Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-16-2022, 05:26 PM   #1

Some propane problems along with others...

We just picked up our 2018 NorthPoint 377RLBH a couple weeks ago to begin our fulltime experience and got it for a decent price as prices are lately but it turns out to be not in the condition I expected it to be.

I have no idea when the last time the hubs were lubed but that rubber cover you stick the grease gun in through???.... Yeah, no hole until I greased it up.

Now and just the latest is the propane. I've been looking at the furnace being the blower fan in the rear AC took a dump and picking up the new one tomorrow so I tried running the furnace. It clicked on, blew hot for a moment or two and then the heat stopped, no propane was blowing through for the heat but the blower kept going.
Now, after seeing some Mickey Mousing under the trailer, at the furnace, only having the "THERMOSTAT+, the 12V+ and - but not the thermostat negative wire nor anything just hanging around there I did try to ground it to the frame just for troubleshooting it.
Now the blower won't start/blow.

BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE!!!

Now there's no propane serving the coach at all. No stove, no hot water/insta-hot that someone installed before I purchased it. (Going back to the "mickey mouse wiring). Nothing coming out of my verified full propane tanks, not any of the three II just filled and double checked.

I'm pretty handy as a career specialty Sparky and Mechanically inclined to say the very least of my skills and rebuilt/restored/repaired plenty of different things in my 53 years but the ignorance is killing me at this moment of life.....

Any ideas????
calisparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 05:39 PM   #2

If you opened he propane tanks too fast the safety shut off (high flow created by a leak) may have kicked in. Turn them off, bleed the pressure off the regulator and then open the tanks s l o w l y.

Don't think you will find the negative for the thermostat near the furnace, that is in the wall bundle. What ever wire you grounded may have blown the fuse, did you check them again? There may also be a reset switch on the furnace itself.
Old 09-16-2022, 06:22 PM   #3
Site Team

snip...
Quote:
Originally Posted by calisparky View Post
I have no idea when the last time the hubs were lubed but that rubber cover you stick the grease gun in through???.... Yeah, no hole until I greased it up.
The rubber cap plug isn't supposed to have a hole in it. They pop off the cap to expose the zerk fitting to lube, then reinstall it to keep dirt and water out of the bearing hub.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 08:03 PM   #4

It might not be a bad idea to pack the wheel bearings and replace the seals this will also give you a chance to check your brakes.
1984 gmc k1500 4x4 s/w/b. s/b 350,700r4,373 diff,.restored and upgraded( retired - sold). 2022 Chevy Z-71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab s/w/b 6.2 gas a/t. 2018 hummingbird Baja 16mrb,Yamaha ef2400ishc inverter.
Happy wife / happy life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 05:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy wife / happy life View Post
It might not be a bad idea to pack the wheel bearings and replace the seals this will also give you a chance to check your brakes.

X2, by using those grease fittings you may have just added grease to your brake drums. Even if done as recommended, spinning raised wheel, manual grease gun, hubs warm, grease can get forced out of the seal lip or even push the seal out. I bought a used 5er that had one brake drum full of grease, and another wheel had it's shoe linings become un-bonded. I tried the EZ lube on my 2020 last fall and pulled the drums this summer and 1 drum was greased, it went past the seal lip. I'm not really sure why the EZ lube system is even installed on a RV trailer being they are so failure prone. Sometimes the EZ way isn't the best way.
Best practice, IMHO-
Pull em', check your brakes and bearings for wear and hand pack them.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 11:24 AM   #6

I fouind out the propane problem to be the emergency alarm/detector on the wall of the island in the kitchen was activated. I pressed the "test now" button on it then checked and all is good now.
The furnace is one thing that's getting me though. I've trouble shot many complex circuits in my life and none of them were like this one... Tight to not be able to reach with this ol' belly of mine and no real schematics to show what the hell I've got going on here!
It's got the 4 wires coming from the top of the unit but only 3 to feed it. Labeled as

Battery +, Battery -, Thermostat + and then the thermostat - that isn't down in the storage area that I've yet seen.

I want to thank you all that have thrown out the information. It's very appreciated and taken for an education which is always valuable to me.
calisparky is offline   Reply With Quote