Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-07-2022, 10:51 PM   #1

Drip forming near freshwater tank

My wife and I are borrowing/buying my In-Laws 2014 Jay Feather Ultralite 197 staying currently in a long term spot and having some issues with the water. To start, FIL did not properly winterize when he let it sit two years ago, and when we hooked it up last week, a valve burst behind the toilet, and ended up without water for four days. Today, we had the valve repaired, but now I’m noticing a puddle forming under the wheels near the freshwater tank connection. The trailer is currently hooked up under the slide out in the City Water connection, and is completely dry under there. Water pump is turned off, and the water heater was getting power from the electric hookup. We also aren’t experiencing any water forming inside.

After the valve was replaced, we did turn on the water heater, and let that run for a while, we ran the sinks, shower faucet to get pressure back in there, and the toilet has been flushing and filling properly.

Any ideas on what this is? If I’m not seeing water inside the cabin is it serious? This is my first time staying long term and hoping it’s nothing too serious.
TKAshLayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 01:02 AM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to the Forum from Western New York State!

Has it dripped as soon as you connected the water hose, or did it take a couple of days before it started?

First easy check would be a low point drain valve not completely closed. I would check if the fresh water tank has water in it. Since you've connected to city water, and the TT hasn't been used in quite a while, there's a possibility the check valve in the water pump head is allowing water into the tank, and it may be full, and coming out of the overflow tube. Perhaps the tank drain valve isn't closed completely. If the tank is indeed empty, it may be a crack in a line or hose underneath that didn't get winterized. It would be a good idea to crawl under that area to see where drips are forming. There are several possibilities, including the gray or black tank plumbing. Even might even be the bath tub drain P-trap.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 10:04 AM   #3

Thank you for giving me some points to start. I checked the low point drain valves last night, they’re opposite side where the leak was forming. I’m not 100% sure how to check if the freshwater tank is full, I have an electrical check but when I press the button I just get a single light that turns on.

One thing my MIL mentioned was she had this issue before and that there is a white bar running through the middle of the TT on the underside and there is a lever that you have to turn the opposite direction. I’ve been unable to find that lever, though based off the general description.

So I guess my questions now are, how do I determine if the freshwater tank is full, and second, does anyone have anymore description of what kind of lever I am looking for on the underbelly?
TKAshLayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 10:39 AM   #4

Look for this low point drain as it goes directly to the freshwater holding tank and turn it open and see if water comes out.
Now when you & if you winterize you’ll notice that this drain line has a slight bow in it and any water that’s left has a tendency to roll to the shutoff valve resulting in it freezing and cracking over the winter so make sure it’s completely dry when you put it away.
One more thing, file off those sharp edges on the shutoff valve bracket because your head is going to kiss it at some point in time.
Attached Thumbnails
72E6EEA7-2100-4434-96B8-B18C3CDD6B99.jpg