Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-22-2021, 03:59 PM   #1

What happened on our last trip?

We took the g’son to Galveston for a few days last week and walking around the CG (which was packed) I noticed the majority of the trailers looked NEW. I started paying attention to the license plates and many were still temp plates (paper).
I guess the rumors of an exploding demand for campers is true.

Nasty t-storm blew in late afternoon bringing high winds. Several folks were away (at the pool) and a couple awnings were destroyed by “external high-velocity atmospheric conditions triggering rapid auto-disassembly”.
Fortunately I got our awning rolled before any damage.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 04:04 PM   #2

That is not a rare occurrence if the awning is left out unattended. That’s a poor site to see. I saw one not too long ago.
Old 06-22-2021, 04:07 PM   #3

Me thinks it's a great time to learn some Mobile RV Tech Repair skills and start a business!
Old 06-22-2021, 04:15 PM   #4

Too many new campers learn the hard way and do no research before their purchase. They should all start here with are “ bone headed moments “ section.
Old 06-22-2021, 04:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
Too many new campers learn the hard way and do no research before their purchase. They should all start here with are “ bone headed moments “ section.
Two weeks ago I was camping in a state park about 2 hours from my home. I also noticed many new RVs. The camper next door (also a new TT) was having a hard time getting a campfire going. So I gave him some dry kindling and lend him my propane torch. I noticed he had his gray water valve open. I told him that was a big "no no" and that if he got caught by the ranger he would be getting a ticket. He did not seem to care at all about it. The next day, he got a ticket as someone walking their dog complained. The next morning as he was pulling out of his campsite, I noticed he did not disconnect his power cord from the pedestal. I yelled at him to stop but he did not hear me. Luckily, another camper stopped him about 300 feet away. My motto - I do a circle check 3 times before leaving the campsite.

Also, I always bring in the awning, even if I am going to be away for an hour. The weather can change in an instant.
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 05:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE MEEKER View Post
Two weeks ago I was camping in a state park about 2 hours from my home. I also noticed many new RVs. The camper next door (also a new TT) was having a hard time getting a campfire going. So I gave him some dry kindling and lend him my propane torch. I noticed he had his gray water valve open. I told him that was a big "no no" and that if he got caught by the ranger he would be getting a ticket. He did not seem to care at all about it. The next day, he got a ticket as someone walking their dog complained. The next morning as he was pulling out of his campsite, I noticed he did not disconnect his power cord from the pedestal. I yelled at him to stop but he did not hear me. Luckily, another camper stopped him about 300 feet away. My motto - I do a circle check 3 times before leaving the campsite.

Also, I always bring in the awning, even if I am going to be away for an hour. The weather can change in an instant.
Propane torch????????? Guess I need to get into the 21st century. I still use lighter knot an kindlin. Torch, hmmmm. Sounds interesting.
Old 06-22-2021, 08:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post
Propane torch????????? Guess I need to get into the 21st century. I still use lighter knot an kindlin. Torch, hmmmm. Sounds interesting.
Nowadays I see a lot of lighter fluid containers sitting around fire pits of people new to camping. Propane torch plus lighter fluid could be fun.
Old 06-22-2021, 09:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaan View Post
Nowadays I see a lot of lighter fluid containers sitting around fire pits of people new to camping. Propane torch plus lighter fluid could be fun.
I do too. I also see people start campfires with Coleman Fuel (white gas).

A few years ago I witnessed a boy pour Coleman Fuel on a smoldering campfire. The flame went from the fire pit to the fuel can and the boy threw it. I ran over and smothered the fire with beach towel I had hanging on my awning. Luckily, no injuries to anyone.

This is the touch I use. I got it for Christmas a few years back. Its safe and efficient.

https://www.bernzomatic.com/Products...On-Off/TS4000T
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 09:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaan View Post

We're not new to camping but my son likes campfires that can be seen by astronauts. That's us with the lighter fluid.

I'll pony up to owning a butane torch in the back too. We winter camp, and sometimes I'm into getting that fire built >>fast<<. I have no desire to rub two sticks together just to be authentic or quaint.
Old 06-22-2021, 09:30 PM   #10

Cordless leaf blowers work GREAT to get one going REALLY FAST!
I have one but dont use it for that, I use it to blow the debris off the top of the trailer and slide toppers before rolling them in and taking off.
I've found most people, especially the "new COVID campers" out there really dont give a flying leap about their equipment. Power cords still attached when they pull away, awnings getting destroyed by one way or another, cutting corners short and curbing tires and wheels or raking a sign or something else right down the length of the trailer,...
They dont care because the banks are going to repo them in a few years. It's the new "American Way".