Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-01-2016, 11:05 AM   #11

You know reading this makes me feel reasonably optimistic about buying a used unit this time. ALJO has the right our idea. Our brand new 1007 was nothing but problems for the first couple of years - I always felt that it was probably the last unit built on a Friday afternoon from the spare parts they had lying around. Now I realize that they are all apparently like that.

And I suppose we shouldn't be too surprised. I hear very similar stories from people who buy brand new homes. Lots of initial quality issues to be addressed with the builder (and the builder generally not interested in fixing them). And a trailer has all the same systems, plus wheels, hitch, and the need to stand up to hurricane force winds and major earthquake forces on a weekly basis. I guess it's no wonder that the first years are the toughest until the kinks are out.

That is kind of what I am hoping with buying a 4-year old unit. That the former owner took care of most of the initial quality issues, and I am only stuck with normal wear and tear now. Sure there were deficiencies noted on our new (to us) TT when we bought, but they were mostly cosmetic and easily fixed.

I too have a ton of mods in mind for this year. Looking forward to getting them going.

bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 01:02 PM   #12
Site Team

You would be surprised at the number of used units purchased where the previous owner never even tried to fix these pesky problems.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 03:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
You would be surprised at the number of used units purchased where the previous owner never even tried to fix these pesky problems.
Agreed, but we spent a lot more time going over this used unit than we would with a new one. Visited it 3 times at the dealership before we pulled the trigger, harder to do when you are buying new. But only time will tell the wisdom of our purchase...
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:32 PM   #14

Another thing I found with Jayco and local dealer was that I could get repairs documented, approved by Jayco, and then schedule repairs for late season when done using it. This even worked at end of two year warranty, got one last major repair done after expiration.

2013 Eagle 29.5RKS
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 02:01 PM   #15

I guess we've all had our problems. My fridge and furnace both needed new electronics.

My favorite was when I was camping in a heavy rainstorm with my (then) one year old camper. The water was pouring into the bathroom from under the wall so fast I couldn't towel it up fast enough. A very alert friend opened an inspection panel under the rear bed and found the water was coming in through the left tail light. The water from the roof was pouring onto it so I temporarily fixed it with good old duct tape.

When I complained to the dealer, he said he could not replace the cheap tail lights with the newer style that came along the next year. All he would do is caulk the lenses in place. I did it myself after putting LED bulbs in to minimize replacement. I guess they were just designed to leak!