Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-28-2016, 10:34 AM   #1

Howdy from Texas

Have been viewing the forum for a month, but just registered today. I appreciate all the insight.
We are first time trailer owners. Picked up our new Jay Flight SLX 264BHW a few weeks ago. Had the dealer hook it up, and we drove to the camp site from there. Went to another spot this past weekend. So, we are learning as we go.
Some early lessons learned: (1) Make certain that the dump hose is on correctly before using it (luckily it was grey water), (2) the sway bar pins must face in (luckily it was a shorter trip on smooth roads, because there was effectively no sway bar when they popped off), (3) when at a rest stop for lunch on a windy day, just eat in the camper rather than holding two dogs, paper plates, and all food items from being blown away at a cement picnic table, (4) finding RV friendly gas stations is as important as finding the camping spot, (5) mistakenly buying hickory wood designed for smoking meat as campfire wood can be expensive but rewarding, (6) bacon burns very quickly over a fire, (7) don't miss a chance to ask an elder camper for advice (but prepare a code word for your spouse to excuse you from the conversation after your listening ability has been exhausted), (8) don't try to rearrange my wife's cabinet organization, (9) be patient about everything and check everything at least twice, (11) the heater is not broken - the on lever is just tight, and (11) whether you choose to camp facing the woods or facing the lake, you have made the right choice.
Still working on: (1) Reducing sway, especially when semis pass or the wind is heavy, (2) Storing fishing poles (there must be an easier way than the tangled mess that I create), and (3) placing the dog crate and kids' shoes in places within the camper that do not create a physical and certain hazards when walking through the trailer.
TXCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:46 AM   #2

Welcome to JOF. There is a lot a great advice on here.
You have some good lessons, I can definitely agree with number 8, I have made that mistake myself, ... more than once.... I guess I am a slow learner. Keep in mind when reducing sway; that is all you can really do; reduce it, you may get to a point where there is virtually no sway 99% of the time, but situations will arise and it will be there. watch your overall speed and be careful.
We have two dogs, one small one who insists on sleeping on the bed at DW's feet. The other is a larger Husky who is crate trained. I strap her crate in the bed of the truck and put her in there at night. It works on two levels, she is comfortable and alerts to things in and around the campsite.
When if comes to fishing poles, consider mounting a couple of 4-6 inch PVC pipes (cut to length) to the roof in your storage bay and carry the poles in there.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:58 AM   #3

Ahhh.... the joys of the 'first time.' You'll get there.

Regarding sway: That can be dangerous if your rig gets out of control. Be sure to inflate your trailer and tow vehicle tires to the maximum shown on the tire sidewalls. That stiffens the sidewalls and often helps a great deal.

In addition, your trailer should be level or slightly nose down.

Read your trailer hitch manual and be sure it is installed correctly. If your dealer installed it, double check their work. Reading on this forum you'll find they often get installations wrong.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:59 AM   #4

Welcome, thanks for sharing your lessons learned, all good, some familiar.
Onefastdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:25 AM   #5

NVGun40, using the pipes for the poles is a great idea. I will do that. We have two small furballs as dogs. I have been resisting letting them sleep on the beds, but I will likely need to either give up that fight or live with the crate obstacle at night. I appreciate the insight.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:41 AM   #6

oldmanAZ, the main issue is that I do not know if the sway is usual or not. Add to the fact that i typically drive a small sedan, which rides tight as compared to a bouncy SUV. So, it may be just a matter of me realizing a new norm.
It tries to pull to the left a bit just before a semi passes and wiggles a bit in 20+ mph cross wind gusts. So, I keep both hands on the steering wheel and tend to stress my shoulders a bit much after a wiggle until I remind myself to relax.
We have enough power, because we purchased a 2015 Expedition with HD towing package, and we added a stronger sway bar (more than necessary, per the dealer). So, we should be fine. However, that is good thought about checking the installation. I can be too trusting of "experts". For peace of mind, I will research it and go to another dealer for an inspection/second opinion. I appreciate the advice.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:23 PM   #7

Welcome to JOF TXCrew and thanks for the trip down memory lane . You'll soon discover memory lane is long long long . . . O for some of us, it never ends
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:33 PM   #8

Howdy
Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:12 PM   #9

Another howdy from another Texan. Welcome to JOF. Looks like you are learning fast. NVGun40 has a great idea about the fishing poles. I used a 6" square tube that Home Depot sells for decorative fence posts. I also bought two endcaps and have solved the problem of the poles, but either one, square or round will work great. Happy camping....
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:15 PM   #10

Howdy and welcome to the forum!
Blue Ox Sway Pro
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
TxTwoSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:27 PM   #11
Site Team

CONGRATULATIONS on the JAYCO!!!

...and WELCOME TO JOF!!! The members here are GREAT!!! There is a lot of GREAT information to be found here. I am sure that you will have information and pictures to share with us... so please do!!

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:44 PM   #12

Congrats and welcome from Colorado

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 03:30 PM   #13

Hey from Van Alstyne.
5thGenTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 04:39 PM   #14

Congratulations and welcome!
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 04:43 PM   #15

Welcome from Frisco.
Old 03-28-2016, 04:51 PM   #16

Make sure you check your trailer's lug nuts often as well. They tend to loosen up as you roll down the highway. Check them often between the first 150 to 500 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCrew View Post
Have been viewing the forum for a month, but just registered today. I appreciate all the insight.
We are first time trailer owners. Picked up our new Jay Flight SLX 264BHW a few weeks ago. Had the dealer hook it up, and we drove to the camp site from there. Went to another spot this past weekend. So, we are learning as we go.
Some early lessons learned: (1) Make certain that the dump hose is on correctly before using it (luckily it was grey water), (2) the sway bar pins must face in (luckily it was a shorter trip on smooth roads, because there was effectively no sway bar when they popped off), (3) when at a rest stop for lunch on a windy day, just eat in the camper rather than holding two dogs, paper plates, and all food items from being blown away at a cement picnic table, (4) finding RV friendly gas stations is as important as finding the camping spot, (5) mistakenly buying hickory wood designed for smoking meat as campfire wood can be expensive but rewarding, (6) bacon burns very quickly over a fire, (7) don't miss a chance to ask an elder camper for advice (but prepare a code word for your spouse to excuse you from the conversation after your listening ability has been exhausted), (8) don't try to rearrange my wife's cabinet organization, (9) be patient about everything and check everything at least twice, (11) the heater is not broken - the on lever is just tight, and (11) whether you choose to camp facing the woods or facing the lake, you have made the right choice.
Still working on: (1) Reducing sway, especially when semis pass or the wind is heavy, (2) Storing fishing poles (there must be an easier way than the tangled mess that I create), and (3) placing the dog crate and kids' shoes in places within the camper that do not create a physical and certain hazards when walking through the trailer.
Queen Creek, Arizona
tularockstar is offline   Reply With Quote

« Newbie | First time »