Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-14-2019, 06:03 PM   #1

Refrigerator on the Inverter - Precept 31UL

I have a question for the Precept owners out there!
We have a 2016 Precept 31UL with the 4 door refrigerator and 1000 watt inverter.

The owners manual says the refrigerator can run on the inverter while traveling. During our last trip I tried to use this feature. With the engine running and inverter on, I turned on the refrigerator. The ac failure alarm activated (the propane was turned off on purpose). I attempted manual operation and this also failed due to a lack of ac power.

We are getting ready for another trip so I decided to find and fix the problem. While troubleshooting I observed the following:
1. The inverter is working. Output was verified at the junction box under the bed, at the dvd outlet, TV outlet and two outlets by the passenger seat.
2. With the inverter on, there was no voltage to the outlet box for the refrigerator.
3. I opened all of the ac breakers in the power center and the items powered from the inverter continued operating.
4. The output of the inverter does not go through the ac breaker panel.

I am left with only one conclusion, the refrigerator was never wired to run from the inverter.

Are there Precept owners out there who have been able to operate the refrigerator from the inverter?

Thanks
MSR635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 06:09 PM   #2

a/c propane fridges usually are not connected to the inverter. They are probably referencing it in case you have the residential fridge "if available". Owner's manuals are usually written for more than one type and pretty generic.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:19 PM   #3

Inverter and Refrigerator

Thanks for the reply.
I do have the Residential refrigerator. The option package on my Precept has a larger refrigerator and a larger inverter to support the operation of the refrigerator. Because there is a breaker in the ac panel for the refrigerator, I do not think you could power the refrigerator from the inverter. If the output of the inverter was sent to the breaker panel you would power the entire buss bar from the inverter.

Thanks
Old 01-14-2019, 06:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSR635 View Post
Thanks for the reply.
I do have the Residential refrigerator.
If it's a Norcold and also runs on propane it is not a residential fridge.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 06:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSR635 View Post
Thanks for the reply.
I do have the Residential refrigerator. The option package on my Precept has a larger refrigerator and a larger inverter to support the operation of the refrigerator. Because there is a breaker in the ac panel for the refrigerator, I do not think you could power the refrigerator from the inverter. If the output of the inverter was sent to the breaker panel you would power the entire buss bar from the inverter.

Thanks
In your original post you mention shutting off the propane on purpose. Residential refrigerators do not have any propane going to them. What brand refrigerator do you have? I don't see a residential refrigerator listed as an option in the 2016 Precept literature.

My Seneca also has a larger 4-door refrigerator, but it is a Norcold RV absorption refrigerator operating on propane or AC current. And the AC side does not run off of my 1,800 watt inverter. So on the road I use it in the propane mode unless I am running the generator so I can keep the coach cool.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 06:43 PM   #6

Clarification

Thanks for the clarification. I am new to RVing and did not realize the difference between a “residential” refrigerator and what we have. I mistakenly thought the residential term was referring to the four door arrangement. I have the 4 door Norcold with ice maker.

I have based my expectations on the owners manual and a conversation with Jayco Customer Service.

I do not think I am going to find any Precept owners who can run the refrigerator on the inverter.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:24 PM   #7

No Precepts have refers that run on inverter power. It can be done by going to a larger inverter, adding another battery bank and hiring an electrician to do the work. It just takes money as we electricians say.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 06:58 AM   #8

We have the exact same year and model. When traveling the fridge runs off propane and 12v for the control panel. Four door with ice maker. It does work very well in this mode as we use it often.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote