Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-17-2019, 09:41 PM   #1

Fresh water tank

Hey fellow toy haulers I recently purchased a SL 161 Toy Hauler and it has a tool box mounted on the front with two 6 volt batteries about 130 lbs added weight and other odds and ins that's pushing my tongue weight to about 200 lbs over max tongue weight does anyone know if adding fresh water to the tank prior to towing will cause weight to shift further to the rear and reduce tongue weight, the weight of my loaded trailer is 6000lbs so tongue max weight 900lbs
Flguy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:11 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new toy hauler.

Where did you find a number for the 'max tongue weight'?

If your fresh water tank is in front of your trailer axles, adding water will increase your tongue weight; if it is behind your trailer axles, adding water will reduce your tongue weight.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 06:10 AM   #3

That's the problem I have, the bottom of my trailer is sealed so I thought someone might no it's location but I guess I'm gonna have to unseal it to see tanks location as far as max tongue weight I was using 15% of trailer weight
Old 03-18-2019, 06:22 AM   #4

In the side you should have a low point drain, that is a pretty good idea of where your tank is located. There should be a sticker similar to the black and gray dump valves. Easier than ripping the bottom off the trailer.
Just4toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:04 PM   #5

My talon has 2 fresh tanks =136 g total. Basically at the axles. Tank over flows at front axle. My last toyhauler was better axles as well. It was a bumper pull
Brooksb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:17 PM   #6

welcome to the forum. I also have a 161. my 50 gallon fresh water drains are just a few inches forward of the axles. No disrespect, but you might be overthinking it, these trailers are very robust.
parallax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:33 PM   #7

Thanks to all that responded I really appreciate all the help and feedback I am probably over thinking this but it sure feels like the truck is a little light on the steering when loaded I haven’t towed a travel trailer before it could also be wind resistance
Old 03-19-2019, 10:06 PM   #8

Are you using weight distibution hitch?. if not might want to pick one up somewhere,, they are cheap on craigslist, and make a world of difference. I have accidently set mine up so tight i lose traction on my rear truck axle. check out some other posts about your 161,, I have found some cool upgrades and tricks from other members on here.. I really like this site, i learn something new everytime i visit.
parallax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:50 PM   #9

First of all your black water tank has to be below the toilet and from the looks of your floor plan I would say the grey water tank is in front or next to the black water tank.

The big thing is the all the tanks are very thin meaning the max distance is from the bottom of the floor to less than the bottom of the frame. Then it can not be wider the distance between the frame rails.
I have a Sherling scale which I use on my 36' pull trailer toy hauler. The instructions say tongue weight should be between 10% -15%. Take the tongue weight and divided it by the gross trailer weight time 100.
The placement of you toy is the most important thing to get right. If you have a scale you can adjust the toy or the amount of water you carry.
Do not go by the posted weight of your toy. Factory toy weights are dry weights and no things like a spare, bumpers tools etc.
Even moving your toy forward or back a foot, makes a big weight change.

One more thing is to be sure your trailer is level when towing. Due to the flat tanks, if the front of the trailer is to high the water weight will be towards the rear.
putz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:47 AM   #10

I have the 161 as well, and in addition to the 2 batts, I have 3x 5 gal jerry cans. I use an Anderson weight distribution hitch (chain system). Also, I have the fuel station and I believe that 20 gallon tank is to the rear of the axles, though I'm not sure that will make much difference as the wheels on this trailer are pretty far back, so it wouldn't leverage much.

Curious, what are you using to pull it?
ChaosTheory is offline   Reply With Quote