Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-25-2023, 05:31 PM   #1

171BH Inverter question

Hi-

I'm a total newbie and have been lurking in the forums for a while but finally took the plunge and bought a (used) 2022 Jayco Jay Feather Micro 171BH. The trailer already has a 12V fridge and the Overlander 1 solar package. I'm having a 3000W Inverter installed and 2x 100Ah lithium batteries.

The dealership told me that they can't connect the microwave to the inverter because an inverter "can't support the amps." I feel like I've read posts from people who run their microwave (for a couple minutes to reheat things, not roast a chicken) off their inverter and batteries and solar while boondocking and even some people who say they can run their AC for a little bit off the inverter. Can someone explain to me what I'm missing?

Thanks,
Jk
JKcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 05:33 PM   #2

With a 3000 Watt you'll be fine. We had an 1800 in our 08 SENECA and it ran the Micro and TV's with no problem.

Watts divided by volts equals amps, so a 3,000=25 amps.
Old 08-26-2023, 04:47 PM   #3

When I first put my 2000W inverter in I ran the microwave 2 hours continuously as a test. No issues. 300AH lithium. Startup power for my microwave appears to be about 1500W, but it will then run on less.

Your trailer came with "Inverter Prep" wiring. Tying into that will power normally just 2 outlets (I don't know which ones on the 171, but typically one by the bed and one by the television). Something much more substantial will have to be done to run the microwave, which is on a separate 20A breaker.

Simplest is to put a 30A outlet on the inverter, and use your regular shore power to plug in. I chose to hardwire mine, and I've had a couple of different ways. I won't go into my original complicated one, but now I've run 10/2 wire from the inverter to behind the power panel, and put a 30A auto-transfer switch in, with the shore power "dominant" meaning that if it is there it handles everything, otherwise the inverter does.

With any of these solutions it is critical to turn off the built-in converter so you don't create a loop. The stock converter on most 22 and earlier is not "lithium compatible" which doesn't mean it won't work, it just won't work well. My converter is not just shutoff at the panel, the wire to its breaker is disconnected so it can't be turned on. I have a separate 30A Victron charger that is on a lighted power switch so it can easily be seen if left on, but the reality is that, with 390W of solar I rarely need it.
Past: 2015 Winnebago View, 2004 Blue Bird M380, 1990 Blue Bird WB40, 2003 Safari Zanzibar, 1998 Safari Sahara

DonBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 07:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKcamp View Post
Hi-

I'm a total newbie and have been lurking in the forums for a while but finally took the plunge and bought a (used) 2022 Jayco Jay Feather Micro 171BH. The trailer already has a 12V fridge and the Overlander 1 solar package. I'm having a 3000W Inverter installed and 2x 100Ah lithium batteries.

The dealership told me that they can't connect the microwave to the inverter because an inverter "can't support the amps." I feel like I've read posts from people who run their microwave (for a couple minutes to reheat things, not roast a chicken) off their inverter and batteries and solar while boondocking and even some people who say they can run their AC for a little bit off the inverter. Can someone explain to me what I'm missing?

Thanks,
Jk
I do it with my 2000W Renogy Pure Sine Wave inverter, so I can't see how a properly wired 3000W inverter wouldn't do the job. Almost all of them also have a surge capacity quite a bit higher, too. Remember that the listed wattage on the microwave is the output or "cooking" wattage and not the total wattage consumed by the microwave to make that cooking wattage. So you'll have some conversion loss through the inverter and some loss through the microwave magnetron in order to give you that "cooking" wattage.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ml#post1110911
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote