Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-14-2022, 05:52 PM   #21

I just wired up the plug side and will wire it into the breaker box tomorrow. Fingers crossed everything survived.

We were talking about the screw torque, see the sticker that was on the new plug. The picture uploaded blury but it says 22-25in lbs.
Attached Thumbnails
A34571D3-3D45-4418-83EF-5678E53BD51A.jpg   D5AD0EFA-47F6-4244-AC02-086477BC8705.jpg  
YDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 06:23 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDrive View Post
I just wired up the plug side and will wire it into the breaker box tomorrow. Fingers crossed everything survived.

We were talking about the screw torque, see the sticker that was on the new plug. The picture uploaded blury but it says 22-25in lbs.
Good to know, I was thinking ~40in lbs as many circuit breakers are around that amount, and not to mention that going too tight could easily strip the threads and may have been the root cause of your issue. ~CA
Old 06-18-2022, 12:06 PM   #23

I have seen this when the neutral gets 110v at the pedestal. This is usually caused by a power company issue or the neutral shorting with a hot leg. This could happen if an underground wire is chaffed or had a lightning hit. I have seen this in a residential setting as well.
Luco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 12:06 PM   #24

sorry... late to the party & glad you have it solved. all I can add is that when you see big changes in voltage when equipment is turned on, it is almost always related to a bad connection or high resistance somewhere.

"After turning on the breaker box I observed
Red to White 10v
Black to White 4v"

the resistance of the meter is so high it will read full voltage through a bad connection that can't pass the current. once the high resistance connection is under load the voltage will drop. and btw.... thats why the connector roasted. the voltage was dropped in the plug itself, in the form of heat
dogmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 02:20 PM   #25

I have seen a breaker box explode into flames. Went into work one day and flipped the breakers for the shop snap, crackle, pop and then flames from behind the cover panel. i turned off the main power with a broomstick. Scared the crap out of me.
spluce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 02:24 PM   #26

PacNW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyrlef View Post
As am I now, not sure if the automatic transfer switch could be a factor unless the onboard gen. is running while shore power is hot. Furthermore, I'd like to know where he's camping in June with both A/C's off, so I can pack up and head that way. It was 104 in Plano, America yesterday.
Swing through Oregon and Washington... we need clean trailers and campers who leave the grounds cleaner than when they arrived. It’s currently 68* and will be slightly overcast all week, just sayin: the grass doesn’t get any greener!!
dustyww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 03:40 PM   #27

I missed the AC comment 🙂. We are in PA, the days were in the low 70s and nights in the high 40s.
YDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 09:32 AM   #28
Gak

I would like to just say thank you to all those who tried to help and shared your knowledge with electricity and how it works In an RV. I follow the forum here and there and it's always informative. I'm sure all your inputs helped..if not him ..someone else. Again, thanks for sharing your experiences and knowledge.
Gak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 10:45 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gak View Post
I would like to just say thank you to all those who tried to help and shared your knowledge with electricity and how it works In an RV. I follow the forum here and there and it's always informative. I'm sure all your inputs helped..if not him ..someone else. Again, thanks for sharing your experiences and knowledge.
Me too! This thread was fascinating - big thanks to Craig and all for a readable and understandable explanation.

And - I can help on the temperature front too: it was in the 40's yesterday around 9000' up in Rocky Mountain National Park.

C'mon up.