Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-29-2014, 07:19 AM   #11

I really appreciate all the responses from y'all. Looks like a P2 or P3 will be the one I buy. One question - I have looked up the product details on both, and notice that the P2 is listed as designed for electric over hydraulic, whereas the P3 says it has a selector for either electric or electric over hydraulic. Does this mean that the P2 has to be installed in the TV hydraulic system, while the P3 can be pure electric ? The current one I have is connected via Ford factory wiring harness (electric only), and does not involve the TV hydraulic system.

Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:16 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
The P2 says NC when it has no connection.
Even my Primus IQ (model below the P2) tells you when the trailer is connected or not or if there's a short anywhere in the wiring (don't ask me how I know!).

I would go with the P2 for a good mix of quality and value. It is what I would buy if I had my druthers.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:50 PM   #13

Have looked all over the internet at Tekonsha P2 installation instructions, and none say anything at all about connecting to the TV's hydraulic brake system - just the electrical wiring. Yet all the ads for the P2 say "designed for hydraulic over electric systems", which I believe is a reference to connection to the hydraulic brakes on the TV, and electric on the trailer. The P3, on the other hand, is advertised with a selector setting for either hydraulic over electric, or all electric.

What am I missing here ??
Retired at last !

Old 08-02-2014, 09:53 AM   #14

The documentation for the P2 and P3 that I have seen refers to either being suitable for electric over hydraulic brakes. They are both inertial controllers - they have a sensor within the controller that senses the deceleration, in forward or reverse, of the tow vehicle. They supply voltage to the trailer proportional to the amount of deceleration. The trailer uses that voltage either directly (as in standard electric brakes) or uses the voltage to operate a device on the trailer that creates and supplies hydraulic pressure to the trailer hydraulic brakes. Neither Prodigy connects to a tow vehicle's hydraulic brake system.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2008 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 11:12 AM   #15

I have been using the Tekonsha Prodigy wireless brake controller. Excellent unit and very reliable to date. Lots of adjustments and sensitivity levels including powerbooster options.

It's a five minute, DIY installation, only 4-screws box to fix on the trailer frame, plug your trailer cord into it, then plug the Prodigy's cord in your vehicle's receptacle.

In-car control unit is a hand held unit (actually shaped like a old cb microphone!). Plug it in the 12Volt power outlet and you are done.

Best part, when not using the trailer, I just store it in the glove compartment. No permanent box screwed-in under the dash.

It is an amazing product really.

Just one word of caution, do not place the controller box within inches of your cellphone (I had mine directly on to of it). This may interfere with the brake box's signal.

Other than that, it has been a stellar product so far and I highly recommend it.
Mike in Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 03:32 PM   #16
Site Team

I have had the P3 for nearly 5 years now and am a happy camper. Here is the Brake controller poll and discussion which may also help:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f18/brake-controller-poll-6150.html
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 07:13 PM   #17

Thanks, everyone, for the very helpful information. Glad to hear that neither P2 or P3 involve the TV hydraulic brake system. Many years ago I had a controller that DID tie into that system, and it worked fine, but you had to bleed the brakes when you installed it, and occasionally thereafter. The wireless system Mike describes sounds almost too good to be true, but I will definitely look into that as well.

Again, many thanks, guys !
Retired at last !

Old 08-04-2014, 07:07 PM   #18

Another Vote for the P2. I installed one in my 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan for my 14SO P-Up. This trailer is a tandem axle and has a GVWR of 3330lbs ... once I adjusted the trailer brakes properly, and set the controller properly, I have never touched it again. I have had no trouble stopping, either in stop and go traffic or suddenly due to some moron (but that's a different story ).
Old 08-13-2014, 07:19 PM   #19

P3 here. Love it and it's a breeze to setup and test the trailer brakes on their own to ensure I have the right amount of braking set.

Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote