Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-17-2018, 08:34 AM   #1

Lowering 195RB Dinette table a few inches

Has anyone relocated the aluminum hanging strip for their dinette table downward maybe 4" or so? This is a 195RB but I think some of the other SLX models have the same dinette arrangement. Most places in the walls are easy to tell where the studs are located by pushing in on the wall, but the area under the dinette window seems strange. I have put in a request to Jayco but haven't heard anything yet. Just trying to keep my DW happy!
NH_camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:39 AM   #2

There is probably a backer board in the wall for the table mount.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:59 AM   #3

I looked at the blueprints that Jayco sent me for my 2015 195RB Baja (17A Idaho-built model). It shows a series of 1/2" x 5" x 14 3/4" plywood spacers between the studs under the dinette window but those appear to be lower on the diagram than where the dinette is affixed to the wall. According to the diagram the bottom side of those would be 19 13/16" up from the floor. Given the softness of the wall in that area under the dinette it looks like those may be aligned with the exterior side of the studs and not the interior. There is a series of symbols running horizontally under the window right about where the dinette it attached with a definition of "Fasten Interior Side" but nothing to indicate any dimensions.

Hopefully Jayco will get back to you with a set of diagrams for your specific year/model. They were very prompt in response to my request but my unit was out of the 2-year warranty period before I asked.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
There is probably a backer board in the wall for the table mount.
that wall is so wobbly that when I take the table down it moves. I wish there was a more secure connection.. There may be something back there but I have no idea

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:56 PM   #5

Decide where you would like the dinette support strip to be moved to.

Then drill with a 1/16 or 1/8 hole (careful, you don't want to see daylight) and see what is back there. If you don't have the necessary support you can get a crayon type filler and it will be under the table anyway.

I had a mounting problem in my house and purchased a strip of aluminum 1 inch wide by 1/4 thick and 4 feet long. I drilled and screwed it to my studs and then mounted my project to the strip of aluminum This could be a solution if there is inadequate support in your wall.

Has anyone reading this bent the little tabs on the table leg when trying to fold it? I did and can't find a way to replace it. I did replace the little buttons in the leg.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 12:13 PM   #6

Thanks, everyone. I did get a blueprint back from Jayco today. The backer boards don't extend low enough to lower the table much more than an inch or so. I guess lowering the existing table is out. Maybe I'll make or find a freestanding table I can modify to work.
NH_camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 01:42 PM   #7

As uncomfortable as the seat cushions are, an extra cushion on the lady's side might be the best option to raise her up a couple of inches.
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 11:06 AM   #8

How about this idea?

Get a piece of 1x4 lumber and cut it to the length of the table bracket. Stain and finish it to match the table/cabinets. Remove the bracket from the table and glue and screw the lumber in its place so it's running the long way along the table and sticking up 4 inches (minus table thickness). Now attach the removed bracket to the "back" side of the lumber. This should drop the table the required 4 inches, the table will stick out into the aisle only another 3/4 inches, putting up and taking down the table will essentially be the same as before. Depending on the glue you use, it's also easily reversible if you don't like it or for selling.

I think the description is more complicated than it really is, just basically drop for the bracket attached to the table so the wall bracket remains in place.
MontanaRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 02:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRick View Post
How about this idea?

Get a piece of 1x4 lumber and cut it to the length of the table bracket. Stain and finish it to match the table/cabinets. Remove the bracket from the table and glue and screw the lumber in its place so it's running the long way along the table and sticking up 4 inches (minus table thickness). Now attach the removed bracket to the "back" side of the lumber. This should drop the table the required 4 inches, the table will stick out into the aisle only another 3/4 inches, putting up and taking down the table will essentially be the same as before. Depending on the glue you use, it's also easily reversible if you don't like it or for selling.

I think the description is more complicated than it really is, just basically drop for the bracket attached to the table so the wall bracket remains in place.
Since the table will eventually pull away from its trim and you will have to replace that trim with wood, this sounds like a real possibility

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 04:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_camper View Post
Has anyone relocated the aluminum hanging strip for their dinette table downward maybe 4" or so?
!
I have not seen your aluminum bracket but see if this makes any sence to you.

Take that bracket to a sheet metal fabricator near you and have him cut a piece of sheet aluminum the same length as yours and to the new width or length that you desire.
Use your bracket as a template for the holes along the top edge of the sheet aluminum.
Now pop rivet your bracket along the bottom edge of the aluminum sheet.
Paint it if you wish and attach your new fabricated bracket using the existing holes.
Now you just lowered the table the 4 or 5" that you wanted.
Tunce
Old 07-27-2018, 05:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
I have not seen your aluminum bracket but see if this makes any sence to you.

Take that bracket to a sheet metal fabricator near you and have him cut a piece of sheet aluminum the same length as yours and to the new width or length that you desire.
Use your bracket as a template for the holes along the top edge of the sheet aluminum.
Now pop rivet your bracket along the bottom edge of the aluminum sheet.
Paint it if you wish and attach your new fabricated bracket using the existing holes.
Now you just lowered the table the 4 or 5" that you wanted.
Tunce
I could see how this would work. Using sheet aluminum should provide a solid mount. You might want to consider stowing the table when traveling if you don't already. We don't move without the table being stowed as early on it caused issues for the part of the bracket mounted to the table edge.

Below is picture of said wall bracket from our 195RB - assuming this is still the same for newer models:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180727_160638493.jpg  
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 07:26 PM   #12

I just ordered HD foam replacement (foamfactory.com). My #1 complaint with my 195RB was the soft seats. I got their best foam and it was about $65 shipped. If it works, it will be money well spent!
doninok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 10:26 AM   #13

Let us know if it is easier on the buttox.
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote