Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-03-2014, 12:59 PM   #31

I assume you mean not in overdrive when you say tow mode. My 07 F150 has a button on the side shifter that you push to put in or out of overdrive. My truck has a 5.4 V8 and I normally tow my trailer out of overdrive and get around 11.0 miles per gallon. If I used overdrive in flat terrain,the RPMs will drop and I could get closer to 13 mpg but I'm afraid to because I dont want to damage the transmission. When you turn the engine off, it defaults back to overdrive. I forgotten a few times and realized I was towing In overdrive, but honestly, I dont feel it jumping back in forth from low to high unless I'm in hilly country. It sounds like the eco boost is good engine, but I dont believe anyone who says it pulls like there's nothing back there. Diesels maybe, but not gas engines.

Old 09-03-2014, 01:30 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruswms View Post
I assume you mean not in overdrive when you say tow mode. My 07 F150 has a button on the side shifter that you push to put in or out of overdrive. My truck has a 5.4 V8 and I normally tow my trailer out of overdrive and get around 11.0 miles per gallon. If I used overdrive in flat terrain,the RPMs will drop and I could get closer to 13 mpg but I'm afraid to because I dont want to damage the transmission. When you turn the engine off, it defaults back to overdrive. I forgotten a few times and realized I was towing In overdrive, but honestly, I dont feel it jumping back in forth from low to high unless I'm in hilly country. It sounds like the eco boost is good engine, but I dont believe anyone who says it pulls like there's nothing back there. Diesels maybe, but not gas engines.
Does the torque converter lock in 6th? IIRC, it does not in the GM 6 spd transmissions like mine. That's one of the reasons the tow/haul button locks out 6th gear. If the torque converter doesn't reach full lock, that's what creates all the heat and destroys your transmission. Engaging T/H disables 6th gear and allows the torque converter to lock up in 5th (or lower). I could be wrong, but I seem to remember reading that somewhere a while back. I always tow in T/H mode anyway, so I never really gave it much thought.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 01:36 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Does the torque converter lock in 6th? IIRC, it does not in the GM 6 spd transmissions like mine. That's one of the reasons the tow/haul button locks out 6th gear. If the torque converter doesn't reach full lock, that's what creates all the heat and destroys your transmission. Engaging T/H disables 6th gear and allows the torque converter to lock up in 5th (or lower). I could be wrong, but I seem to remember reading that somewhere a while back. I always tow in T/H mode anyway, so I never really gave it much thought.

T/H mode does not lock out 6th for me. It will jump down to 5 (or 4) quicker tho when you're going up/down hills or facing a wind.

It'll cruise along just fine under normal conditions in 6th though.

You can manually lock out 6 if you choose to. But I always leave it in T/H mode and forget about it.

2014 White Hawk 28DSBH
2012 F150 EcoBoost MaxTow
Reese 1200 WDH / Dual Cam Sway Control
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:38 PM   #34

I don't think the Fords had tow haul in '07. In '07 I think they still used a four speed transmission and the button locked out overdrive.
12VOLTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:40 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmward View Post
T/H mode does not lock out 6th for me. It will jump down to 5 (or 4) quicker tho when you're going up/down hills or facing a wind.

It'll cruise along just fine under normal conditions in 6th though.

You can manually lock out 6 if you choose to. But I always leave it in T/H mode and forget about it.
Interesting, I thought 6 was an overdrive gear, thus it would be locked out when you engage the T/H mode. I think that's how it works on mine (again, a GM), but I'm certain even if it didn't lock 6th out, I wouldn't be able to tow in 6 unless I was going downhill with a tail wind! LOL!

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:41 PM   #36

Also, as dmward stated, the tow haul button on my 2013 does not lock out 6th gear. I believe it just changes the shift points to handle the load better.
12VOLTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:42 PM   #37

peter - I roll at 65 mph - I try to keep all rubber inflated to max suggested pressure, but am thinking about getting tire pressure monitoring system...
Longmont CO USA
eventdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 03:30 PM   #38

An interesting phenomenon I noticed on my PNW trip this past summer.
With cruise control off, the ECU favors RPM to make power
With cruise control on, the ECU favors boost.

E rated Michelin LTX M/S2s

"No matter where you go, there you are"
-Buckaroo Bansai
frieed is offline   Reply With Quote