Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-22-2019, 09:07 AM   #1

Shake down

So our shake down is under way! Couple of things we are trying to figure out:
1) we had a lot of trouble getting the trailer off the ball hitch. It’s husky TS centerline WDH. Any tips?
2) if you have same model (2019 Jayco x23e) or similar, and have storage cabinets the size of Texas, show me your organizational tips/hacks? I’m overwhelmed where to put everything and feel like things are gonna get lost in there (not necessary a bad problem to have, just need some help figuring it out.)
Attached Thumbnails
82995E03-3C97-4EA2-B2DD-5E72CA15BDB4.jpg   4CD55A9F-D3DE-4642-A327-4722BAFDE570.jpg   BB6EDE8A-30C2-4FC5-91AB-AD0128002193.jpg   8DF812A5-C7A9-4288-A67B-A6540FC1882F.jpg  
Leningradka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 09:55 AM   #2

The hitch often wants to jam when elevating the trailer off the ball. Usually, it's a matter of moving the tow vehicle forward a very small amount....some portion of an inch. That usually relieves the pressure at the back of the ball, allowing a smooth release. Less typically, the tow vehicle can be too far forward.

Either way, it's a matter of centering the ball in the receiver. Also helps to keep the mechanism in the receiver oiled. A little lightweight oil seem to do it.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 10:19 AM   #3

Knock on wood!! I have heard of others having trouble getting the coupler off the ball before, I never have. When unhooking from the TT I:
1. set the TV park brake and put the truck in park after the trailer is level side to side.
2. I block the TT tires front and back.
3. Then go the the truck (TV) put the truck in neutral and release the park brake and let the trailer rest against the tire blocks. Put the truck back in park and set the parking brake.
4. do the process of getting the TT off the ball.

I hope this helps and I hope I never run into this trouble.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
The hitch often wants to jam when elevating the trailer off the ball. Usually, it's a matter of moving the tow vehicle forward a very small amount....some portion of an inch. That usually relieves the pressure at the back of the ball, allowing a smooth release. Less typically, the tow vehicle can be too far forward.

Either way, it's a matter of centering the ball in the receiver. Also helps to keep the mechanism in the receiver oiled. A little lightweight oil seem to do it.
Being too far forward is ALWAYS the problem with our camper. I've gotten pretty good at getting the TV to drift back an inch or so, so I can unhitch.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:04 AM   #5

All good advice above. If the hitch is jammed on the ball, move the tow vehicle opposite of its last movement to unjam it. So if you were backing into a campsite or storage and it is jammed, allow the vehicle to move forward slightly. As was said above, some portion of an inch. That should do it.
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 01:35 PM   #6

Thanks guys, we "wiggled" the truck back and forth and that seemed to have done the trick finally. Second time was easier so hopefully it gets easier as we go along
Old 09-24-2019, 01:43 PM   #7

As for the hitch, they are powder coated, and sometimes there is a buildup inside the coupler. Since I started greasing the ball, I never have any issues.

As for storage. I modified one closet to shelves. I did have to add a couple furring strips to flush things up. I set the shelves up to hold small baskets.. see my signature for more details.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 12:17 PM   #8

We are setting up our new X23E and working on making good use of the fabulous storage also. I got some very light weight plastic bins and a couple of 3 drawer organizers from the dollar store yesterday to help corral some of our small items. Just wondering if the OP figured out what worked well for them and had any ideas to share. Thanks!
TheWeekend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 12:52 PM   #9

Hi The weekender! Yes we did, I bought few various storage baskets. I also had a three tier stand of draws from Walmart that I used in my pop up as a pantry. I pulled out the draws from it, and they fit perfect in the closet. I use one for each of the family member and can fit a 1 weeks' worth of clothes in there for one family member . I stand the clothes up (Marie Kondo style) instread of laying it in draws. IT does a double bonus of being able to see everything in the draw and fitting everything in.
I use bigger baskets on top shelves as my pantry. And still have great storage left. I use the back storage by the back beds (the kids beds) for storing my gasoline contrainers for my generator. the 2 and 5 gall ones fit in there like a glove with no issues. I put absorbent pads under them in case of a leak (knock on wood none so far) and can fit 9 gall of gasoline in there (3 contrainalso ) without issues. Before everyone gets upset, i have no where else to put it, i do not travel with a pick up truck, but an SUV and extra propane for my firepit. So everything has to be in the trailer.
Old 06-06-2020, 12:57 PM   #10

I use to have this problem too. I would just bounce on the bumper and it would pop out. Of course I'm 275 lbs that helped.
Old 06-06-2020, 07:20 PM   #11

Go onto Pinterest and search RV Storage and organization. Great ideas.
Eastern Sierra Oracle

Daveinfv is offline   Reply With Quote