Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-15-2019, 09:12 AM   #1

So it's NOT just the dealer after all?!?!?

First, this is NOT meant as a bashing of Jayco. It is merely an "experience" I have had that may help shine a bit of light on some of the issues many, including myself, have when pieces/parts don't arrive at your dealer in a timely fashion, or the wrong ones are shipped and then have to be reordered. With that said, here we go.

We took our Eagle back to Middlebury the week before Labor Day to get a new roof membrane, underbelly and a few other issues taken care of that were either botched during the initial build or totally messed up by our dealer during previous warranty repair visits.

After reading all the rave reviews about the factory service center, I thought why not, I couldn't go wrong if I take it back to the factory service center, right?

Made the appt. 5 months out and after agreeing to what is still going to be redone under warranty and what I have to pay out of pocket to get this all done. Jayco did step up and is paying a VERY large amount of the overall cost to fix not only things that were botched during the initial build, but items my dealer totally dropped the ball on as well. When they then told me they would need a mere 6 business days to complete everything, I was SHOCKED!
"WOW", I said to myself. THIS is what a service appointment should be like. Better than the 3-4 months our dealer has taken before for much less involved repairs. All those glowing reviews about this place were actually TRUE!

Everything went smoothly in getting our Eagle to the service center and checked in. Reaffirmed that we should get it back the next week. For the first time, I was driving home after dropping off our Eagle for repairs with a feeling I haven't had before. I was actually singing and humming all the way home! Not really but it sure felt completely different.

As the week went by and our scheduled pick up day approached, I anxiously awaited the call that our RV was done and to come pick it up. I was almost giddy for the first time since we got it. THIS time, I will end up with the RV we bought in the first place! And then..................

The scheduled pickup day rolled around but alas, not a word. Ok, I thought. It's around Labor day and so maybe they just got a bit behind with people taking long weekends or other trips. So what the heck, I will just give my contact at the service center a call. Long story short, my contact had taken an extended weekend with no mention of it on voice mail and it wasn't until I sent a follow up email later that evening that I found out she was "out of the office" for a few more days yet. No problem, I will just give another rep a call.

Actually got in contact with the same gentleman that checked us in the day I dropped off the unit. He quickly went and checked on my unit and called me back in about 30 minutes with an update but it wasn't what I was expecting in the least.

Was told the couple of minor things we were having done were completed and the roof membrane replacement was "coming along nicely" as well BUT......... (no, no, no No, NO!!!)

He said THEY were shipped the wrong underbelly, not once, not twice, but three times so far, and that they had no definitive date as to when the correct one might arrive or when our unit would be completed! It has now been 10 additional days since that original call and still no followup or word about our status so I am going to call again tomorrow for an update. So although we are no where near the months on end my dealer took for much less involved repair jobs, my giddiness has now morphed back towards dismay. I have no doubt they will eventually get it right and I still have high expectations that the quality of work done will be far and above what my dealer has EVER considered "acceptable", but still.

It's not like our model/floorplan is discontinued, just the opposite. We have a 2017 Eagle 330RSTS. The correct underbelly has to be still regularly produced and they had 5 months to prepare for this and make sure they had the correct parts, right?

I won't dare to suggest I know how all their orders and shipping methods work but can it really be that difficult? Especially when the model/floor plan is one of the most popular ones they make and things like the underbelly for my model is still regularly produced.

When it took my dealer almost a year and a half to get the right decal shipped for a cargo door that had to be replaced, I scratched my head and wondered just how incompetent could my dealer be? When it took over 6 months to get the right piece of skirting that needed to be replaced, how can that be? My dealer is just doing something wrong. It CAN'T be Jayco! It can't be that hard to order a decal or a piece of skirting when they are still making them on a regular basis could it? In hindsight, I guess it can be.

We aren't in a pinch just yet in regards to any future trips we have scheduled but just the notion that the FACTORY service center has these same types of issues just took me COMPLETELY by surprise. And here I thought it was just another "excuse" the dealers used when they haven't quite gotten to your RV yet but it seems that these types of things actually might be true?!? Say it ain't so!!! LOL

So with this recent turn of events, am I ready to admit that maybe my dealer isn't so bad after all? NOT A CHANCE! These types of issues are just a VERY small part of their history with me and some of their actions and what they considered to be "acceptable" repairs is all on them and no one else.

So I thought I would just leave this here for those that get this same line from their dealers and think it's all there fault when parts orders get delayed, or otherwise just wrong and have to be reordered. The reality is that it just might not be all their fault after all!
Old 09-15-2019, 10:52 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blujay40 View Post
It's not like our model/floorplan is discontinued, just the opposite. We have a 2017 Eagle 330RSTS. The correct underbelly has to be still regularly produced and they had 5 months to prepare for this and make sure they had the correct parts, right?

I won't dare to suggest I know how all their orders and shipping methods work but can it really be that difficult? Especially when the model/floor plan is one of the most popular ones they make and things like the underbelly for my model is still regularly produced.
Problem is JAYCO, just like many other manufacturers, order parts to be delivered about the time the unit goes into production. The Service Center does not take parts off the production line. If they are building 15 330RSTS the line gets 15 underbelly panels probably the day before production starts and no extras. Also the Service Center does not stock parts, they place the order with anticipated delivery when they need it. Normally things fall into place, but at times they don't.

Unfortunately for your repair the "supply chain" dropped a couple links.

As to the dealers, many on JOF have been told that by the dealer they are waiting, but after a call to JAYCO they have found the dealer didn't even order the part.

And yes there are problems on both sides.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:27 AM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
As Grumpy says. How many times at the dealership we get the wrong parts even if using the correct part numbers at ordering. The RV industry is a poorly organized without standardization. Sales are down so it is time for the RV industry to recoup.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 02:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
As Grumpy says. How many times at the dealership we get the wrong parts even if using the correct part numbers at ordering. The RV industry is a poorly organized without standardization. Sales are down so it is time for the RV industry to recoup.
I had a slide motor go bad last summer and both my dealer and Jayco each had a different p/n and neither matched the motor on the rv.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote