Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-19-2020, 08:49 AM   #1

Smile Newbie to Jayco & forums

Hello! Trying to figure this all out. We bought a new 2021 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 284BHS. We have a 15 yr. old son with Autism and intellectual disability, who loves to be outdoors. He is pretty tall already, 6’3” so we needed a longer bed for him and a bigger bathroom/shower that my husband would have room to help him. I was wondering, can we buy accessories for this new camper? Specifically looking for a sink cover for the double sink(to expand counter space) and an adequate ladder for the bunkbed. I have a terrible time getting up there to make up the bed. Tried a step ladder, but gets in the way of bathroom door opening. Thank you in advance for all of your help and advice.
MimiMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:52 AM   #2

sink cover should have come with it
You also should have a ladder that hooks to the top bunk for you to climb up..

Did you have a walk through with your dealer? if not you should.. check all the cubbies and see if those items aren't still packed away...

if you can't find them call up your dealer and ask them and/or look in the owners manual it should tell you what it should have
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
sink cover should have come with it
You also should have a ladder that hooks to the top bunk for you to climb up..

Did you have a walk through with your dealer? if not you should.. check all the cubbies and see if those items aren't still packed away...

if you can't find them call up your dealer and ask them and/or look in the owners manual it should tell you what it should have
Welcome from northeast Illinois.

I do not believe that the SLX line comes with a bunk ladder or a sink cover, like the regular Jay Flights do. The SLX is the lowest trim package of Jayco's travel trailer line. The good news is that you can find most of these items on Amazon.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 09:02 AM   #4

Thank you. I have looked on Amazon, just hoped could buy exact fit from Jayco. My husband has early onset of Alzheimer’s. I’m on my own to find and adjust anything I buy.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:12 AM   #5

I've read on the forum that many use this bunk ladder. My kids are 9 so we don't use one. They like crawling up without one, but I totally get why you would want one.

As far as a kitchen sink cover, we bought a cutting board at Walmart that fit on the little lip on the counter just perfectly. It covers just over half of the double sink, but you could probably buy two and cut them down.

We also bought this drain board, that fits in the same sink lip for letting dishes dry.

I hope this helps!

Old 10-19-2020, 09:12 AM   #6

Hope to add 2suggestions for you.
We don’t use sheets but sleeping bags and it’s a hole lot easier than making a bed and it’s only (camping) not a house tour. The larger bag would probably be the correct size for your son and it’s called ( The Big Agnes ) buy a good one and it’s like a comforter.
Don’t know your counter top layout but at the end of ours I installed (as others have) this easy to do flip-up
Just to the left of the sink.
Attached Thumbnails
B0CF3FCB-0DEB-4FFA-A5A1-241024674845.jpg  
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 09:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
We don’t use sheets but sleeping bags and it’s a hole lot easier than making a bed and it’s only (camping) not a house tour.
Good point. Our kids us sleeping bags in their bunks too. We did get a mattress protector for each in case of leaks. DW and I use sheets and a comforter on our bed.

Old 10-19-2020, 09:32 AM   #8

Welcome!

6'3" is out of our realm of experience (5'6") so can't help you there . He would probably be o.k. in a short queen bed (75" length) but most of the fold out and jack knife sofa beds are probably going to be too short.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:23 AM   #9

Welcome to the site from SW Michigan!

2018 Jayco White Hawk 31BH 34'
2004 Surveyor by Forest River 29'
1996 Coachman Catalina 25'
2002 Jayco 12UTD PopUp
TrashMan Videos
sturgissteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 03:49 PM   #10

Thank you!

Quote:
Hope to add 2suggestions for you.
We don’t use sheets but sleeping bags and it’s a hole lot easier than making a bed and it’s only (camping) not a house tour. The larger bag would probably be the correct size for your son and it’s called ( The Big Agnes ) buy a good one and it’s like a comforter.
Don’t know your counter top layout but at the end of ours I installed (as others have) this easy to do flip-up
Just to the left of the sink.
The sleeping bag suggestion might work if I leave mattress protection on bed in case of a seizure. And if I use 2 separate bags, stacked, unzipped. He uses a weighted blanket to calm, so maybe could experiment at home before we travel. See if he can not handle the changes. It’s not a matter of looks, but any changes to the “norm” are not easy.
As far as the counter pop up we did have one in our Outback. I will continue to explore options. Would be nice to get the little things situated before a trip, so THEY are the norm of the already new trailer adjustments.
Old 10-19-2020, 03:51 PM   #11

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
I've read on the forum that many use this bunk ladder. My kids are 9 so we don't use one. They like crawling up without one, but I totally get why you would want one.

As far as a kitchen sink cover, we bought a cutting board at Walmart that fit on the little lip on the counter just perfectly. It covers just over half of the double sink, but you could probably buy two and cut them down.

We also bought this drain board, that fits in the same sink lip for letting dishes dry.

I hope this helps!
I will check these out. Good suggestions. Thank you again.
Old 10-19-2020, 03:52 PM   #12

Thank you!
Old 10-19-2020, 04:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiMac View Post
I will check these out. Good suggestions. Thank you again.
+1 on the Stromberg bunk ladder. We used one on our Outback. Way better than the wood variants.

Quote:
And, wow on Tunce's counter extension. That is some nice woodwork to match the curve!
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote