrassed to realize just how horrible this thing is. Please know that we do understand a sleeping space should be level and not have a slope resulting in your feet being elevated 3” above your nose. That bar across the center is a fact of folding beds but I’m sorry it’s design has it positioned under the thinnest section of foam. We promise to investigate some sort of topper or air bladder to help this thing but first, I need to ensure the path is clear so the big brown truck isn’t hindered from delivering our new gel mattress.
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:03 AM   #2

Lol, I fully understand! I stayed in a cabin Saturday night on the world's worse bunk bed. The cross bar was mid back, and I hurt all night.

Think of it this way, they will not want to overstay their welcome.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 10:12 AM   #3
Site Team

Maybe that's why we never have overnite guests? Hmmmm
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 01:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Maybe that's why we never have overnite guests? Hmmmm
And the problem with this is what again?? Lol!
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 01:36 PM   #5

Unfortunately, my buddy reports the fold-out bed in our rig to be pretty comfortable.

At least when it's set up right!!

First night, DW set it up. Second night, me and him tried to set it up and messed it up something awful. Not like permanent damage or anything, we just forgot/couldn't figure out how to fold down one of the sections. So he slept on it sideways. I figured out what we had done wrong in the morning and apologized. He said "Well, I don't care. At least I didn't have to sleep outside on the ground!"

One too many beers around the campfire I guess...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 02:14 PM   #6

I am confused.. Is the hide a bed in the RV or the house? We have one of those abominations in the house which makes our guests flee to the RV . My teenage grandson runs fast to get it first. He thinks it of his teen cave.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 03:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
I am confused.. Is the hide a bed in the RV or the house? We have one of those abominations in the house which makes our guests flee to the RV . My teenage grandson runs fast to get it first. He thinks it of his teen cave.
I was talking about the one in the camper.

Haven't had one in the house in MANY years. Technically never in our current house. Last one I owned was in an apartment in college...

And I've been trying to convince DW to let me get rid of the one in the camper pretty much since before we bought it! LOL!!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 05:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
I am confused.. Is the hide a bed in the RV or the house?
This is the torture devise in the RV. We’re abandoning the king bed on our Pinnacle and converting to a queen to get some walk around room. Had someone who wanted the month old king gel “now” so we thought WTH, one night on the sofa sleeper won’t be so bad . Should have slept on the empty platform.
Old 01-13-2020, 05:30 PM   #9

Are we talking about the jack-knife or tri-fold sofa?

2021 Coachmen Freelander 29KB
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
NSA Ready Brute Elite II tow bar
Springhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 06:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springhook View Post
Are we talking about the jack-knife or tri-fold sofa?
Tri-fold
Old 01-13-2020, 08:01 PM   #11

Due to a medical condition of DW I slept on the trifold sofa till I could barely walk. I finally had enough and modified the sofa. I removed the seat and modified the frame. I ordered a custom made mattress 69 inches long by 30 inches wide with custom fitted sheets. Now I have a bed for myself that is extremely comfortable, is still used as a sofa, can still access storage underneath and can raise one end 6 inches when acid reflux strikes. The sofa can be converted to a bed and back in less than 60 seconds.

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 08:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
And I've been trying to convince DW to let me get rid of the one in the camper pretty much since before we bought it! LOL!!
The bride and I never slept on ours and rarely sat on it. Our son & DIL complained about how uncomfortable it was to sleep on. The pivotal moment was finding them in the recliners one morning trying to get some sleep. I embarked on a mission to replace it with something more useful.
The tri-fold wound up at the curb on heavy trash day. The replacement is a 3 recliner piece from Thomas Payne and an aero-bed inflatable.
Very comfortable seating for 5 now (original recliners + the TP addition). The inflatable is theirs so they bring it when they travel with us. The 5th seat is for the 12yo GS.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 02:02 PM   #13

We purchased a 2019 Jayco Northpoint 377RLBH and believe me it was not cheap. We have a tri-fold sleeper in the mid-bunk room and of course the sofa is a tri-fold sleeper as well. I attempted to sleep on them during our inaugural camping trip and found myself not only discouraged by how uncomfortable they were, but I was downright furious! Neither of the three sections are at the same height as the other two. And neither of the sections have the same density. You’d think if you’re going to ask someone to spend that kind of money on your product that you’d produce something with quality beds.
K Holbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 02:38 PM   #14

When we visit our oldest son, he sometimes spends the night with us so he doesn't have to drive back home from the campground. I was trying to convince the DW to let me swap that dang hide-a-bed for a theater loveseat but she says we have to keep it for the son. Last time, he said he was never going to sleep on that torture rack again. Luckily, I still have a twin-size inflatable bed we used for other visiting kids at home so that is coming with us next time we visit that son. Now, I still have to convince the DW to actually get rid of the hide-a-bed.
Yamaha XT250
berwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 06:40 PM   #15

If they're not paying rent...don't worry about it
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 07:16 PM   #16

[QUOTE=K Holbrook;824654]We purchased a 2019 Jayco Northpoint 377RLBH and believe me it was not cheap. We have a tri-fold sleeper in the mid-bunk room and of course the sofa is a tri-fold sleeper as well. I attempted to sleep on them during our inaugural camping trip and found myself not only discouraged by how uncomfortable they were, but I was downright furious! Neither of the three sections are at the same height as the other two. And neither of the sections have the same density. You’d think if you’re going to ask someone to spend that kind of money on your product that you’d produce something with quality beds.[/QUOTE

I just spent the last 2 hours in my Northpoint looking for a way to level my tri-fold couch.I had seen some youtubes on how to adjust the legs to level them BUT, my rig does not have adjustable legs. Last year, we invited the DW's sister and her husband on a trip. FWIW, we discovered that the tri-fold is MUCH comfier if one sleeps with their head away from the back of the couch. (feet towards the backrest)

2021 Coachmen Freelander 29KB
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
NSA Ready Brute Elite II tow bar
Springhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 10:32 PM   #17

We found the same

[QUOTE=Springhook;824737]
Quote:
Originally Posted by K Holbrook View Post
We purchased a 2019 Jayco Northpoint 377RLBH and believe me it was not cheap. We have a tri-fold sleeper in the mid-bunk room and of course the sofa is a tri-fold sleeper as well. I attempted to sleep on them during our inaugural camping trip and found myself not only discouraged by how uncomfortable they were, but I was downright furious! Neither of the three sections are at the same height as the other two. And neither of the sections have the same density. You’d think if you’re going to ask someone to spend that kind of money on your product that you’d produce something with quality beds.[/QUOTE

I just spent the last 2 hours in my Northpoint looking for a way to level my tri-fold couch.I had seen some youtubes on how to adjust the legs to level them BUT, my rig does not have adjustable legs. Last year, we invited the DW's sister and her husband on a trip. FWIW, we discovered that the tri-fold is MUCH comfier if one sleeps with their head away from the back of the couch. (feet towards the backrest)
Our 26yr old daughter slept an uncomfortable night on our Tri-fold loveseat (head low feet high). We switched her around the next night, and placed a thin folded blanket across the folds. We use a sleeping bag instead of sheets. She slept fine
Johnnymailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 11:00 PM   #18

Two-Fold Sofa

The sofa in our 2018 Greyhawk 29MV was positively awful. (Free to anyone who wants it.)

Lambright Custom Chairs is an Amish company in Topeka, IN, (in the general Elkhart area.) They built us a custom dual electric recliner that is the most comfortable piece of furniture that we own, perfectly sized to our available space. It is also significantly lighter than the piece that it replaced.

Bounce back if if you have questions.

Gramps
Mzellers5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 07:08 AM   #19

Our 2019 5th wheel has a 68" tri fold out, I've slept on it and agree - NOT comfortable for all the reasons noted. I've been looking better solution, probably go with home model with built in memory foam. Problem is can I find one that will fit through door!
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote