Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-12-2016, 12:57 PM   #11

General system

No, ground mounted. The MPPT charge controller actually increases efficiency of the panels and takes the voltage and converts it for me. I have the panels wired for max voltage in 3 panels in series per string. This will allow the panels to still produce sufficient power even on cloudy days to keep batteries at least on some charge.

Excluding the AC and heater my total estimated load is approximately 127AH/24Hr. I found Trojan has 420AH 6VDC deep cycle L16's. Two of those my load would be about 30% of capacity. Which is right where you want to be.

GlockG20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 07:29 AM   #12

The Xantrex site has good FAQs, App Notes, and Load Worksheets to help size systems,,,, and their inverter manuals answer a lot of questions.

Clamp-on ammeters can measure instantaneous AC current and the Kill-A -Watt - as already suggested - can measure usage over time.
Portable generators and inverters produce "modified sine wave" power - so the accuracy of the Kill-A-Watt device may be affected by this but it will be a good approximation.

If the new home will be "off-grid", I strongly recommend the following:
- install two inverters so you can have 120/240 volt power. This will give you the option of running 240 volt well pumps, etc, and a crude back-up solution if one inverter fails.
- size the system well above what your calculations indicate your needs will be. Many installers quote bare minimum systems to get the business. It's much easier to add capacity now than to retro-fit later. A friend of mine has two 3600 watt Xantrex inverters.
- wire in the connection (permanent or twist-lock + cable ) for a back-up generator so that it will be ready when needed.

jayco1485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 09:42 AM   #13

The Xantrex site has good FAQs, App Notes, and Load Worksheets to help size systems,,,, and their inverter manuals answer a lot of questions.

Clamp-on ammeters can measure instantaneous AC current and the Kill-A -Watt - as already suggested - can measure usage over time.
Portable generators and inverters produce "modified sine wave" power - so the accuracy of the Kill-A-Watt device may be affected by this but it will be a good approximation.

If the new home will be "off-grid", I strongly recommend the following:
- install two inverters so you can have 120/240 volt power. This will give you the option of running 240 volt devices like well pumps, etc, and a crude back-up solution if one inverter fails.
- size the system well above what your calculations indicate your needs will be. Many installers quote bare minimum systems to get the business. It's much easier to add capacity now than to retro-fit later. A friend of mine has two 3600 watt Xantrex inverters. The house is quite small.
- wire in the connection (permanent or twist-lock + cable ) for a back-up generator so that it will be ready when needed.
jayco1485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 07:40 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru297 View Post
What is the actual amps your panels can produce?

And are these mounted on the house you are building?
On a normal summer day, 40-50A, on a cold day... 55-65A. Three monocrystaline 260W panels wired in series through an Outback MPPT charge controller. Right now with smoke from the fires I am producing about 3.8kWh/day otherwise I produce between 4.5-5kWh/day.

GlockG20 is offline   Reply With Quote