Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-01-2014, 04:14 PM   #1

TV antenna booster or TT wiring bad?

So I installed a flat screen TV in the "bedroom" with a digital tuner built in. I hooked up the bat wing antenna and got a couple channels depending on where I was aiming it. Over the dinette there is a 12v cigarette style power port and a coax terminal with a power on/off switch. From what I understand this is the power booster to the coax cable for using the antenna? I turn it off if I was to connect a cable tv connection to the exterior port? With that switch off I won't get anything off the antenna. I have not tested the exterior input connection.

So I decided to install the King jack HDTV replacement antenna thinking I just needed a better antenna after reading some reviews. The red LED does not come on and I didn't get any more stations(about 3-5 depending on the aim). so I bypassed the trailer wiring completely and ran coax from the antenna to the included king jack booster and then to the TV. Now I have like 50 channels but the red LED still didn't come on at the antenna. I guess I'm ok that the red LED on the antenna doesn't light up if I get that many stations?

So I guess it comes down to is there a bad connection in the factory wiring? Bad coax in the factory wiring? The factory booster not working anymore even though the green power LED(the one on the panel that comes on and off when I turn the switch on and off) is working?

Thoughts?

thanks!
Bert

Old 09-01-2014, 04:18 PM   #2

one is blurry, sorry
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20140901_131812_551.jpg   IMG_20140901_131907_882.jpg  

Old 09-01-2014, 07:24 PM   #3

Did the Jack antenna come with a new power injector (wall plate)? Did the led on the wall plate light up ever? If it's not lighting up, have you checked for 12V at the wall plate?
Streamline your A/C
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:25 PM   #4

Sorry, re-read your post. The Wall plate is lighting up right?
Streamline your A/C
Old 09-01-2014, 08:17 PM   #5

The ANTENNA BOOST PANEL is always misleading. All the panel does is send 12VDC up your coax to power up the PRE-AMPLIFIER in the base of the BATWING or JACK Antenna.

If your JACK Antenna also came with a DC INJECTOR MODULE you do not need to have it in-line with the RG CABLE... The original ANTENNA PANEL will provide the necessary 12VDC to power up your JACK ANTENNA. Having both connected may be your problem...

Once you are connected and pointing at the BROADCAST station you have to scan in the digital HDTV signals using the TV menu... You also have to SELECT 'ANTENNA' verses 'CABLE' from the TV menu as well...
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:19 PM   #6

nylyon: yes the wall plate lights up. the new jack antenna came with an inline booster but the instructions say not to use it if I have an existing booster. thats when I bypassed the TT completely and wired coax straight from the new antenna to the new booster to the TV and boom, 50 channels. The red LED on the antenna still doesn't come one though. And I don't want to run a coax everytime I want to watch tv lol.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:28 PM   #7

What happens if you use the new injector (booster) with the existing trailer wiring?
Streamline your A/C
Old 09-01-2014, 08:40 PM   #8

The NEW INJECTOR will work just fine if you DO NOT TURN ON the existing Antenna Panel PUSH BUTTON. I have used the JACK antenna just fine using the existing 12VDC from the existing antenna panel wall plate.

You will know the 12VDC is maiking it to the JACK ANTENNA by observing the LED LIGHT on the JACK ANTENNA near the RG CABLE Connection. If that LED is ON then you have 12VDC POWER on the JACK ANTENNA.

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:45 AM   #9

So I hooked up the new injector to the existing TT wiring and with the TT panel button off, I only get a few channels and the red LED on the new Jack antenna is still off. As I stated before, I have yet to see the red LED on the new Jack come on at all. Yet if I bypass the TT wiring completely I can get 50 channels. So something has to be wrong with the TT wiring, I'm just not sure if its the sun beat coax on the roof or the panel with the on/off button. I pulled the little rubber cover up where the coax from the antenna meets the base of the antenna mount thinking it was a connection and I could just change the short piece that is exposed to the elements but it disappears into the roof. So it looks like I would have to completely pull up the roof mount to change the cable? Or I was thinking about cutting it and putting a new connection on it and adding a new section from there to the antenna.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:48 AM   #10

could I replace that stock control panel with this? I don't see ever needing the 12v outlet.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...er-white/55642