Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-24-2022, 11:51 AM   #1
RPR

Y’all be careful out there

Government is going to allow 18 year olds to drive 18 wheelers form state to state.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 12:02 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPR View Post
Government is going to allow 18 year olds to drive 18 wheelers form state to state.
As long as they are accompanied by an experienced driver.

The federal government is testing out the pilot program for the next three years. 3,000 truckers between the ages 18 to 20 that have a safe driving record, can cross state lines as long as an experienced driver is in the passenger seat.
Old 01-24-2022, 12:11 PM   #3
RPR

Looks like it will be a while. I believe the automatic breaking systems that are part of the requirement will be required on new trucks. With the driver shortage their are a lot of used rigs parked. Can not see carriers buy anything new right now.
Old 01-24-2022, 02:00 PM   #4

Well, as long as the government allows 18 year olds to die to protect the country I think we can extend them the courtesy of a training program that allow them to make a good living. At 18, I had enough driving experience that any trucking company would have hired me if I chose that profession. Training is the key, and this program requires training.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 03:15 PM   #5

X2

My dad was a trucker, learned the trade in Korea.
Old 01-24-2022, 03:43 PM   #6

Just a couple of observations. In 1972 during a slow down in the electronics industry I decided to go to truck driving school. I was 28 years old at the time. Before we even got to get into a truck there was the book work of rules and regulations, and then comprehensive testing. That alone eliminated a few people, as well as did the drug testing.

Then the driving started, two students and an instructor for 6 weeks of driving. City driving, freeway driving and up and down some pretty good grades, the old I-5 Grapevine being the most challenging.

I was lucky enough to land a tanker job and was home every night, with the exception of a few layovers. I never got a citation in 31 years of driving, but was involved in 2 minor accidents that weren't my fault. I retired in 2003.

Most over the road driving is not something most would be willing to do. Away from home for weeks at a time, driving in all kinds of weather night and day, and eating food that is never as good as home cookin'. Today in order to get a HazMat endorsement a FBI background check is required, and that alone will disqualify a lot of people. Most trucking companies today all require a HaxMat endorsement.

The company I worked for had some pretty strict rules as well. Two citations or two at fault accidents in one year meant termination, and that included driving my own vehicle.

My personal opinion is that if the standards for drivers are reduced or eliminated it will result in a lot more accidents, property damage and deaths. Today while driving, either with or without my RV I stay away from trucks! I pass them quickly or if being passed I'll slow down until they are well clear. One thing I always tell people is that if you are following a truck and it makes an abrupt lane change, do the same thing without hesitation.

I made a good living, did have some really fun moments and saw a lot of the country, but I doubt I would do it all over again in today's environment. Just too many hateful, inconsiderate people on the road that have the attitude that they own the road. Yes, be careful on the road!

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 03:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post
Today while driving, either with or without my RV I stay away from trucks! I pass them quickly or if being passed I'll slow down until they are well clear. One thing I always tell people is that if you are following a truck and it makes an abrupt lane change, do the same thing without hesitation.
Definitely.

We started RVing in 1972 and for many years I much preferred most truck drivers over those in a car or pick-up. They were willing to share the road and had common sense. Unfortunately that is no longer the case as many of the truck drivers have turned into "IDIOTS".
Old 01-24-2022, 06:12 PM   #8

Y’all be careful out there

I see some sketchy stuff from many of the truck drivers these days. Not all, but many.

As for lowering the requirements, it’s just a matter of what the market dictates. I work in aviation. Lots of pilots and few jobs, the requirements go up. If it goes the other way, requirements go down(currently the case). Up or down, planes don’t seem to fall out of the sky. Training is key as stated above. You can lower requirements to get in the door, but I’m sure most will require they train to meet a certain standard. I don’t know the trucking industry so I really have no idea how robust the training is these days.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 06:33 PM   #9
RPR

The companies that have CDL training teach them how to past the state written, walk around and driving test. I personally know one of the state testers. He said it is a nightmare. One example: He goes on site to the company that gives the training to give the road test. They have a road course they “train” on but it’s all left hand turns. He makes them take a right hand turn and some can not. There are some great drivers out there. Loading dock at the company branch I ran had a narrow turn to back in. Some drivers would do it first time some 45 minutes. One driver said the only loading dock he had back up to was a big distribution center.
Old 01-24-2022, 08:21 PM   #10

My high school most school buses were driven by students. I dont recall any problems.

I drove semi as an owner operator as part of my career past. Trucking is like any other field of employment; there are people behind that wheel that shouldnt be. Chance taking; speed, keep the speed no matter the road conditions, tail gate, erratic lane change, pass on hills... The type of people that drive cars like idiots are also driving semis. Age doesnt matter.

I think the 18+ year olds will do just fine, just need to weed out the chance takers.
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 10:47 AM   #11

I'll bet the major companies (the ones you stay far, far away from when you see one of their trucks on the road) are licking their chops. They'll have a bigger candidate pool, and I'll bet they offer a lower starting wage.

I can see both sides of it. The government can't win here either way. Either they're stifling the labor market or creating an unsafe situation.

I don't believe there is an actual shortage of drivers. There is a shortage of good wages. The good trucking jobs, the ones that actually pay a wage to live on and support a family -- are taken. Logistics companies are finding out that fewer and fewer people want to be an indentured slave behind the wheel of a semi truck. Meanwhile Smile, Inc is paying better to drive a Ford van while delivering packages, home every night, always local, and it doesn't require a CDL. So these trucking companies call it a labor shortage, one they created for themselves. Now they want younger candidates to ease their "shortage".
22Seneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 11:50 AM   #12

If they are allowed to hire 18 year olds to drive it might help some, but I doubt most would last a year on the road. Drivers today are basically company robots and they are always being watched and tracked, via satellite navigation and cell phones. The dispatchers can see their truck and driver locations in real time, the speeds being traveled, how long the truck sits idle for meal and rest stops, etc. Add that to lousy working conditions and time being away from home and most people would not want any part of it, no matter what the pay.

Then there is the background and drug checks just to get a job. That alone will eliminate a large percentage of applicants....as it should.

Included 2 photos...my first tanker job in 1972, and my last part time job in 2003 after I retired from 32 years as a tanker driver.
Attached Thumbnails
Textile Rubber-First Truck 2.jpg   My Truck.jpg  

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 12:24 PM   #13

Call me old fashioned, but I'm more worried about self-driving trucks. It's only a matter of time before drivers are not going to be required.

That scares the beejeebees out of me.

Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions.

KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 06:16 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCSA75 View Post
Call me old fashioned, but I'm more worried about self-driving trucks. It's only a matter of time before drivers are not going to be required.

That scares the beejeebees out of me.
Especially when they start drinking, having lunch, putting on makeup, talking on their phone, updating Facebook, sending a text, arguing with the little robots in the backseat. . .
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 08:28 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Definitely.

We started RVing in 1972 and for many years I much preferred most truck drivers over those in a car or pick-up. They were willing to share the road and had common sense. Unfortunately that is no longer the case as many of the truck drivers have turned into "IDIOTS".

I agree. Years ago truck drivers seemed more professional. Now it seems many are all over their lane and won't hesitate to pull in front of you. Too distracted to pay attention and drive possibly. BUT, I also see more of the same with passenger vehicles also. Not always, but courtesy seems out the window more and more, its all about me me me.
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 12:05 PM   #16

1967, I went to work for National Van Lines to build up my college fund. Two weeks in, the head of my local strongly suggested I get my chauffeur's license since just having it paid a premium and it also made me available to be part of a long distance team as needed. That was the best pay and yes I had to drive at 18. Did that for 5 summers. When the Fed outlawed the chauffeur license and moved to the set up we have now, I got my A. Used it off and on over the years when company drivers didn't show and especially when I was personally moving product from my Ohio factory into New York.

The instructors I've known over the years don't just make left hand turns around here. The Highway Patrol governs all testing and if you went for a test today, you would have 45 minutes on a road course with the HP siting next to you observing how well you pay attention to signage, wheel placement on turns etc. In other words can he observe you paying attention to everything for a 360 of the cab. You'd then have to do four exercises to prove you know how to handle rig....100ft backing in a single lane without any part of the rig going over the lines, an alley dock, a blind alley dock, and the mother of all....the parallel parking of a 53ft dry van. None of those are permitted unlimited attempts...three at the most, depending on who's evaluating you. Now, are there idiots that can do all that, sure. And they get a license for it. But in my experience, not many regardless their age.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote