Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-05-2013, 05:15 PM   #11

That's too funny, I have to remember that advise!

Last time I was there was July of 2007 and it was HOT. Still beautiful, but we definitely had to keep hydrated.

2003 Ford F-250 XLT Lariat
6.0L Powerstroke V8
2013 Jayco JayFlight 24FBS
Equal-i-zer hitch
Tekonsha P3
BlueHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:00 PM   #12

On the go, thanks for posting this. My wife and I are going to do the same place but coming from the west and will probably do a lot of hiking. I hope you enjoy your holiday. We have never been there before and have read many articles on it from various RV magazines. Can't wait.

Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:18 AM   #13

You're welcome, Richard. I'm also gathering information. I like to know something about attractions and directions before I get there.

In the post above yours, BlueHaul said it was HOT during his visit. I hope we can say that when we're there - and not that it was too cold! I'm sure we will have a great time regardless of the temperature.

Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphie View Post
On the go, thanks for posting this. My wife and I are going to do the same place but coming from the west and will probably do a lot of hiking. I hope you enjoy your holiday. We have never been there before and have read many articles on it from various RV magazines. Can't wait.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:17 AM   #14

I think HOT was a relative statement. We have been in Yellowstone and Grand Teton many times over the years and when it's HOT, the temps are in the mid to high 70s. I don't consider that to be hot, I consider that to be very comfortable. Have a great trip and don't worry, Yellowstone and Grand Teton will not be too hot for you.
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:01 AM   #15

If my rusty memory serves, it was hovering around 90 when we were there during the day, but the evenings were very nice. We stayed in Beaver, UT then Salt Lake City, then Bear Lake, then Jackson Hole, WY. Every place we stayed the A/C got a workout. That was also the year they had a huge fire on the I-15 between Beaver and Salt Lake City. The smoke was crazy and we were listening to news reports on the radio that they were sending fire crews from a few different states to fight it. I will say that Wyoming was probably the coolest place we stayed. Beaver and Salt Lake City, UT were right near 100. We had a good laugh that when we got back to southern California it was nice and comfortable at 85! On the trip north, we stopped for lunch in Mesquite, NV. That was the hottest at 118, and I'll always remember it because we had to change a tire on our friend's trailer (we were in a 2 rig caravan) and kneeling on the asphalt was almost impossible! But aren't these the memories we look back on and cherish?

2003 Ford F-250 XLT Lariat
6.0L Powerstroke V8
2013 Jayco JayFlight 24FBS
Equal-i-zer hitch
Tekonsha P3
BlueHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:50 PM   #16

We went to Yellowstone last summer in late July and stayed at Canyon Villiage and Indian Creek. If I had one big regret it was that we didn't have an opportunity to hit the Grand Tetons while we were there.

If you drive there using hwy 90->14 there are 2 flavors of 14: 14, and alt-14. Both have amazing scenery if you want to take one on the way out and one on the way back. Alt-14 has a very extreme pass east of Lovell and outside of the bighorn national forest. It was an absolutely amazing view from the top (I think it's like a 6000 ft vertical) - but going eastbound it is a HUGE climb and gas-drain when towing a trailer. Make sure you keep your gas tank full as you get near it - don't ask me how I know You can google alt route 14 wyoming to get some info

Yellowstone is much bigger than I expected. We put 400+ miles on our truck inside the park while we were there. If we were to go back, I think we'd site-hop a bit more to get into the campgrounds that are closer to where we were going to spend our time in the following day, rather than staying in just 2 places and doing so much driving. the north-south roads tended to jam up while we were there - especially south of Canyon due to buffalo on the road - so driving takes longer than you'd expet too.
ringneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:43 PM   #17

I was just going to post a question regarding fuel consumption in the mountains. We to are headed west this coming summer, and Yellowstone is one of the destinations. At this time we are planning to enter Yellowstone from the East Entrance, not sure if that is a wise idea with the TT and leaving out the North Entrance. What kind of fuel efficiently drop can I expect in the mountains. In the flat lands of Minnesota I get between 9-12 mpg depending on my speed and if we are using the TV AC. With a 22 gal tank I try to fill up every 150 miles (1/4 tank left). I am wondering if I should not bring a couple of 5 gallon Jerry cans just in case.
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:25 AM   #18

Certainly you should fill up in Cody before entering from the east as the grade over Sylvan Pass is pretty steep and long. However, when you get into the park and drop your trailer, there are a lot of stations where you can fill up. Just be prepared for sticker shock, generally prices in the Parks are higher than almost anywhere in the whole rest of the US. You really shouldn't have any problem making it into the Park over Sylvan since it's only 50-60 miles from Cody into the Park. The drive will be worth it since when you top Sylvan Pass, you are "on top of the world" kinda and the views going into the Park are great. Have a great trip.
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:42 PM   #19

Thanks again for more good Yellowstone advice. It really is helpful. We will deal with the weather whatever it is. If there is one of the freak July snowfalls, we will have plenty to talk about. If it hits 90, we will drink more and sweat some, but we won't have to shovel.

We had planned on coming in from the south, but we might include Mt. Rushmore along the way so the east entrance could also be where we come in. The grades will be new to us. Going back-and-forth to Florida I think we have been on 6% grades but I don't remember that for sure. I'm sure the Rockies are in a class by themselves. We won't ask our equipment to more than it can. Our TT, the x17Z is smaller than most. Our TV is a F-150 4WD with a V8 and 36 gallon tank. So, I'm thinking unless something unusual happens we should be in good shape. Once again, we appreciate the good advive - and we will fillup in Cody.

OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote