Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-16-2016, 10:19 PM   #1

Trik-l-start

I've read others' suggestions to install a Trik-L-Start between the Coach and Starting Batteries on a motorhome (to prevent depletion of Starting Battery)
Trik-L-Start instructions recommend installing this to the two posts of the Isolator Relay.
I've unsuccessfully "googled" where the isolator is located on a 2017 Mercedes Sprinter, (Melbourne 24K) and whether it has a "digital", or "relay" version.
Can anyone advise where it can be found?
Thanks
petersrc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:28 PM   #2

Have someone press the Aux Start button on the dash (if equipped) and listen for the relay near the coach battery.
It was very obviously located in all our motorhomes mounted on a wall very near the coach battery.
Ours have been round in shape with multiple battery cable terminals and Aux Start circuit wiring connected.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 11:09 PM   #3

If they installed to the Mercedes upfitters directions it is located under the drivers seat. I can send you the upfitters auxiliary battery directions when I am at my desktop if you want. I haven't looked in my 2016 Melbourne but in my 2013 Sprinter there are 3 or 4 posts under the seat along the outside wall towards the rear. A wire from one of those posts go to the relay. I believe it is the rear most post but don't hold me to it. I don't believe this has changed from 2013 to current year. The relay is about 2" square. I am a little confused on connecting it to the 2 posts on the relay. There are three posts on the relay and all are positive charged. The two large wires go to both batteries and the third wire is smaller and goes to the post I described above that when the ignition is on connects the 2 batteries. There may be a ground post under the seat that might be a better choice for the negative wire from the charger but I'm not an expert.
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 11:23 PM   #4

Thanks for your suggestions abarkl/pfflyer ------- I'll see if I can hear/locate when I'm next at the Motorhome.
Sounds like your 2" Square model is a digital variety? Pf.
Can't understand why the manufacturer(s) don't ensure appropriate charging for both chassis/coach batteries directly from the factory.

Rudy
Old 12-17-2016, 09:30 AM   #5

Contact LSL Products if more help is needed, they have been known to be real helpful;
Ultra TRIK-L-START Starting Battery Charger/Maintainer
877-257-4655
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 09:50 AM   #6

Here is the guide. http://aie-services-2.net/Sprinter/A...eline-NCV3.pdf It says through 2013 but to my knowledge nothing has changed since then.

Page 4 and 7 show a picture of the MB relay. Page 10 shows the posts that activates the relay when the engine is running. Regardless of what type or brand of relay it will be connected to the D+ post so you can just trace the wire if they followed MB guidelines.

If your charger has just a + and - leads how will it charge the starter battery connecting to the + of both batteries?
Old 12-17-2016, 10:11 AM   #7

Check with JAYCO, your unit should alrady be equipped with that.
Old 12-17-2016, 11:03 AM   #8

Thanks, again, Guys
I'll pursue your links offereed, and suggestions when the busyness of this Christmas Season is behind us. For now, I have a portable "Smart Charger" (2Amp with Float function) hooked directly to the Chassis Battery.

Pfflyer: You asked If your charger has just a + and - leads how will it charge the starter battery connecting to the + of both batteries?

From what I read/understand the Trik-L-Start's 3 leads are hooked ---- one to the Chassis Post on the Isolator, a second to the Coach post of the Isolator, and the 3rd to ground. Theory being that up to 5amps are "stolen" from Coach and transferred to Chassis. When "full" the Trik-L-Start goes into "Float" mode. All the while, the Coach battery is "kept full" by ShorePower/Converter.
The question that remains in my mind ------ If it's that simple, Why didn't Jayco provide that feature directly from the Factory? I'll try to verify that later.
In the meantime -------- thanks again, and MERRY CHRISTMAS to all.
Rudy
Old 12-17-2016, 11:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by petersrc2 View Post
------ If it's that simple, Why didn't Jayco provide that feature directly from the Factory? I'll try to verify that later.
In the meantime -------- thanks again, and MERRY CHRISTMAS to all.
Rudy
As I said your unit probably has it. If you keep it plugged in on shore power your converter also charges the chassis battery. Our 08 SENECA had that feature.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 11:39 AM   #10

My 16 Melbourne does not. Starter Battery dies in about 3 weeks.
Old 12-17-2016, 11:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfflyer View Post
Here is the guide. http://aie-services-2.net/Sprinter/A...eline-NCV3.pdf It says through 2013 but to my knowledge nothing has changed since then.

Page 4 and 7 show a picture of the MB relay. Page 10 shows the posts that activates the relay when the engine is running. Regardless of what type or brand of relay it will be connected to the D+ post so you can just trace the wire if they followed MB guidelines.

If your charger has just a + and - leads how will it charge the starter battery connecting to the + of both batteries?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
As I said your unit probably has it. If you keep it plugged in on shore power your converter also charges the chassis battery. Our 08 SENECA had that feature.
Grumpy. That was my thought/expectation when we placed the unit in storage. It's been hooked to Shore power all along, yet I found the Chassis battery "DOA" when I checked it recently. That's what got this thread started.
Anyhoo -------- to be checked on later.
Cheers.