Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-27-2013, 06:12 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
David472's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 1,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Well I know the OP is looking at used and new ones are outrageously expensive but I just saw a Ram 3500 commercial, 30,000 lb tow rating (they say best in class) and 850 torque. Wow, that`s 3X the tow rating of my poor old 2500HD gasser.
This has me wondering what the fuel consumption would be towing a 30,000 lb load? Diesel or not.
A little birdy told me an 18 wheeler gets about 5 mpg.
__________________

__________________
Jayco Eagle 31.5RLDS
GMC Sierra 2500 HD
David472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:08 PM   #32
Site Team
 
norty1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 12,056
I avg. 11mpg towing. Sometimes better, often worse in heavy hills and headwinds.
__________________

__________________
Moderator
2011 351RLTS Eagle, Mor/Ryde suspension & pin box
06 F350 Lariat PSD, SRW, LB, CC, EGR delete kit, 16K DrawTite hitch, Timbrens, TST TPMS

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:42 AM   #33
Senior Member
 
3firetrucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 549
So looks like I won't save money towing since mileage seems pretty consistent with what I get now. But at least I will climb the mountains better. I read an article today that said most of the people having troubles with the F350 6.0, likely added a chip or other upgrade that assisted with the major issues. Went on to say leaving the engine stock, will be the best thing for the truck. Seems like the 6.0 are most reasonably priced where I am, so I'm kind of swinging in that direction.
__________________
2008 Jayco Jay Feather Sport Ultra Lite 197
2005 Dodge Durango V8
TANSTAAFL
3firetrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 04:37 PM   #34
Junior Member
 
Pyro1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Meridian
Posts: 9
I have a 2008 f350 KR 4x4 single rear wheels. 6.4L, yea they have problems, mostly because of the DPF & EGR crap. Too much heat, it's hard on them. I had to replace the up-pipes & turbos because the previous owner had run it hard with the DPF on it. Now, it's straight pipe back from the turbos. I run an S&B cool air intake, no EGR or DPF, Heavy duty up-pipes, Dash Daq with a Spartan tune. I run the DFP delete 210 HP Performance Tow Tune with early lock up. I get around 11 MPG pulling my 13K 33.5QBDS. My exhaust gas temp stays below 1000F, oil & water temps are very close & stable. Trans temp around 170F, I love how this truck pulls, it's a great TV, but without the mods, I'd be scared of it. Just my $.02.
__________________
2008 F350 SuperDuty King Ranch, S&B Intake, Straight Exhaust, Rudy's HD Up-Pipes, Spartan Tuner 210hp Towing Tune
Pyro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 05:44 PM   #35
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Johnsonville
Posts: 58
IMHO all the mods are the problem. Leave those (any) truck stock and you will have way less trouble.
__________________
Jayco 32bhds

Daytripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:05 PM   #36
Junior Member
 
Pyro1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Meridian
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytripper View Post
IMHO all the mods are the problem. Leave those (any) truck stock and you will have way less trouble.
Not true with the 6.4, the DFP kills this engine. Ask any that has had one. Great engine, but the DPF regeneration creates too much heat!
__________________
2008 F350 SuperDuty King Ranch, S&B Intake, Straight Exhaust, Rudy's HD Up-Pipes, Spartan Tuner 210hp Towing Tune
Pyro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:11 PM   #37
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Central California
Posts: 2,243
I agree DPF and EGR are the problem, but my state there no way around it unless you want to undo the delete for the bi-annual inspection and then re-delete again. Plus you better have a real clean tune, black smoke will get you pulled over anymore.

I am still running all the exhaust components but have a couple towing tunes in order to get a turbo break and a little more HP.

Aggressive racing tunes and sled pulling tunes with EGR/DPF plus a stock transmission will kill any diesel. That's the issue, to many Gus buy an EFI or another tuner get questionable tunes off the internet or build their own without knowing what they are doing.

There are plenty of very reputable diesel shops that know exactly what they are doing and offer very safe tunes that make incremental improvement and generally allows the truck to run better.
__________________
2007 Chevy Duramax LMM/Allison
2012 Jay Flight 29QBH
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:26 PM   #38
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Johnsonville
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
I agree DPF and EGR are the problem, but my state there no way around it unless you want to undo the delete for the bi-annual inspection and then re-delete again. Plus you better have a real clean tune, black smoke will get you pulled over anymore.

I am still running all the exhaust components but have a couple towing tunes in order to get a turbo break and a little more HP.

Aggressive racing tunes and sled pulling tunes with EGR/DPF plus a stock transmission will kill any diesel. That's the issue, to many Gus buy an EFI or another tuner get questionable tunes off the internet or build their own without knowing what they are doing.

There are plenty of very reputable diesel shops that know exactly what they are doing and offer very safe tunes that make incremental improvement and generally allows the truck to run better.
Oh I agree they will run better/faster/more mpg whatever but longevity is best stock. No question. Go to any tranny shop and ask them. Why do they void warranties when you chip? it tears stuff up. They could get 100 more hp from the factory for nothing, but they want them to last. Any hotrod ever built has a weak link somewhere.
__________________
Jayco 32bhds

Daytripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:52 PM   #39
ADK
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 34
I wouldn't rule out the 6.0. Probably can get a bargain based on the reputation and I think all brands have had issues. Benefit with this one is that they are well understood now and there are many videos showing what to look for and how to bulletproof. Check out the ford-trucks or powerstroke forums for more info.

An added benefit is no DPF or urea system. Only the EGR.

Biggest parameters to monitor on these are EOT-ECT. Keep below 15F after level steady cruising.
__________________
Scott
Upstate NY

2014 264BH
2006 F350 6.0 CCLB SRW
1999 Lance Lite 915 - Sold
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:55 PM   #40
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: san marcos
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK View Post
I wouldn't rule out the 6.0. Probably can get a bargain based on the reputation and I think all brands have had issues. Benefit with this one is that they are well understood now and there are many videos showing what to look for and how to bulletproof. Check out the ford-trucks or powerstroke forums for more info.

An added benefit is no DPF or urea system. Only the EGR.

Biggest parameters to monitor on these are EOT-ECT. Keep below 15F after level steady cruising.
I'd rock a 6.0 in a heartbeat. They got power and mpg's like you say keep an eye on the delta's and you're gold.
__________________

Cookies Cleared is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.