Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-02-2012, 06:00 PM   #11

This is where my next camping off the power grid is going to be if I can get another camper to go with me... With todays economy like it is just isn't a good idea to go by yourself anymore in these out of the way places like this... This is up on the George washington Forest west of Harrisonburg VA on the VA/WVA mountain road line. Its near a place called FLAGPOLE Knob which is fed by a forest trail road.... My OFF-ROAD POPUP does great going down these trails until you meet someone coming the other way hehe...

My spot is just off the area in this neat clearing and has a rocky steam close by...

Doesn't get any better than this... My OFF-ROAD POPUP is going to look right at home here where your big ole fifth wheel might look a bit out of place...

I love getting back into places like this up on the mountain around here....

photos from google images...

RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:25 PM   #12
Site Team

Great spot Roy. I saw on the news there was a fire in the GW forest.

Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:09 PM   #13

Location: Burson, CA In the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mts.
That's a nice looking spot, out and away from everything. About as rough as we get is Forrest Service CGs here in California, there are many and some in some pretty rugged country. There is one on the back side of Bear River Reservoir with about 10 sites that is about 3 miles down a gravel road that I'm going to take the 5er to but first I'm going to drive there without the trailer just to do a recon to make sure there is a site and that I can actually get in it. These are mostly first come first serve.

The Distribution center on our trailer is all Progressive Dynamics. I have not had the opportunity yet to do a full charge off of the genny, We have only been out about 5 times since getting this trailer and so far all but one had hookups.

Steve

Steve, Berne and Rascal
2012 Jayco 31.5 RLTS
2007 F250 Powerstroke
Panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:10 PM   #14

Crabman - They said you could see or smell some smoke all the way to Washington DC from it... Hopefully some of these storms we just had will wash down a bunch of the forest up there...

The lone ranger secret hideout is up that way too - probably a helo stared the fire haha...

Gonna make me mad when I finally get to go out this season and they all have fire bans in place...

My home camp spot at Westmoreland State Park in VA had a ban for open fires one year but allowed the use of charcoal grills so a bunch of us campers all got together with our charcoal grills in a circle and had a great time haha... Always a PLAN-B.

2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
Old 07-02-2012, 08:22 PM   #15

PANHEAD - This is why i love I am allowed to keep my trailer here at my house instead of in some storage area somewhere. Can get to play with all these mods and check everything out before getting way back there in the woods and find it doesnt work like you thought.

I too will do a RECON trip... part of getting out... I still have my 99TJ jeep just wanting to go another trip. Not too many years back this was the way to go tent camping around these parts. Also when I lived in Phoenix AZ... Jeep and 5x8 trailer will go anywhere... Even down the middle of the Salt River that runs thru the Phoenix area. No water in it unless it rains in the North Mountains... Talk about having some fun... I have pictures of my jeep days but they are not on any public forum - i did find this one that really looks familar right down to the the four-inch raised rail around the trailer with a hinged lid... I almost think it migh be the one I actually used out in AZ back in the mid 70s...

photo from google images