Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-11-2023, 07:34 AM   #1

New Batteries. Now an issue!

Being proactive as I am, I decided yesterday to replace 2 6V golf cart batteries for new ones. The previous batteries were about 5 years old. I also replaced the battery cable that jumps between the negative posts with a new one (4 gauge), as it too was showing age. After placing the batteries in their box and reconnecting all of the cables, nothing is working... no lights work, battery and tank monitors does not light up, etc.. I have checked/replaced fuses, etc. and cannot figure out what the issue is. I even took the batteries back to the auto store and had them tested.
I am hoping I can get suggestions from the team, before I find a mobile service to come out and troubleshoot. FRUSTRATED!
Gary_LHC_Arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 07:48 AM   #2

Have you checked for continuity on both ends of the wire you replaced? I would get a meter and start there. Also check for a good ground and the 30 amp fuse up front. Then I would check the connections in the electrical box at the front of the camper.
damammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 08:04 AM   #3

A few pictures of your batteries and cables may help. It is common when changing batteries to attach the cables incorrectly and also in some cases the reverse polarity fuses can be an issue even for a momentary incorrect connection to the batteries. ~CA
Old 07-11-2023, 08:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary_LHC_Arizona View Post
I also replaced the battery cable that jumps between the negative posts with a new one (4 gauge), as it too was showing age.
What? Between the negative posts? The jumper should connect a negative post to a positive post. Sounds like your positive and ground trailer wires must both be connected to positive posts, huh? That won't work.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2023-07-11 at 7.25.11 AM.png  
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 09:36 AM   #5

Attached is a pic I took of the old batteries and connections. The white cable is connected to a + post. The green wire is connected to a + post. The black cable that is connected to the battery shutoff is connected to a - post, which is connected to the other - post. This is the connection layout that existed when I bought the trailer. I connected the new batteries the same way.
Attached Thumbnails
RV battery layout.jpg  
Old 07-11-2023, 09:46 AM   #6

In your picture the white wire is connected to a negative post. The jumper is connected to one negative and one positive post. The black/green combo is connected to a positive post.

You can see "NEG" marking where the white wire connects, and both + and - at the jumped posts. Can't really see a marking where the black/green combo attach, but it has to be a POS terminal.
Old 07-11-2023, 09:53 AM   #7

I enlarged sections of your picture so it's easier to see the markings.

Also in your picture, one battery is turned 180 degrees in relation to the other, so the negative terminals are both to the outer edges, and both positive terminals are together where the batteries meet.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2023-07-11 at 8.47.16 AM.png   Screen Shot 2023-07-11 at 8.47.32 AM.png  
Attached Images

Old 07-11-2023, 10:16 AM   #8

Thank you! You guys are great! I revisited the setup and made the corrections as you posted and of course it worked! I should have been more diligent in my work. Yesterday was a frustrating 111 degree afternoon in the sun trying to diagnose the issue.
I don't post a lot in this forum, but I do read every one of the postings. I have learned a lot.
Thank you again for everyone's input.
Old 07-11-2023, 10:48 AM   #9

Glad you got it working! Now crank on the AC and relax!