Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-13-2013, 11:56 AM   #11
Site Team

I told everyone Roy was our Battery authority here! Wow, when it comes to batteries I may be able to type a sentence or two...

Well there is a positive and a negative post, and the things are usually expensive and darn heavy!

Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:25 PM   #12

CRABMAN - Not me hehe.... I get all my good info from the RV NET. There are more BATTERY EXPORTS than you can shake a stick at. You gotta really listen to ones that live in their RV UNITS 24/7. They totally depend on their batteries and solar panels.

I have been pretty successful over the years sleeping out under that stars and running my back in the woods radio operations from the batteries...

I have no idea how a battery works haha...

What gets me is alot of guys will head for the woods with one battery and no smart mode charging aboard and no way to re-charge the batteries. Everytime I did that it got dark on me around 10PM at night - Then I had to listen to Momabear the rest of the trip - "You drag me out here for this !!!" You know how that goes right....

Even in our TENT camping days I had to put rugs on the floors hehe...

Roy Ken

RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:06 PM   #13

Hi RoyBraddy, I finally have a Plan A. The main charger I'll be using is the power converter in the TT, so my set-up will look a lot like yours. I like the idea of keeping the generator in the back of the truck, and plugging the shore cable in there. Now, I thought I mentioned this in a previous post, but it seems to have gotten buried. The 8735P power converter has 3 (smart) charge modes. The problem with power converter chargers seem to be their efficiency rating. I have a smaller set-up than most, so that's not an issue for me.

We did a 9 hour test of our use of amp hours in our driveway, and the battery finished at 12.3. Not bad. One part was keeping the TT at 60 degrees while the outside temperature was low to mid 30's. The draw on my furnace fan is about 3.4 amps, and not running constantly there was not a lot of drain. The battery was back to 90% in several hours, so we're good to go.

We decided to budget our amp hours and not go to a multiple battery set-up. We don't dry camp that often, we don't want or need the extra weight, and neither one of us has any high draw habits.

The NOCO G7200 has an 85% effciency rating, so it might (should) charge faster. In which case I'll use it to charge the battery (disconnected from the power converter as you suggest).

Thanks again for all your help.

Dale

P.S. Now I need to find a trout fishing expert. I don't know anything about that either.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:01 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post
snip...... I would probably have a disconnect switch installed in the battery line coming form the trailer side so I could totally disconnect the battery before applying an external battery charger to the terminals....snip
Roy,

I believe if one disconnects the battery(s) from the TT side the frig's circuit board is also disabled, thus the frig won't operate properly (even in LP mode).

I use a B&D VEC1093 battery charger powered by my Yamaha 2400iSHC to re-charge my battery bank and I'm not aware of any issues leaving my battery/TT side connected (???).

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (integrated sway control)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:53 PM   #15

Rusty eagle - I too have left mine connected -Im just old school and try not leave anything to chance haha... Both units should add to each other if left on...

ONTHEGO if you would change out that WF8735 unit for a PD4635 with "TRUE" smart mode technology then you could re-charge your battery in three hours from your generator connections... The problem with most older WFCO converter/chargers is their ability to go into smart mode charging modes. I tried every trick known to man and dogs to get my WF8945 unit to go into smart mode charging when I got it brand new. I even direct connected to the battery terminals only inches away and still could not get it to do anything except put 13.6VDC. You have to have something that puts out 14.4VDC at around 20AMPS to be able to re-charge a deep cycle battery in as little as three hours. Nothing else works... Like the chart I sent above 13.6VDC requires 40 hours to get to 90% charge state.

here is a conversion sheet showing what the percent of charge verse actual DC voltmeter readings is...

Your WF-8735 says it it is smart mode technology but slap a DC voltmeter across it when charging a 50% charge state battery and I suspect all you ever see is 13.6VDC. The PD4600 series and the PD9200 series units will immediately goes to 14.4VDC charge mode as soon as you turn them on. They have have a manual push button control where you can step them thru any of their charge modes. click click click... I like the WF8900 series power distribution center however... its boss...

CRABMAN will tell you all about crabs off the coast of Virginia. Don't know if he knows anything about trout fishing or not...

RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote