Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-21-2014, 04:29 PM   #11

Love mine, had it for 3 trouble free years. Helps the handling when not towing too, ride is much better.

DieselX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 08:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitehawkmn View Post
I just installed mine lastnight, and you're all correct, very easy to install. Somebody mentioned that you need to adjust them after 200 miles, is that correct? Also wondering if everyone needed to change their WD hitch settings?
Yes, you should check them again a short time after installation, they will "break in" a little. It doesn't mention this anywhere in the instructions IIRC, but it needs to be done. Mine were a few turns out of adjustment after the first week of driving around, but since then they haven't moved.

I can't speak for others, but I reconfigured my hitch for 2 reasons 1) my hitch manufacturer recommended it after any suspension install, and 2) I wasn't entirely happy with the way it was setup in the first place.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Yes, you should check them again a short time after installation, they will "break in" a little. It doesn't mention this anywhere in the instructions IIRC, but it needs to be done. Mine were a few turns out of adjustment after the first week of driving around, but since then they haven't moved.

I can't speak for others, but I reconfigured my hitch for 2 reasons 1) my hitch manufacturer recommended it after any suspension install, and 2) I wasn't entirely happy with the way it was setup in the first place.
Did you need to remove the tires and start from scratch?
Old 06-21-2014, 10:10 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitehawkmn View Post
Did you need to remove the tires and start from scratch?

I did not, but you may want to put jack stands under anyway. You may have a tendency to lean on the truck a bit, so you want it to be stable. I have actually cheated a little bit and used my tongue jack. I have to go pretty high to unload my WDH spring bars, so I just went a little higher and adjusted my springs.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:34 AM   #15

Based on the reviews in read here and on other forums I was going to add RAS to my truck, but there's a several week national back order for the Tundra and I wanted/needed something before heading out on a 3,500 mile trip. I added Sumo Springs though, and a world of difference - the bounce is virtually eliminated.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 01:05 AM   #16

I dunno guys, RAS sounds like complete BS to me, the description from their website is full of technical jargon but no real content:

"Roadmaster Active Suspension (RAS) overcomes the limitations of passive suspension by introducing mechanically active suspension to the rear leaf springs thereby conquering the traditional three-way load vs handling vs comfort conflict. Once fitted, RAS has the ability to store, dissipate and introduce energy to the system. Being mechanical its action is immediate, unlike hydraulics or air which take time to react. This immediate action is also variable, working in exact counter proportion to force applied, hence the term active"

I am not a mechanical engineer, but RAS mechanism looks to be a helper coil spring instead of a helper leaf spring. The coils of the spring look to be uniform in diameter and spacing, not even variable rate. I put a set of Hellwig helper springs on my old truck and, properly adjusted (torque on the u-bolt), they did not affect my unloaded ride. The would only kick-in with weight in the bed or on the hitch. They cost me $60 delivered and were installed in 15 minutes. They do need to be adjusted properly else they will significantly stiffen your rear suspension.

motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote