Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-17-2016, 09:19 PM   #11

You are far better off to replace the brake shoes. The grease will impregnate the shoe no matter how much cleaning. In years past on farm tractors that got grease on them, I would remove the shoes, wash them in parts cleaner and then heat them with a*torch to burn off grease residue. It worked but truthfully new shoes don't cost that much. When you put in the cost of new grease seals, washing and repacking the bearings and the labor invested, you want to do it right the first time.

Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 09:27 PM   #12

Throw those cheap lube zerks away. Hand pack only.

goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 05:45 AM   #13

What do I need to do a repack ? I bought a packer and some high temp grease,do I just need to figure out the p/n for the seals... I believe they are d52 axels if I'm reading the tag right. I bought it last year and by the looks of the tires there are not too many miles on it but I am taking an eight hour trip to Nova Scotia so I want to make sure they're good
Bigmoo315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 07:08 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmoo315 View Post
What do I need to do a repack ? I bought a packer and some high temp grease,do I just need to figure out the p/n for the seals... I believe they are d52 axels if I'm reading the tag right. I bought it last year and by the looks of the tires there are not too many miles on it but I am taking an eight hour trip to Nova Scotia so I want to make sure they're good
The Dexter ID number for axles made after 2001 is a nine digit number pressed into the axle directly underneath the words "DEXTER AXLE". If you will e-mail Dexter that number and ask for brake and seal information they will send you the correct Dexter numbers, which you can use to order or cross reference to other manufacturer's parts.

If you bought your trailer used and are unsure of the service history, you've got the right idea to pull the drums and check the brake components and bearings.

By the way, the Dexter Complete Service Manual is on this site - at the top of the forum, "Home, Forum, Photos, Manuals". Lots of information in that manual.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2008 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 07:51 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
The Dexter ID number for axles made after 2001 is a nine digit number pressed into the axle directly underneath the words "DEXTER AXLE". If you will e-mail Dexter that number and ask for brake and seal information they will send you the correct Dexter numbers, which you can use to order or cross reference to other manufacturer's parts.

If you bought your trailer used and are unsure of the service history, you've got the right idea to pull the drums and check the brake components and bearings.

By the way, the Dexter Complete Service Manual is on this site - at the top of the forum, "Home, Forum, Photos, Manuals". Lots of information in that manual.

Thanks I will crawl back under and look for that...
Bigmoo315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 07:59 AM   #16
Site Team

As I have posted before, when mine were contaminated when I bought the rig, Dexter and Jayco covered all 4 new brake assemblies. That is the easiest way to make sure the problem is gone.

Read on the forum the many problems cause by lubing EZ lubes improperly!

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 07:58 PM   #17

When we bought our new Jayco I commented about how poor the brakes were to a dealer we were getting some warranty work done. They pulled the hubs and all were full of grease from the factory. They replaced everything, springs and all. The dealer felt that the shoes were impregnated with grease and would never come clean. They replaced the drums too. I paid the bill and Jayco reimbursed me 3 months later. $1200.

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:02 PM   #18

Brakes have to be replaced. You can not clean the brake pads and expect them to stop the camper anymore.