Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-12-2014, 08:35 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEscape View Post
I do see an Avalanche in the 2011 section but it might not be your particular configuration.
Didn't realize it was only covering a single year. They stopped making a 2500 Avalanche long before the 1500 ended..

2001 Oldsmobile Aurora
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEscape View Post

And if you were someone looking at SUVs, the Explorer and MDX appear to tow the same. Except the Explorer only account for a driver in its ratings and the MDX includes driver, passenger and some cargo. So the MDX can actually tow more but the one number doesn't show that. And it may matter to the person towing a 4800# boat a couple times a year with him and his wife. And heck, maybe with payload numbers, that changes too.
Exactly my point above. Payload is critical. Also I'd be surprised if the MDX had much more than a 700# tongue weight limitation. The Explorer probably has closer to 900#. And Honda is notorious for stating not to use a WD hitch on their vehicles sot hey don't even give 2 ratings. More often than not on SUVs and 1/2 ton PUs you'll run into hitch and payload limits before you'll hit the "max" towing capacity.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:36 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Exactly my point above. Payload is critical. Also I'd be surprised if the MDX had much more than a 700# tongue weight limitation. The Explorer probably has closer to 900#. And Honda is notorious for stating not to use a WD hitch on their vehicles sot hey don't even give 2 ratings. More often than not on SUVs and 1/2 ton PUs you'll run into hitch and payload limits before you'll hit the "max" towing capacity.

The MDX is only 500 (the whole reason I just put a deposit on a truck. Ha ha!) The Explorer was also 500 the last time I looked into it. But yes, I agree completely with your point about running into other limits on these types of vehicles before you hit the max limit.