Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Towing, Hitching and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2017, 02:15 PM   #1

Blue Ox Pro Sway - Get standard height frame of Jay Flight SLX 245rlsw??

Hello,

I am considering ordering a 2018 Jay Flight SLX 245rlsw Rocky Mountain Edition that is 28' in length and has a 7000 lb GVWR and would like to utilize a Blue Ox Pro Sway WDH 10,000/1000 wd bars with it if my Andersen doesn't work. I have had an Equalizer WDH previously.

Question: I would like to order it with the standard height frame which has a hitch height of 25 1/4 inches rather than the flipped axle Baja Edition frame that has a hitch height of 27 1/2 inches. I've heard that lower trailers will tow better. With the standard frame height will the Blue Ox Pro Sway bars be dragging too low for going over speed bumps, going up or down slightly elevated surfaces such as driveways, occasional gravel or dirt roads??

More background if interested:

My TV is a 2016 Ford F150 XLT SCREW (145" wheel base) with the 3.5 EcoBoost, 3:55 gears, and max tow package. (Doesn't have Heavy Payload package). Specs are 11,500 lbs towing, 1845 lbs payload capacity, 3450 Front Axle, 3800 Rear Axle. I currently utilize an Andersen WDH with my 2017 Jay Flight SLX 175RD Baja Edition which runs about 3200 lbs with a tongue weight of around 500 lbs and tows fine with the Andersen.

The 2018 Jay Flight SLX 245rlsw Colorado Edition is a double axle trailer that has a GVWR of 7,000 lbs and is 28'2"" in total length. I expect that when it is loaded for the 3-4 day outings that we go on and stay at full hookup sites it will be around 5800 lbs with a tongue weight of about 700 lbs. If the Andersen doesn't tow it well I plan on switching to a Blue Ox Pro Sway.

I have had an Equalizer for a different trailer and it worked well with it but I was constantly getting grease on my clothing when attaching and detaching the head assembly to the hitch receiver so I thought I would go with Blue Ox Pro Sway if I needed to have better weight distribution and possibly better sway control since the Andersen WDH has a reputation of not working as well on the medium to large trailers.

Thanks in advance.
OregonPerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:29 PM   #2

Look at the way the tongue of your new trailer is. Notice whether the coupler is welded to the top of the frame or the bottom of the frame. Mine is "under-mount" (welded to the bottom of the frame), so my Blue Ox is spec'd for "under-mount" coupler. There is a difference in the hitch heads, so you need to be sure you order the correct Sway Pro.

I would say you will be fine on clearance with the Sway Pro. The bars don't ride quite as close to the trailer frame as they would on an Equal-i-zer (or another hitch with "trunnion style bars), but they're also not "underslung" like a standard "round-bar" hitch like the Fastway E2 or some of the other offerings on the market, esp the ones without integrated sway control.

I can tell you I have absolutely no clearance issues. But then I have a really tall truck, and a relatively tall trailer. The shank I have for my hitch head hangs down pretty low too (see comment above about a tall truck), and I've never scraped it.

I like my Sway Pro a lot and would not hesitate to recommend to a friend. Setup is dead simple, adjustment is super easy if necessary, it's simple to use, it's clean, and it's quiet. Customer service is second to none too; it's a GREAT group of people over there who will bend over backwards to help you. At least they did for me anyway.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:12 AM   #3

I have a jayfeather that has an almost identical hitch height and I have never had an issue with the blueox dragging the bars. It is quite low. I had to get the extended drop shank to keep it close to level though.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk