Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-19-2018, 12:04 PM   #1

Hello from new Redhawk owner

My wife and I just purchased a 2018 Jayco Redhawk 26XD Front Living 2SLD. We are currently in New Mexico where we purchased the Redhawk and are preparing to De-winterize and sanitize the Redhawk for the trip back to our home in Tennessee.

I read the manual but I have a question regarding the bypass valve. Since the Redhawk comes equipped with a Utility Center which includes a setting for "Sanitize/Winterize Lines", is this unit equipped with water heater bypass valves? The manual says I should "move the water heater bypass valves (if equipped) to the Normal position..."

I'm looking forward to our first trip in the Redhawk and I want to make sure I properly De-winterize and prepare the unit for travel.

Best,

Beau Worsham
wworsham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 03:35 PM   #2

Congratulations and welcome!

Not sure about your utility center, but ours the winterize setting bypasses the water heater.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:56 PM   #3

Robkelly,

Thank you for your reply. I found the three (2) valves located under the refrigerator behind a vented cover. My Redhawk 26XD is currently winterized and I need to figure out if I need to open all three valves when I drain the antifreeze from the system, or just drain it as it is.

Beau
Old 03-19-2018, 07:23 PM   #4
Site Team

CONGRATULATIONS on the JAYCO!!!

...and WELCOME TO JOF!!! The members here are GREAT!!! There is a lot of GREAT information to be found here. I am sure that you will have information and pictures to share with us... so please do!!

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:50 PM   #5

Congrats on your 2018 Jayco Redhawk 26XD and welcome to the JOF.
jkaras7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 01:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wworsham View Post

Thank you for your reply. I found the three (2) valves located under the refrigerator behind a vented cover. My Redhawk 26XD is currently winterized and I need to figure out if I need to open all three valves when I drain the antifreeze from the system, or just drain it as it is.

Beau
I'm not familiar with your Utility Center and I'm not sure if you have a water heater or an on demand hot water system. The procedure for an on demand hot water system might be slightly different. I have a water heater in my travel trailer and I drain and flush the fresh water thoroughly before turning the hot water heater bypass off (turning it off allows water to flow into the hot water tank). This way I don't get the pink stuff (antifreeze) into my hot water heater. It doesn't hurt it but I like to avoid that if I can.. Some instructions say to flush out the antifreeze and then sanitize the fresh water system before turning the bypass off. I turn the bypass off after thoroughly flushing out the antifreeze and before I sanitize the whole fresh water system. Then I sanitize the whole fresh water system. This sanitizes the fresh water system including the water heater.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwhit View Post
I'm not familiar with your Utility Center and I'm not sure if you have a water heater or an on demand hot water system. The procedure for an on demand hot water system might be slightly different. I have a water heater in my travel trailer and I drain and flush the fresh water thoroughly before turning the hot water heater bypass off (turning it off allows water to flow into the hot water tank). This way I don't get the pink stuff (antifreeze) into my hot water heater. It doesn't hurt it but I like to avoid that if I can.. Some instructions say to flush out the antifreeze and then sanitize the fresh water system before turning the bypass off. I turn the bypass off after thoroughly flushing out the antifreeze and before I sanitize the whole fresh water system. Then I sanitize the whole fresh water system. This sanitizes the fresh water system including the water heater.

Thank you for your reply. I have a water heater which is currently in bypass mode. The Utility center is located on the outside behind one of the access panels. It allows me to turn knobs to fill the fresh water tank, country fill, sanitize/winterize and sanitize tank. It is really a nice feature.

I plan to drain and flush the system before turning off the bypass to the hot water heather. After that I will sanitize the system including the hot water heater, flush well and should be good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-22-2018, 06:20 PM   #8

Welcome to the zoo from MO
Someone will have all the answers you need
Meadowlark paint
Iraq 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 08:05 PM   #9

Marc,

Yea, I can see that there is a wealth of information on this site. Thank you for your service!