Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-10-2018, 08:37 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampscamper View Post
Jayco was kind enough to send me a diagram showing the measurements of a 273. It looks like my side by side roll cage would likely hit the overhead cabinets on the curb side. If not they would be too close for comfort. It looks like I will have to look at other options. I need to stay under 33' because of the length of my driveway. I would like an island bed also (a must for the better half).
edit: I just looked at Jayco's website and it seems to contradict the attached drawing. It shows 94" from the rear door to the curb side cabinet. The drawing shows 78.25". I guess I need to go to a dealer with my tape measure.
Measuring at the dealer is probably the best bet. However, something to remember, that curb side cabinet is an overhead cabinet. Your SxS may have plenty of room for the roll cage; (at least with the way I am thinking) since it will be the nose and front wheel under that cabinet.
This is big move, perhaps the dealer will let you bring the SxS in and "test it" for fit? Perhaps you could convince the dealer to do so by allowing them to take pictures to show future potential customers that it will fit.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:55 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVGun40 View Post
Measuring at the dealer is probably the best bet. However, something to remember, that curb side cabinet is an overhead cabinet. Your SxS may have plenty of room for the roll cage; (at least with the way I am thinking) since it will be the nose and front wheel under that cabinet.
This is big move, perhaps the dealer will let you bring the SxS in and "test it" for fit? Perhaps you could convince the dealer to do so by allowing them to take pictures to show future potential customers that it will fit.
Yes I know they’re overhead cabinets. The front end of my side by side will go under them to a point. If the distance to the cabinet is under 7’ from the back wall it may be a problem because the front of the roll cage is just under 7’ from my rear bumper and my roof is 75” high at the rear tapering to 67.5” at the front. If the cabinet is mounted high enough I may OK. As you suggested my dealer offered to let me try it before I commit but he doesn’t have one in stock at this time.
I looked at two other manufacturers that dealers had in stock, the new Grand Design Momentum 21G travel trailer and Forest River Hyperlite 26HFS. Neither of these models would work. I’m not in a rush so I plan to visit a couple of upcoming RV shows with my tape measure in hand.
Thanks for your reply.
grampscamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 08:56 PM   #23

Beware, I put a 1,500 lb side by side in my garage and it added 3,000 lbs to my axel weight. “Overhung” weight is deceiving. Trailer/garage capacity is deceiving, weigh both ways before you travel very far.
stevenarchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 04:50 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenarchie View Post
Beware, I put a 1,500 lb side by side in my garage and it added 3,000 lbs to my axel weight. “Overhung” weight is deceiving. Trailer/garage capacity is deceiving, weigh both ways before you travel very far.
Thanks for the information. I didn’t know it would add that much additional weight to the axles.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:32 PM   #25

???????

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenarchie View Post
stevenarchie - can you explain this one? Not doubting you, just not following how adding 1,500 lbs can add double that amount to your axles. I know you can add to or subtract tongue weight via positioning the UTV directly over, forward or rear of the TH axles, but that give or take is reflected proportionally in the axle weight. Either way that 1,500 lbs is distributed, tongue weight or TH axle weight, it should not be adding more than 1,500 lbs to the TH. Am I missing something? I've weighed my loaded rig 3 separate times on the CAT Scales with the UTV in the 3 positions I mentioned above and have never experienced this issue.

Also - I know I owe you some pics, grampscamper - forgot to document my process last weekend. I'm doing it all over again this weekend so I'll make sure to get some pics for you this time.
2000 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4, 7.3 PSTD, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (1503)
topshelfredlabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 04:48 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelfredlabel View Post
stevenarchie - can you explain this one? Not doubting you, just not following how adding 1,500 lbs can add double that amount to your axles. I know you can add to or subtract tongue weight via positioning the UTV directly over, forward or rear of the TH axles, but that give or take is reflected proportionally in the axle weight. Either way that 1,500 lbs is distributed, tongue weight or TH axle weight, it should not be adding more than 1,500 lbs to the TH. Am I missing something? I've weighed my loaded rig 3 separate times on the CAT Scales with the UTV in the 3 positions I mentioned above and have never experienced this issue.

Also - I know I owe you some pics, grampscamper - forgot to document my process last weekend. I'm doing it all over again this weekend so I'll make sure to get some pics for you this time.
Thanks so much. Look forward to seeing your pictures.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:26 PM   #27

I have a 272 and fit my 4 seat can-am commander fine. It’s 66” wide, 114” long and 80”+ tall. Contact jayco and they will send you detailed floor plans that have every measurement you can imagine. When I bought mine I was worried about the kitchen space between the counters and the top storage compartment in the passenger side. No problems though. I also uploaded some detailed floor plans for the 272 somewhere on this site. Just get the layout for the 273 from them. I love my 272. Good luck.
upinthemountains2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 05:32 PM   #28

Oh. Just realized I’m very late to the party lol. Well good luck anyways!
Old 10-17-2018, 05:55 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by upinthemountains2009 View Post
Oh. Just realized I’m very late to the party lol. Well good luck anyways!
Thanks. I did read one of your earlier posts. The 272 would definitely work. I think I’ve narrowed my choices to three or four. Hopefully they’ll be at the next R.V. show.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:34 AM   #30

Sorry to necro this thread. But I'm looking at purchasing a 272 but im concerned about loading the SXS.

Im looking at the Rzr's line specifically the 1000 High Lifter. It shows a Height of 75". My wife went and looked at a 272 today and the vertical height is 67" with the 2 beds all the way up.

Are you guys putting the seats against the wall instead of up? I did see in this thread someone was getting a 4 seater in with the seats up, but the normal 4 seaters are 71" tall...
Doonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:54 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doonz View Post
Sorry to necro this thread. But I'm looking at purchasing a 272 but im concerned about loading the SXS.

Im looking at the Rzr's line specifically the 1000 High Lifter. It shows a Height of 75". My wife went and looked at a 272 today and the vertical height is 67" with the 2 beds all the way up.

Are you guys putting the seats against the wall instead of up? I did see in this thread someone was getting a 4 seater in with the seats up, but the normal 4 seaters are 71" tall...
Hey man. Welcome. So here is what I do. I have a can-am commander 4 seater, its roughly 76" tall x 66" wide at the back tires. I pull it right in with the couches down and against the wall. I wish I had a picture right now, but my sxs fits just fine with the couches down and stowed. Or, the couch on the passenger side can always be removed for more storage if you want to scoot the side by side closer to the passenger wall. I can't fit much else with the sxs loaded, but it works and fits! hope this info helps!
Old 05-22-2019, 11:56 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by upinthemountains2009 View Post
Hey man. Welcome. So here is what I do. I have a can-am commander 4 seater, its roughly 76" tall x 66" wide at the back tires. I pull it right in with the couches down and against the wall. I wish I had a picture right now, but my sxs fits just fine with the couches down and stowed. Or, the couch on the passenger side can always be removed for more storage if you want to scoot the side by side closer to the passenger wall. I can't fit much else with the sxs loaded, but it works and fits! hope this info helps!
Yeah that's what I was afraid of. With those seats down I believe that they take up roughly 22" of horizontal space not leaving much room for anything else.

See the other units we had been looking at have a higher ceiling so with everything up it was almost 82" of vertical space.

I was hoping to use the top bunk as a storage shelf when were parked but I may have to remove it and that should get me the height clearance to get the SXS with the bottom seats up
Old 05-22-2019, 12:28 PM   #33

welcome Doonz -
You should fit, even with the couches stored vertically ... see my response earlier in this thread about dimensions but I believe I have 78.5" of vertical clearance under the bunk w the couches stored vertically down the walls in my 272. Upinthemountains 2009 has about the largest utv you can buy and if his fits, you shouldn't have a problem.
Blue Ox SwayPro (1503)
Old 05-22-2019, 12:35 PM   #34

Quote:
welcome Doonz -
You should fit, even with the couches stored vertically ... see my response earlier in this thread about dimensions but I believe I have 78.5" of vertical clearance under the bunk w the couches stored vertically down the walls in my 272. Upinthemountains 2009 has about the largest utv you can buy and if his fits, you shouldn't have a problem.
Yes I would fit with them vertically but then the box would be full because they take up roughly 22" of horizontal space.

So if I could get them up higher and have them stored horizontally then I would gain 22" of floor space for other items.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:43 PM   #35

Understood - I thought you were worried about not being able to fit your utv horizontally.

I use the bed of my utv - and the floor under the couches, where the floor slants down to the ramp, has more space than you'd think at first glance.

One thing to keep in mind ... my 272 tows much better on the hwy w the utv pulled farther forward to sit (mostly) over the axles, which leaves more space in the box than you'd think.

Good luck and safe travels!
Blue Ox SwayPro (1503)
Old 05-22-2019, 12:48 PM   #36

Quote:
Understood - I thought you were worried about not being able to fit your utv horizontally.

I use the bed of my utv - and the floor under the couches, where the floor slants down to the ramp, has more space than you'd think at first glance.

One thing to keep in mind ... my 272 tows much better on the hwy w the utv pulled farther forward to sit (mostly) over the axles, which leaves more space in the box than you'd think.

Good luck and safe travels!

Yeah I would want it over the axles as much as possible.

Right now i have a XLR thunderbolt with 12' toybox. With my quad and the kids quad and our stuff its pretty full but the quads would be relocating in to the truck and it would just be the sxs and the stuff.

Biggest thing is the sxs wont clear the inner most part of the bunks but would clear if it was more on the dovetail.

*sigh*
Old 07-14-2020, 08:56 AM   #37

Polaris Ranger 570-4 in octane 237

Just wanted to show that a Polaris ranger will fit into an octane 273. I have a 2020 570-4
Crew and it fits with about an inch in the front and inch in the back with about 1.5 inches on either side of the front wheels. Towed fine as well. I never saw any pics while I was doing research and figured this may help some people. The ranger has to be a midsize though and won’t fit if full-size.
kplax19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 04:49 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by kplax19 View Post
Just wanted to show that a Polaris ranger will fit into an octane 273. I have a 2020 570-4
Crew and it fits with about an inch in the front and inch in the back with about 1.5 inches on either side of the front wheels. Towed fine as well. I never saw any pics while I was doing research and figured this may help some people. The ranger has to be a midsize though and won’t fit if full-size.
So an XP1000 Crew will not fit in the 273 Octane?
ArCummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 06:07 PM   #39

Correct, an XP1000 crew will not fit and an Octane 273
kplax19 is offline   Reply With Quote