Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-18-2015, 04:51 PM   #11

I should revise my above statement.
I did not re-pack bearings every year, sometimes it was like every other year, etc.

linkbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 06:55 PM   #12

How any of you would pay a little extra for brakes and bearing designs from this century. Self adjusting brakes and sealed bearings have been used in the auto industry as standard for decades. I for one would pay extra at purchase time for a more maintenance free ownership experience.

Not an expert on packing bearings by any means but there are more variables with hand packed bearings where refreshing the grease and inspecting often is a good idea. Imho

2014 Whitehawk 33BHBS
Equilizer WDH
2014 F250 4X4 Crew Cab 6.2 l 3.73
2010 F150 4X4 Supercrew 4.6l 3.73 (traded in)
t2daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 07:18 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2daniel View Post
How any of you would pay a little extra for brakes and bearing designs from this century. Self adjusting brakes and sealed bearings have been used in the auto industry as standard for decades. I for one would pay extra at purchase time for a more maintenance free ownership experience.

Imho
They are available already on rv's

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 07:42 PM   #14

I have self-adjusting breaks. I think most Jayco's sold in the past ~5 years all have self-adjusting breaks.
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 08:33 PM   #15

Dexter also nas a never-lube axle as well. It has a sealed cartridge type bearing that is good for 100,000 miles. I have a set on a flatbed trailer I built. Picked them up used and had to replace one bearing as it was running a bit warm. The bearing was about 120.00 and can be changed in about 1/2 hr but you need a press.
The PO had his axles replaced so he could run a specific aluminum wheel on his 5er to match his truck. the wheels had an offset and these axles have to be run with 0" wheel offset. I know he used them anyway for a while thus the replacement bearing.

Ross..
Old 04-18-2015, 08:38 PM   #16
Site Team

I have had nev-r-lube bearings and EZ lube bearings. I know several friends who have had Nevr lubes seize up way before 100k. Not a fun trip on the side of the road.

EZ lubes sound great but IMO they give you a false sense of security. I have mine checked every other season and repacked if needed. Also I have the seals changed every other year at the same time. Cheap insurance IMO.

Also have self adjusting brakes on my current rig. So far so good in 4 years but I still have them inspected every other year.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote

« Battery | New owner »