Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-28-2014, 07:16 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
UPCamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: The Mitten
Posts: 459
Uh oh, we are getting into the gas vs diesel debate again!

I'd say if the budget can take it, upgrade now. It will be much more enjoyable to tow across the country. And I would recommend diesel. I finally upgraded to it myself and its night and day. I would never go back.

FWIW, I have a Ford with the new powerstroke 6.7 and its great but I know the Duramax and the Cummins are equally as good.
__________________

UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 08:07 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: NY Southern Tier
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwsmith111 View Post
Give it some time, you will see...
Agree. That's why I just got rid of my 2007 2500HD Duramax for a new 2015 2500HD 6.0 gas. Second glow plug to go in a year at $240 a pop to get the dealer to change. Loved towing with the Duramax, but afraid of the cost going forward. If the next glow plug to go were to not come out then I'm talking $4k to take the heads out to remove, although my dealer told me that they have always been able to get them out after a couple of days of penetrating oil and heat cycling. I don't even want to think about needing a new injector.

My opinion. If you are going to tow less than 2000 miles per year and your trailer weighs less than about 9000 lbs get the gas engine. If you're towing 5k miles per year and towing 10k pounds or more then get the diesel. In any case, get a 3/4 ton for anything over 5000 lbs, unless you only tow a few hundred miles a year.
__________________

__________________
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.0L 4.10
2015 Jayco White Hawk 24RKS
RVer-Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 09:07 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
nylyon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Southeast, NY
Posts: 960
If the assumption is that the new truck is in the budget I would say that since your wife is retiring soon and you have more extensive travel plans a new larger tow vehicle will make the retirement more enjoyable. It sounds like the primary purpose of the vehicle is changing. Where a 1500 is a good all around vehicle, a 2500 / 3500 is more suited to towing because of the stronger components (suspension, steering, brakes, tires etc.).

I am a few years out from retirement, and I plan to travel a lot more myself. A new F350 dually will certainly be in the plan, hoping it will be the last tv I purchase.
__________________
Karl - Southeast, NY
2011 Jayco Super Lite 30.5 BHLT
2003 Ford F250 Lariat 6.0 PowerStroke Turbo Diesel My mods Bathroom Door Water Filter TV mount Cork Board
Streamline your A/C
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 09:44 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: NC
Posts: 973
For extensive travel comfort is important, safety is important and quality is important. You can find all three within a range of budgets. But the budget planning phase is important, very important. Otherwise what most often goes on is you buy to small an RV to fit your existing TV, then you upgrade your TV and trade in your RV for something bigger. It's these steps that cost more than all the repairs and fuel combined that you need to avoid.
__________________
No man has a good enough memory to be a successful liar. Abraham Lincoln

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:27 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 1,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVer-Bill View Post
My opinion. If you are going to tow less than 2000 miles per year and your trailer weighs less than about 9000 lbs get the gas engine. If you're towing 5k miles per year and towing 10k pounds or more then get the diesel. In any case, get a 3/4 ton for anything over 5000 lbs, unless you only tow a few hundred miles a year.
All of this seems to be quite extreme to me.

First of all, the modern gas engines are capable of towing significantly more than 9000 lbs. The Fleetwood Bounder is one of the most popular gas engine class A motorhomes available right now. They are rated at 26K lbs GVWR and a tow rating of 5K lbs. There you have a gas engine moving 31K lbs. A 8000 lbs truck and 9000 lbs trailer is about HALF the weight of the Fleetwood Bounder. A 6.4 Hemi also has about 30 or 40 more HP than the Ford V10 in the Bounder. Would a diesel pull with more ease? Yes, but its foolish to say that a gas engine cannot get the job done.

3/4 ton for anything over 5000 lbs? Again, super extreme. Most modern half tons are rated for at least 8000 lbs towing. I have zero reason to believe that a half ton cannot safely and comfortable tow up to the ratings, especially with the new standard that most manufacturers use.

3/4 ton for anyone towing more than a few hundred miles a year? Most of my trips are over a few hundred miles each time. I tow to Florida almost every winter and that is over 2000 miles round trip. My half ton hasn't even had a hiccup yet towing over 5000 lbs and over a few hundred miles. The old standard for average mileage was 12,000 miles a year. For people that tow infrequently, maybe less than 10% of their miles, that's still 1200 miles a year towing. If I didn't go to Florida in a year, I would be around 1200 miles a year towing.

You think I need a 3/4 ton diesel engine to tow 1200 miles a year with a 6500 lbs trailer? What about the other 11,000 miles a year when I need the truck as a daily driver? The diesel isn't an appropriate vehicle for me. I live in the eastern US. We don't have the altitudes out west. I have a lot of trips under 10 miles. I have no need for the diesel.

Depending upon how and where the OP tows he may or may not need a diesel. He states he will be snowbirding "across the country". Sounds like a lot of miles a year for an extended period of time. Sounds like he will be carrying a decent amount of supplies with him on the trips. A 28 foot Jayco is at the higher end of reasonable for a half ton. A half ton could suffice if he needed it to work. He would have to watch weights and not carry as many supplies, which may be hard if you are going out for 3+ months at a time. In that case, a 3/4 time would make things easier... but only if he can afford the financial aspect of the decision. A diesel is another $8K for relatively light weights. The added weight of the diesel cuts into the payload, which is what he would be trying to maximize by going to a 3/4 ton.

If the OP just has a wad of cash burning a hole in his pocket that he needs to get rid of, go ahead and get a diesel... but why a 3/4 ton? Might as well make it a class 5 or heavier truck if we are going to grossly undervalue the engineered specifications of the vehicles.

For some reason, I don't think the OP is just trying to burn cash. He is trying to figure out if he has enough truck or not.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:49 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: NY Southern Tier
Posts: 105
@spoon059
Have you ever towed with a 1/2 ton loaded near it's rating? I have and it is not such an enjoyable tow. Downshifting and reving at 4200 RPM on every slight grade. That's not what I call an enjoyable tow. Sure it will get you there, but constant shifting 2 or 3 times every 1/8 mile over rolling terrain is not for me. Perhaps you like that, but I don't. My Duramax didn't even shift out of 6th once over that terrain while towing an 8500 lt trailer. My 1500 with the 5.3 would shift all the time towing less than 6000 lb. I weighed it, so I know what it was. The 1500 had a GCWR of 13000 lb and my total weight was 11440 lb. I will never tow with that little margin again. Yes, it can be done, but again not for me.

I remember a guy once telling me that he could tow with no problem over his truck rating. I asked him how it did on the hills he traveled in the Adirondacks. He said, " No problem. I just put it in 1st gear and go up at 20 MPH." Well, good for him. I take it that you would consider that acceptable.

"You think I need a 3/4 ton diesel engine to tow 1200 miles a year with a 6500 lbs trailer?" I didn't say that. You really must learn to read.
__________________
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.0L 4.10
2015 Jayco White Hawk 24RKS
RVer-Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:35 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
milw156's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 311
This thread is really going places where every other RV-related forum has already gone.

My 28' White Hawk is definitely "half ton towable". Could I have continued to use my F150, sure. But I didn't enjoy the experience even though the CAT scale said I was ok. The timing was right so I upgraded to the 1 ton with the Duramax. It's complete overkill, but it's so stable and stress free that I actually look forward to long distance towing.

OP, You're going about it the right way because you're asking the right questions.

Your situation, your budget, your decision. But I've never heard a complaint about someone having too much tow vehicle for their trailer.
__________________
2017 RAM 3500 SRW Laramie Crew Cab Long Bed w/6.7 CTD & Aisin
2015 Eagle 284BHBE Premier
milw156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:43 AM   #28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: NY Southern Tier
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by milw156 View Post
This thread is really going places where every other RV-related forum has already gone.

My 28' White Hawk is definitely "half ton towable". Could I have continued to use my F150, sure. But I didn't enjoy the experience even though the CAT scale said I was ok. The timing was right so I upgraded to the 1 ton with the Duramax. It's complete overkill, but it's so stable and stress free that I actually look forward to long distance towing.

OP, You're going about it the right way because you're asking the right questions.

Your situation, your budget, your decision. But I've never heard a complaint about someone having too much tow vehicle for their trailer.
Exactly. It can do it, but overkill is much more enjoyable and probably a little safer.
__________________
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.0L 4.10
2015 Jayco White Hawk 24RKS
RVer-Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 01:40 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 1,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVer-Bill View Post
@spoon059
Have you ever towed with a 1/2 ton loaded near it's rating? I have and it is not such an enjoyable tow. Downshifting and reving at 4200 RPM on every slight grade.


"You think I need a 3/4 ton diesel engine to tow 1200 miles a year with a 6500 lbs trailer?" I didn't say that. You really must learn to read.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVer-Bill View Post
In any case, get a 3/4 ton for anything over 5000 lbs, unless you only tow a few hundred miles a year.
First question, yes I have towed with my Tundra near its rating. My 5.7 has plenty of power to pull that weight. I don't feel comfortable towing 5 tons with a half ton truck, so I don't make a normal habit of doing it. BUT... I have done it and had plenty of power. Slight grades don't require revving to 4200 RPM's. Perhaps your half ton was just an anemic dog...

Regardless of all that, you have a 3/4 ton truck with a gas engine that makes less power than my Tundra. Your truck is heavier and less powerful, so if either of us are struggling to get UP that slight grade it would be YOU. The benefit of a gas powered 3/4 or 1 ton truck is increased payload and braking ability. You aren't arguing the benefits of the 3/4 ton truck and you lose the argument on pulling power against my 381 HP and 401 lbs/ft torque combined with probably 1000+ lbs more in weight.


#2 My most sincere apologies, you didn't say that I needed a DIESEL to pull over 5000 lbs, but you stated that I needed a 3/4 ton because I tow more than 5000 lbs and more than a few hundred miles. I grossly mischaracterized your argument... That being said, I don't need a 3/4 ton GAS truck to pull my 6500 lbs trailer 3,000 miles a year. When I retire and am towing more than 25% of my yearly miles, a 3/4 or 1 ton truck will be more important to me. Again, so very sorry for mixing up the randomly picked weight ratings that you came up with for various weight classes of trucks and engines.

I notice that you don't say a word about the fact that Class A motorhomes weighing twice as much pull just fine though. Convenient that you pick an obscure and incorrect argument to start with, then nit pick for a minor factual mistake in my argument rather than deal with the bigger issue.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 01:53 PM   #30
Site Team
 
WVDusty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Charleston
Posts: 1,546
Come on guys!!!
I don't think these arguments are going to help the OP at all.
__________________

__________________
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/re...%3A_douuy_o5dq

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.