Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-11-2017, 07:50 AM   #1

Howdy! newbie info reequested

Glad to have my new camper. We have been looking for a year now. I am new to owning a camper and don’t know many of the best practices and methods. I keep the owner’s manual nearby but I could use some tips and tricks. So please if you know of any threads or post with simple how-to info send me the link. I’m talking basic stuff like proper way to hook-up and unload black and grey tanks, leveling tips, plumbing use and tips, etc. Fortunately, I have a lot of experience towing trailers so I feel comfortable in that area. The owner’s manual is good but it isn’t quite detailed enough for somebody that knows very little. Luckily I know the previous owner who is willing to help. Thanks and I look forward to learning from the community! Camper: Jayflight 264BHW
kirkdl9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:03 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the camper. It’s hard to go through everything you may encounter. I’ll say that there is soo much good info here that as you read through most things are answered.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:20 AM   #3

Congratulations on your Jay Flight and welcome to the forum.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:04 AM   #4

Congratulations and Welcome from NorCal. I’ve also learned from reading on the forum pages and it’s been helpful. YouTube is an option for visual aids too.
NCMFFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:13 AM   #5

Congratulations on the new camper. I do not recall any one good thread for best tips and practices. For most people backing up is the hard part, and has the longest learning curve.

Here is a few tips I have;

Level the TT side to side, first. You can use the plastic Lego blocks, wood boards or even the fancy Anderson Levelers. Ultimately they all work about the same. If your TT has tandem wheels, if you put a board under each wheel you will lift that side of the TT by the amount of the board. If you only place one board under one wheel you will lift the TT on that side by half the board thickness.

Jack and lug wrench, campers do not come with them.

Try everything at home a few times. Especially the furnace and oven. the first time they are lite they stink up the place for 30-60 minutes, while burning off the machine oils. It is best to do this at home.

Sewer tanks; always dump the black tank first, then the grey tank. Always have lots of water in the black tank. After dumping, add about 10 percent clean water back into the tank. When flushing add lots of water. for the black tank, water is your friend. add lots of water to fill up the tank before dumping. It helps the poop to flow down the drain when dumping.

Gray tank, I do not try to get all the water out of the tank when dumping.

Learn where your low point drains are at.

If your pump pulses on/off when not using water it is a sign of a possible water leak. For me my primary issue has been the outside shower valves get slightly turned when I put it back away. But I did have loose fittings when the TT was new, so it is worth double checking everything periodically.

Good luck, and happy camping! Feel free to ask specific questions!

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:16 PM   #6

Congratulations on the new Jayflight and welcome to the forum. We too have learned a lot from members of the forum.
jkaras7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:31 PM   #7
Site Team

You can hear about all the GREAT and BEST things that make RVing better for you, BUT here is a thread that most of us never want to admit to. So, if you sit down and read through this thread (click on the link below) and remember all of them (there are 499 posts as we speak), odds are you still will have one to add to the list of them.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ment-1576.html

Yes... I can admit to a few of them. Is CamperBob on it?

WHO WILL BE POST # 500????

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:43 AM   #8

Congratulations and welcome!

Best advice I have is what's already been given - read this forum. That's what I did when we started and it's been well worth it. Al kinds of good information on here, and before you know it you'll be a seasoned pro and offering advice to other newbies
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:24 AM   #9

Welcome to the forum!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:41 AM   #10

Welcome to the forum from King George, Virginia

I learned most of my ends and outs sitting in the back yard up next to my small woods. I am really a RV CAMPER verses a RV TRAVELER which you are probably going to be doing with that nice looking RV Trailer...

Being an avid TENT CAMPER from back in the 50s-60s my goal is to wake up each to nice bon-fire drinking my fresh ground and brewed bean coffee watching the fish jump in the near-by creek.

My love is finding a good spot back off the trail somewhere maybe just a couple hundred miles away from here in Northern Neck Virginia. Most of my trips are up to the Virginia - West Virginia wooded Naltional Forest State Line and other high county places up on the Virginia SKYLINE Drive or maybe down the state along the Blue Ridge Parkway...

My OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer will go anywhere my 4WD truck will pull it...

Its all about actual camping with us - not so much on the RV TRAVELING...

This is us setup in the Wichita Mtns Wildlife Refuge at Medicine Park OKLA enjoying CAMP DORIS on the banks of a pretty large lake inside the refuge.

Roy's image

Or sitting up in a National Park inside Skyline Drive here in Virginia

Roy's image

We learned alot sitting up in the back yard here at the house with LOWES and WALMART close by on what to stock up on and how to use all of the fancy appliances and items...

We really just want to camp off our beefed up battery banks back OFF-ROAD somewhere. Many times we bring along our tent camping items and do both at the same time...

Roy's image

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:06 AM   #11

thanks to all the welcoming and helping info and tips!