Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-20-2019, 08:43 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
I prefer to be positive instead of negative. If it works great.

Not all of us can afford a $400 tire checker.
Well, I'm thinking that would be "tire pressure MONITORING system" rather than "tire checker", but maybe I'm being picky. Knowing we would be making longer trips with our (then) new 23RLSW, I spent the $$$ on a TireMinder package. Got a nice deal on it, spent about $250 IIRC. It's worked perfectly, and it saved me from a near disaster early last year by alerting me to a sudden loss of pressure in one of my TT tires, *before* I hit highway speeds on I95. That alert saved us from potential damage to the trailer, and may have saved our lives.

In other words, money well spent. After spending $50,000 or more on my rig (TV and TT), $250 is freakin' cheap insurance!

Roger

P.S. After a lot of reading and study, I'm fairly sure that many "blowouts" are not actually blowouts. The pix of shredded tires and RVs are often (not always) the result of a fairly sudden pressure loss, followed by the stress of highway speeds on a failed tire. The tire rips itself apart from heat and other stress, and then can rip up the area around it. The pressure loss could be from any number of reasons, but road debris/hazards are a big factor. I believe Roger Marble (Tireman9) has studied this extensively, and his blog is worth reading, www.rvtiresafety.net. Also, here's a blog post from him on "China bombs" that's instructive: RV Tire Safety: Tire Blowout - China-Bomb or Pothole?

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:49 AM   #22

I'm not being negative just stating the facts that I read from his link. I don't even have a TPMS at all.
Mike
mikegray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:49 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegray View Post
The specs for this says not to be used on RV, TT, etc??
Mike
Yes it does, but like I said it is working just fine for me. We have it on a 2018 White Hawk 26RK and the distance to the trailer tires has not been a problem at all. There are a few settings that have be configured, like PSI instead of BAR, over inflation alarm, temperature alarm, low pressure alarm, etc. After configuring it to my liking, all I have to do is plug in the monitor and hit the road.
carloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:12 AM   #24

Thanks carloss for the info
Old 03-20-2019, 10:18 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nOZ View Post
I have been running the tire minder for 2 years. It can accept up to 22 sensors. Mine came with the booster so my connection is never in question. The transmitters weigh in grams so there’s never been an out of balance issues and yes, I run them on the rubber valve stems. Have not had an issue so far but I do check their condition periodically. The only warning I have received so far was for a loss of signal from a low sensor battery. The in-cab unit lasts a long time on a battery charge. Tire minder will also send you sensor batteries for free. When we first bought our camper this forum touted TPMS and I would never travel without it, thanks to this forum.
We are now on our 3rd year with our Tyre Minder on 10 tires. As mentioned, they also supply new caps, O-rings and Batteries for free each year (for $5 in shipping cost) to the registered owners of Minder systems.

In our experience, this is the #1 item to add to your RV. It is great peace of mind knowing that you have something monitoring tire pressure and temperature while you are rolling down the Interstate.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:41 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
My TPMS is from Minder Research and has alerted me to 2 tire failures (the dreaded Tow Max) and I wouldn’t travel without it. I haven’t measured the distance from dash to tires but I need the booster. I’ve not noticed any issues with tire balance. I have metal valve stems and feel they’re a good idea but probably not mandatory.

Since TPMS alert to a loss of inflation pressure, are you saying that Tow Max tires leak air over a matter of hours? If I check the pressure in the AM and inflation is OK how/why do they hold air for weeks or months but then one day they lose pressure without any puncture or valve leak?

RE TPMS. I selected the brand with Lifetime Warranty (Tire Traker) when I bought my system.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:00 PM   #27

Do you guys monitor your truck tires also, or just the trailer?
Old 03-20-2019, 07:06 PM   #28

Quote:
If it works great.

Not all of us can afford a $400 tire checker.

Are you forgetting that a tire failure can end up doing $Thousands of damage to the RV if you do not get a warning as soon as a tire loses a few psi.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:11 PM   #29

I've towed trailers for over 50-years without a TPMS and never a tire failure.

I may buy one, just for fun.
Old 03-23-2019, 12:59 PM   #30

The tireminder system gets my vote as well. I have had it for a couple of year now . I really like that it makes it easy to "disconnect" your trailer when you aren't towing.

and asking a TPMS question on an RV forum is like asking about best oil on a truck or motorcycle forum! :P
gothsqwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 01:21 PM   #31

The one I like now is the TireTraker... $189 with lifetime warranty.

https://www.tiretraker.com/

https://www.tiretraker.com/proddetail.php?prod=TT500-4
Old 03-23-2019, 01:45 PM   #32

I use the EEZ TPMS. You can monitor up to 18 wheels with it. Been very happy with it and have had no transmittal problems.

https://eezrvproducts.com/
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 03:08 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
They are well documented in many threads here on JOF. I have the TST (Truck system technologies) version. It has one monitor and can monitor 22 tires.

I have all tires on my truck and 5th wheel on it. You may need the optional repeater for adding the boat tires due to the distance but many use it successfully.

There are others that are also well suited to monitoring and I'm sure you will hear from them.

click on the link in my sig to Jayco owners forum custom google search and enter TPMS and it will give you many threads on the subject on JOF.
X2
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:16 PM   #34

I have the TST units. When you put in new batteries and o rings be sure you change the inside o right that you screw onto the valve stem. I forgot one an lost air but the sensor went off and saved the tire.
If you buy the TST units I would not get the ones that you can inflate with the units on the stems. Stick out to far.
My friend bought cheap China specials, they are now in the trash.
I take the units off the stems when not using my toy hauler for a long time. Saves the sensor batteries.
putz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:25 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by prm99v6 View Post
I am not impressed with the Tire Minder system. I installed it on my F450 (6) and trailer (4). The baseline pressure is not adjustable to calibrate the system and the sensors all read wrong. This doesn’t prevent it from alerting to a leak but it would be easy to update the app to do this. I had one sensor fail early on. Found the cheap plastic cap cracked. They sent me a replacement for free so that was good. Then I had two others sensors stop reporting multiple occasions on trips (I have the range booster installed). After changing the batteries they still continued to fail so I replaced them. Now another reports zero pressure 45 minutes after we start driving like clockwork every time. The manual also says it can take up to 20 minutes of driving for the sensor to start reporting correctly.

Looking for another system but after spending a lot of money on this I have a sour taste in my mouth.
I have the Tire Minder and I’ve had many false reporting issues. I finally just turned it off and just look at it at start up. One time it told me me one tire was at 1200 degrees which meant it should have melted on the rim.
It just a piece of crap in my opinion
Kenburke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:44 AM   #36

I have used the Hawks Head HD TPMS system for several years. I quit using it because it is so unreliable. I have had 4 tire problems since I owned it and only got notification one time. In fact, the last time i had a blow out and the shredded tire broke the valve stem (metal) on the adjacent tire. Both tires went flat and the Hawks Head TPMS system reported 80 PSI on both tires for hours even though the sensor from the broken valve stem was about one quarter mile from the truck. I also had many problems with slow sensor response and replaced two of the 4 sensors over the years. The Hawks Head people suggested I replace the whole system and offered a 20% discount with no explanation about why I should expect better performance.

The system is made in China and when looking for a replacement system I saw sensors the looked the same as the Hawks Head system. China units are frequently from the same manufacturer and custom branded. For example, the Tire Minder system sensors look identical to the Hawks Head system so I will not buy that brand either.

Still looking for a reliable TPMS.
jghflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:15 AM   #37

Quote:
The one I like now is the TireTraker... $189 with lifetime warranty.

https://www.tiretraker.com/

https://www.tiretraker.com/proddetail.php?prod=TT500-4
This is the system I'm looking at as well. The system I mentioned in my previous post is out of stock. I wonder if anyone has any experience with the TireTraker.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:43 AM   #38

Since TireTraker has a lifetime warranty they should have a pretty good unit, or the returns would drive them nuts. I will know how it works in a few days.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:32 AM   #39

Quote:
I will know how it works in a few days.
Keep us posted please.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 01:37 PM   #40

We have been using the TST 507 since 2014. Never have had any issues with it. I believe that I may finally need to change the sensor batteries this year. 5 yrs. on the original batteries. We'll see...