Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-26-2017, 08:43 PM   #1

Angry Karrier Loadstar Blowout

I had a Karrier Loadstar tire on my Jayco X20E disintegrate, tread totally separated from the both sidewalls, on a very busy highway near Baltimore, MD. Changing the tire was scary with cars flying by at 65 + miles per hour. I understand that Goodyear has a new trailer tire called Endurance that is an excellent tire but it is not available on 13 inch wheels. My question....can I replace my 13 inch wheels with 14 inch wheels in order to purchase these tires. I hate to spend more money on Karrier tires
seark19973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 08:48 PM   #2

You would have to make sure you have clearance for taller tires and find a 14" wheel with the same bolt pattern as your 13"
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by seark19973 View Post
I had a Karrier Loadstar tire on my Jayco X20E disintegrate, tread totally separated from the both sidewalls, on a very busy highway near Baltimore, MD. Changing the tire was scary with cars flying by at 65 + miles per hour. I understand that Goodyear has a new trailer tire called Endurance that is an excellent tire but it is not available on 13 inch wheels. My question....can I replace my 13 inch wheels with 14 inch wheels in order to purchase these tires. I hate to spend more money on Karrier tires
Our camper comes stock with 15" wheels, so we had them upgraded from the factory to 16" as my research showed more tire options at that size than smaller wheels. That said, I suspect at 13" & 14" you may be limited on options for tires. - Good Luck
Old 09-27-2017, 04:29 AM   #4
Site Team

I have no iron in this fire but I have had many friends tout the Maxxis line of ST tires. They have them in 13" sizes.

https://tiresize.com/tires/Maxxis/M8008-ST-Radial.htm
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 07:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I have no iron in this fire but I have had many friends tout the Maxxis line of ST tires. They have them in 13" sizes.

https://tiresize.com/tires/Maxxis/M8008-ST-Radial.htm
the only problem with the maxxis in the 13" size is that they only make a C load version (1300lbs rating), I had them, and they were too mushy/overloaded so I got the new Carlisle D rated model instead.

more choice in 14" size for sure
Old 09-27-2017, 08:13 AM   #6

I got the GoodYear Endurance tires on my little enclosed cargo trailer. I was very happy to see them on the trailer when I picked it up from the dealer. They are speed rated at 65mph too so long as the tires aren't maxed out (which in my trailer would be almost impossible).

My spare is China garbage though. Karrier.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:08 AM   #7

Very much like the Maxxis ST's on my X19H. One year in and no issues, they still look new. LR C isn't an issue to me as 1480lb*4 (almost 6000 lbs) is well above the GAWR of the trailer anyway. I'm not loading that much!
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 01:09 PM   #8

I have a 2012 X23B, with the same size rims, when I was looking at replacement tires I contacted Jayco who passed off my question to the frame company (Dexter). Dexter stated I could upgrade to larger rims/tires. only requirements, needed a minimum of 3" of clearance between the tire and wheel well. They stated I needed at minimum 1.5" between the tires. Which to me both sounded too small of a distance.

I decided after a lot of research to install the new Carlisle Load D 13" tires, they are 65 psi tires, which jJyco stated was not an issue for my rims.

Carlisle tires, load range D, I believe they were called Radial Trail RH. I was not able to find any information online last spring on them. Discount Tire lead me to them.

So far, they are wearing nicely and have held air better than my OEM Tow Max. I think I have only topped them off once in 18 months. I check the pressures before each trip. The old Tow Max needed air every week. Discount Tire also installed metal valve stems.

Good Luck

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 03:13 PM   #9

Quote:
I imagine your probably running a load range C tire on that camper. If you don't want to change rim sizes definitely go up a load range to a D as mentioned above. You won't believe the difference in the sidewall. Most trailer companies equip their trailers with tires that usually barely cover GVWR. For example our trailer's GVWR is 10,500lbs and came with load range D tires rated @ 2500lbs each. Take the GVWR [10,500] and subtract tongue weight [1400] = 9100lbs. 10,000lbs of tire weight - 9100lbs of trailer left me with only 900lbs of wiggle room. Our trailer isn't even close to fully loaded so I had more wiggle room than that but I wasn't comfortable with that and with the fact that our tires were approaching their 5 year lifespan, I decided to go up a load range to an E last year. I went with the Kenda Karrier as well and so far they've been great and when I took them in to be balanced they didn't need any weights. I know they're China bombs but in the load range E they were twice as stout as my Goodyear Marathon D's. We'll see if I made the right decision and good luck with yours.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
You would have to make sure you have clearance for taller tires and find a 14" wheel with the same bolt pattern as your 13"
Thank you for this information! Buying four wheels and tires would be expensive but it may be woth it for peace of mind.
Old 09-28-2017, 07:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
I imagine your probably running a load range C tire on that camper. If you don't want to change rim sizes definitely go up a load range to a D as mentioned above. You won't believe the difference in the sidewall. Most trailer companies equip their trailers with tires that usually barely cover GVWR. For example our trailer's GVWR is 10,500lbs and came with load range D tires rated @ 2500lbs each. Take the GVWR [10,500] and subtract tongue weight [1400] = 9100lbs. 10,000lbs of tire weight - 9100lbs of trailer left me with only 900lbs of wiggle room. Our trailer isn't even close to fully loaded so I had more wiggle room than that but I wasn't comfortable with that and with the fact that our tires were approaching their 5 year lifespan, I decided to go up a load range to an E last year. I went with the Kenda Karrier as well and so far they've been great and when I took them in to be balanced they didn't need any weights. I know they're China bombs but in the load range E they were twice as stout as my Goodyear Marathon D's. We'll see if I made the right decision and good luck with yours.
Thank you for this information....very helpful!
Old 09-28-2017, 07:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Thank you for this information! Buying four wheels and tires would be expensive but it may be woth it for peace of mind.
don't forget to buy a spare too...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 08:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I have a 2012 X23B, with the same size rims, when I was looking at replacement tires I contacted Jayco who passed off my question to the frame company (Dexter). Dexter stated I could upgrade to larger rims/tires. only requirements, needed a minimum of 3" of clearance between the tire and wheel well. They stated I needed at minimum 1.5" between the tires. Which to me both sounded too small of a distance.

I decided after a lot of research to install the new Carlisle Load D 13" tires, they are 65 psi tires, which jJyco stated was not an issue for my rims.

Carlisle tires, load range D, I believe they were called Radial Trail RH. I was not able to find any information online last spring on them. Discount Tire lead me to them.

So far, they are wearing nicely and have held air better than my OEM Tow Max. I think I have only topped them off once in 18 months. I check the pressures before each trip. The old Tow Max needed air every week. Discount Tire also installed metal valve stems.

Good Luck
Thank you for this information! I was going to contact my dealer and Jayco about larger rims so you you saved me a lot of time!!