Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-10-2012, 01:04 PM   #11

Ask a lot of questions; think of possible scenarios and directly ask those questions. For example; a coworker HAD RV specific insurance on their last TT. This spring it was caught in a flood at the CG. Their insurance company denied reimbursement on the TT as it had RV insurance and did not have a flood rider. At the time she still owed $27K on the TT.

I keep all my insurance with one company (State Farm), and have been very happy with them. The TT is covered under their automotive underwriter’s branch. I am fully covered as long as I keep comprehensive on the TT. I also have an additional Umbrella Policy. IF I would insure one of my classic cars, trailers or my house with another company my umbrella policy would not cover those items.

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:38 PM   #12

Something we all need to always remember about insurance...

1) They are in business to make a profit.
2) Agents, Brokers and/or Sales Representatives; who ever we buy insurance from, has a fudicary responsibilty to the the insurance company not to the insured.

The trick is to find an agent/company who can properly help you indentify your risk and provide the appropriate policy to insure against the risk. I am always very wary against agents/brokers that focus exclusively on cost reduction to win a new customer.

clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:48 PM   #13

"For example; a coworker HAD RV specific insurance on their last TT. This spring it was caught in a flood at the CG. Their insurance company denied reimbursement on the TT as it had RV insurance and did not have a flood rider."

Curious, was it on a seasonal campsite or in a traditional nightly fee campground? I have heard with Seasonal Setups that changes all the insurance requirements.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:15 PM   #14

Thanks for the responses! All my insurance is with State Farm and I have a specific policy for the 5th wheel. I have always been happy with them but received an invitation for a quote from Good Sam a couple of months after I joined. Knowing about Good Sam, how long they have been around plus specializing in RVs, I called for a quote. In their policy, 1st-5th year they replace camper with comparable camper for a total loss. 6th year and after they pay you what you paid on the bill of sale. Policy also comes with $3,000 in content coverage and $25,000 in vacation liability insurance in case someone gets hurt at the camp site. There price is less than half with better coverage. Adding the TV saves another 10% with a little better coverage on it and the policy saves me almost $900 a year compared to State Farm.
LA Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:31 PM   #15

Clubhouse, yes they are seasonal. She stated their insurance company changed their policy about 2 years ago without their permission (not sure I believe this) to reduce their costs. Knowing my coworker she was only looking for the lowest insurance cost possible, without looking at the possible consequences.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Scott View Post
Thanks for the responses! All my insurance is with State Farm and I have a specific policy for the 5th wheel. I have always been happy with them but received an invitation for a quote from Good Sam a couple of months after I joined. Knowing about Good Sam, how long they have been around plus specializing in RVs, I called for a quote. In their policy, 1st-5th year they replace camper with comparable camper for a total loss. 6th year and after they pay you what you paid on the bill of sale. Policy also comes with $3,000 in content coverage and $25,000 in vacation liability insurance in case someone gets hurt at the camp site. There price is less than half with better coverage. Adding the TV saves another 10% with a little better coverage on it and the policy saves me almost $900 a year compared to State Farm.
Sounds like a better deal than what you have now, $900 is a lot of fuel. Be careful though that your other policies don't increase if you begin to loose multi-car/policy discounts when you move something. Mighty be time for you too take a closer look at all of your policies. All of my insurance is with Allied Insurance, a Nation Wide company. Not available in every state, they are a particularly picky/risk adverse company. We have been very happy with them, although no major claims on any of our policies to date.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:27 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
Sounds like a better deal than what you have now, $900 is a lot of fuel. Be careful though that your other policies don't increase if you begin to loose multi-car/policy discounts when you move something. Mighty be time for you too take a closer look at all of your policies. All of my insurance is with Allied Insurance, a Nation Wide company. Not available in every state, they are a particularly picky/risk adverse company. We have been very happy with them, although no major claims on any of our policies to date.
Thanks, I will still have two other vehicles insured at State Farm so I will still have the multi discount. Will be checking on moving all my vehicles through Good Sam.
LA Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:49 PM   #18

Good Sam GMAC is what we have and am happy.
muelldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:25 AM   #19

We had Good Sam / GMAC Fulltimers coverage but at this years renewal they raised their price about 30% so I went shopping to see if I could do better.

Wound up going with Progressive Fulltimers Coverage, about the same cost the Good Sam / GMAC had been before the last renewal quote.

Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote