Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 12-25-2022, 11:59 PM   #1

Question 36A Owners - What Is Your Unloaded Weight And Stated Cargo Limit

Trying to determine if I am making a mistake.

Had some guys on another forum warn me that loading up 8 people and all the stuff I am more than likely going to be overweight.

Add to that, I am talking about 8 seat toads, and now Im WAY over.

Just wondering what the unloaded weight of your rig is, and what the cargo max number on your door says.
Lavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 12:05 AM   #2

I don't have an 36A but I have a 36C, since I don't have my motorhome now but I want to say my payload is 3900lbs, so my gvw is 24K and my gvwr is 30K. I think my floor plan is almost like your but we don't have bunk bed.

I would say that you should be find but maybe some that have the 36A will chime in.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 10:57 AM   #3

So that 3,900 lbs means that it will hold 3,900 in people, stuff, water, gasoline, propane, and the tongue weight of whatever you put on the hitch, right?

That being said, my 8 people weigh in at a total of 840 lbs (although my wife won't participate in the exact number so I have to guess her contribution to that number)

80 gallons of gas = 480 lbs

56 gallons of propane = 230 lbs

10 gallons of water in heater = 83 lbs

40 gallons black = 332 lbs

40 gallons grey = 332 lbs

72 gallons fresh = 598 lbs

tongue weight limit = 500 lbs

clothes, gear, toys, etc = 500 lbs

And we're at 3,895. So I know that all the fresh, grey, and black tanks wouldn't be full at the same time, and you're not supposed to fill your fresh tank all the way and drive like that, but the point is, even if you back some of those numbers out or way back, you're approaching the maximum cargo capacity quickly. There's not a big margin for error out there..

Im waiting for the salesman to get back to me this morning with a picture of the data sticker to see what the digits are for this unit.

We'll see
Old 12-26-2022, 11:51 AM   #4

I remember years ago when I was learning to fly small airplanes a very experienced older pilot told us they will fly just a little bit overweight, but they will not fly just a little bit out of gas. It’s not gonna hurt to be one or 2% overweight in your RV. I can guarantee you that.
DonC757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 11:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonC757 View Post
I remember years ago when I was learning to fly small airplanes a very experienced older pilot told us they will fly just a little bit overweight, but they will not fly just a little bit out of gas. It’s not gonna hurt to be one or 2% overweight in your RV. I can guarantee you that.
Hahahaha. That SOUNDS like something an old salty pilot WOULD say...
Old 12-26-2022, 05:25 PM   #6

So are you going to travel with all of your tanks full, well I know your gas tank will be,
we don't travel with nothing full but the gas I would say that you are good to go through.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 05:29 PM   #7

No in fact just the opposite.

Im pretty much always in an RV park.

The only water I haul in the 5th wheel is a little in the black tank and enough fresh to flush toilet during the drive.

So Im seemingly OK with what I now know is 4602 cargo weight but am being strongly dissuaded by many the longer I look into this unit
Old 12-26-2022, 06:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavender View Post
So that 3,900 lbs means that it will hold 3,900 in people, stuff, water, gasoline, propane, and the tongue weight of whatever you put on the hitch, right?

That being said, my 8 people weigh in at a total of 840 lbs (although my wife won't participate in the exact number so I have to guess her contribution to that number)

80 gallons of gas = 480 lbs

56 gallons of propane = 230 lbs

10 gallons of water in heater = 83 lbs

40 gallons black = 332 lbs

40 gallons grey = 332 lbs

72 gallons fresh = 598 lbs

tongue weight limit = 500 lbs

clothes, gear, toys, etc = 500 lbs

And we're at 3,895. So I know that all the fresh, grey, and black tanks wouldn't be full at the same time, and you're not supposed to fill your fresh tank all the way and drive like that, but the point is, even if you back some of those numbers out or way back, you're approaching the maximum cargo capacity quickly. There's not a big margin for error out there..

Im waiting for the salesman to get back to me this morning with a picture of the data sticker to see what the digits are for this unit.

We'll see
I've weighed my 36C the day that it was delivered to me and before I took it to its first campsite. The door sticker was accurate.

If I recall correctly, a full tank of fuel is included in the curb weight and you don't need to deduct that from the yellow sticker. The propane is hit or miss- I'd have to go digging into the FMVSS regulations to see how it's calculated. But you may be fine there, too.

Water heaters are rarely emptied, so you're right about that 80 lbs.

Freshwater tank is buyer's choice as to how much water they carry.

Gray/black, figure your grays will be empty and blacks close to empty.

If you're towing a car 4-down, there is no tongue weight that you need to plan on. Dolly towing and trailer towing are different.