Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-10-2024, 11:18 AM   #1

Installing new tires

Hey everyone,
I’m going to be replacing all 4 of my trailer tires.
Wondered how you do it?
Take the rig to the shop?
Take two at a time and leave the trailer at home?

Just curious what others do.

Thanks

2021 GMC half ton T/V
2022 Jayfeather 25RB
Anderson WDH
Markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 11:21 AM   #2

In my experience, it depends on the Tire Dealer (retailer). I would call and ask as some will allow you to park the RV in the parking lot and then they will take the tires off and bring them inside their shop to replace them, others will say that they can't work on any vehicle (or RV) in the parking lot due to their insurance (or other) reasons. ~CA
Old 02-10-2024, 11:31 AM   #3

I take off 2 at a time and bring them in....why?? Because the last time when I was at Discount Tire I saw them changing tires on a travel trailer by using jacks under the axles. The jacks weren't even close to the springs...placed about 18inches away from the springs. Perfect way to bend an axle.

I asked the manager about it..."That's the way we always do it." Plus, I am no too fond of them putting the lug nuts on with an air wrench and not torquing them properly.

I have since changed tire shops, but I still take them in 2 at a time.

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 11:32 AM   #4
Site Team

We have a favorite local independent dealer that changed them all from his parking lot. I took the truck and TT there, left them hooked up, and they were done in 1/2 hour.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 12:12 PM   #5

Thanks everyone

2021 GMC half ton T/V
2022 Jayfeather 25RB
Anderson WDH
Old 02-10-2024, 05:07 PM   #6

I took T.T. Directly to discount tire store..had an appointment,bought the extended warranty coverage,their shops are located all over the country.
Great quick professional customer service ..
BTW. They torque to yield all lug nuts with a “torque wrench “…
Irishwake55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 05:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishwake55 View Post
BTW. They torque to yield all lug nuts with a “torque wrench “…
If they had done that when I had them put new tires on my truck maybe the 2 lug nuts on my left front tire, and one on my right rear wouldn’t have snapped off…

Old 02-10-2024, 06:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post
If they had done that when I had them put new tires on my truck maybe the 2 lug nuts on my left front tire, and one on my right rear wouldn’t have snapped off…
No doubt..bad,bad,bad,
I’ve had them do work for me in South Carolina,Florida and Colorado been very satisfied with workmanship,
Possibility the A.Z.store is under poor management
Irishwake55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 06:42 PM   #9

To explain further….After 3 wheel studs were broken off the manager tried to explain what happened. He said the lug nuts were all cross threaded the last time they were installed and that’s why they broke off. He didn’t have much to say when I told him those nuts were installed about 3 months prior when I bought new tires at his store. They broke off when I came back in for a tire rotation. He also said they couldn’t repair them there and directed me to a tire and brake store down the street! They did pay for the repair bill, but nothing for my inconvenience. Yes, the store here in my town no longer gets my business! The store he sent me to now takes care of all my tire needs…and at a lower price to boot!

Old 02-10-2024, 07:04 PM   #10

I tow our rig to America's Tire, which is Discount Tire in California. I make an appointment and they put them on. I always buy the free balance and road hazard with them also.

Do the same for our truck.
2016 Feather 7 18RBM
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 07:17 PM   #11
Site Team

When getting trailer tires it's a good idea to do business with a shop that does tt tire installation enough to know where to put the jack and already does the work in their shop or yard.
I have had the last 2 done at a commercial Goodyear truck tire dealer and the work was done correctly and in a safe and timely manner.
Nothing wrong with asking them what their jacking protocol is and making clear how you want it done. Mine were torqued to my spec's.

Mine were done both times including balancing in less than 1-1/2 hours. They had a outside lane next to the bldg.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 07:34 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I've also just bought tires and rims and gave the old ones to a landscaper. I just had plain Jane steel rims.

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 10:08 AM   #13

The original tires are still on my trailer and the tread still looks good. But, since they're 7 years old, I'm going to replace them this spring.

After doing a little research, it looks like Goodyear will come to me for $20 extra. I'm also going to use a 15% discount from Harvest Hosts. I'll re-post after the work is done to let you know how it went.
2013 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3
Husky Centerline TS

ChiToones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 10:43 AM   #14

I called several tire dealers before I found one that would get the Goodyear Endurance tires. I ordered and paid for the tires. When they came in, the dealer called me and we made an appointment for me to bring the trailer to his shop. I parked in the lot. They brought out a jack and lifted the trailer to remove a wheel. It went inside, the new tire was mounted and balanced and remounted on the trailer. They used a torque wrench to do the final tightening on the wheels. They did the same on the other side.
Old 02-19-2024, 10:48 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post

I had one to snap off of my truck, so they had to send me to another dealer or mechanic who replaced studs.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 12:45 PM   #16

Personally, I'd have the tires delivered to me and I'd put them on the wheels myself but I'm probably in the minority here having an automotive degree and high school shop's tire changers I can use

Second choice would be pulling all 4 off myself to take then to a shop to put tires on the wheels.

If a shop put the wheels on with an impact and no torque stick, they'd be immediately stopping and doing it right.
Torque sticks on on impact is better but far from proof against failure. It reduces overtorquing but does not prevent it. I played with them enough in my time in a shop to know they're quite fallable.
Ideally, one or two thumps of the impact with a torque stick to keep from over-torquing then following up with a torque wrench to get it up to the torque spec.

You all know your torque specs, right?
Russc25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 12:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russc25 View Post
Personally, I'd have the tires delivered to me and I'd put them on the wheels myself but I'm probably in the minority here having an automotive degree and high school shop's tire changers I can use

Second choice would be pulling all 4 off myself to take then to a shop to put tires on the wheels.

If a shop put the wheels on with an impact and no torque stick, they'd be immediately stopping and doing it right.
Torque sticks on on impact is better but far from proof against failure. It reduces overtorquing but does not prevent it. I played with them enough in my time in a shop to know they're quite fallable.
Ideally, one or two thumps of the impact with a torque stick to keep from over-torquing then following up with a torque wrench to get it up to the torque spec.

You all know your torque specs, right?
Yes I do thanks

2021 GMC half ton T/V
2022 Jayfeather 25RB
Anderson WDH
Old 02-21-2024, 04:19 PM   #18

On another note here, Discount Tire charged me for tire balancing. When I returned home, I realized there were no tire weights on the wheels. I called and they said bring it back, which I did the next day.

As a tech is removing a wheel, the store manager came out and asked what was going on. I explained that when you charge a customer for a service it should be done. He said, "most people don't want wheel weights on the custom wheels." He then asks, "why would you want your trailer tires balanced?"

The irate look on my face must have been a give away because he quickly added, "unless you don't want your trailer bouncing all over the road!"

I told him, "I'm more concerned about safety than how pretty my wheels are!"

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 05:45 PM   #19

Murff,

I find the story interesting. I had my local Discount Tire install Goodyear tires on my trailer, and when I asked about balancing them, the manager said they balance all trailer tires. He said that we balanced car tires, so why would we not balanced trailer tires? I have heard good and bad about Discount Tires and wonder if it is less about the name and more about the store manager. When they installed my tires, they torqued them to spec and made sure they placed the TPMS sensors (I have the ones on the valve stem) back on the exact tire.

That has been my personal experience.
piperinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 07:03 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
On another note here, Discount Tire charged me for tire balancing. When I returned home, I realized there were no tire weights on the wheels. I called and they said bring it back, which I did the next day.

As a tech is removing a wheel, the store manager came out and asked what was going on. I explained that when you charge a customer for a service it should be done. He said, "most people don't want wheel weights on the custom wheels." He then asks, "why would you want your trailer tires balanced?"

The irate look on my face must have been a give away because he quickly added, "unless you don't want your trailer bouncing all over the road!"

I told him, "I'm more concerned about safety than how pretty my wheels are!"

Murff
"Most people don't want wheel weights on the custom wheels"
"Most people don't want to pay for services NOT performed!"

Not to mention there's this little invention called stick-on weights that get hidden behind the spokes!
Russc25 is offline   Reply With Quote