Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-11-2024, 06:56 PM   #1

EternaBond and brandnew Jay feather 21mml

We are not new to camping, in the last 38 years we went all the way from popup campers to tow behinds all the way up to several 5th wheels with the biggest sizing in at 37' and ended with a sprinter MH. During the same time we also had 3 different pick up campers. Plus my family growing up had campers since the mid 60's.
we sold our last RV early in covid for a nice profit.

Now we are going down in size (still bigger than the space in that sprinter) .

This weekend I was looking around for any of camper adapters or gizmos I need to put back into the new camper and I found a 12 foot roll of 6 inch white Eternabond in an unopened box.
I purchased this in 2017 to fix a 2011 Open Range leak box we owned but ended up trading that in for teh sprinter MH in 2018.

My first thoughts was I should spread this across that front joint where the front wall meets the roof. That is the only wall that does not have Azedel in it.

what are your thoughts?
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 07:20 PM   #2

It only has a 5 year shelf life.
Old 03-11-2024, 07:28 PM   #3

I read at HB Fuller website the tech specs on Etearnabond tape. The shelf life of unused Etearnabond is 5 years. I carry a three year old partial roll as a " i didn't see that low branch" emergency fix but would probably buy new for your use as storage in the hatch of my RV exposes it to hot temp and freezing cold. I also don't have a best by date on my old roll. Yours is almost certainly over the 5 years and the labor and possible results of a failure are worth more than the price of a new roll.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 08:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
We are not new to camping, in the last 38 years we went all the way from popup campers to tow behinds all the way up to several 5th wheels with the biggest sizing in at 37' and ended with a sprinter MH. During the same time we also had 3 different pick up campers. Plus my family growing up had campers since the mid 60's.
we sold our last RV early in covid for a nice profit.

Now we are going down in size (still bigger than the space in that sprinter) .

This weekend I was looking around for any of camper adapters or gizmos I need to put back into the new camper and I found a 12 foot roll of 6 inch white Eternabond in an unopened box.
I purchased this in 2017 to fix a 2011 Open Range leak box we owned but ended up trading that in for teh sprinter MH in 2018.

My first thoughts was I should spread this across that front joint where the front wall meets the roof. That is the only wall that does not have Azedel in it.

what are your thoughts?
I used Eternabond along the new rebuild roof of my old pop-up camper in 2020. It was the first time I used it, but knew right away it was super strong, watertight and durable.

Today I own a new 2022 Jay Feather, purchased in October 2023. It has the double Azdel. I did a lot of thread reading about the tape and initially decided to Eternabond all the roof seams/seals once out of warranty. Then, after some more thought, I’m not waiting. I’m going to do the job this season.
2023 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 2.7L EcoBoost, 4x4, 3.73 axle, #1900 payload #10,100 tow capacity.
JKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 06:54 AM   #5

I would definitely recommend applying some new Eternabond across that from cap/roof seam. It’s not worth saving a few bucks though taking the chance on the old roll.
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 08:17 AM   #6

T Etearnabond website suggests it has a "long" shelf life. But no specific life is shown there. I keep my leftover from a major roof overhaul as "any port in the storm" if that overhanging branch visits my roof.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 08:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
T Etearnabond website suggests it has a "long" shelf life. But no specific life is shown there. I keep my leftover from a major roof overhaul as "any port in the storm" if that overhanging branch visits my roof.
Right on the Spec Sheet......5 years.....
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2024-03-26 10.50.21.png  
Old 03-26-2024, 09:23 AM   #8

The Eternabond company should print the date on the roll somewhere as how would anyone know how old it is even when purchased (could be old stock)? I have some older Eternabond 6~7yrs old and while I wouldn't use it on my RV, I have used it for other uses and it still seems to work as it did when it was new. It is hard to know though if the adhesion will hold up as new eternabond would. ~CA