Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Life > News and Blogs
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2023, 11:16 AM   #1

Stellantis has a different take on "Hybrid"

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/autos/news...skbarent&ei=16

Interesting take on the EV side for a truck. The gas engine (V6) is only a generator for the battery if needed, it doesn't actually drive the wheels, just charge the battery.

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 11:24 AM   #2

Looks like Car and Driver have a few more details on it - https://www.msn.com/en-ca/autos/news...skbarent&ei=15

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
Old 11-07-2023, 01:36 PM   #3

Saw an article recently on battery replacement costs for this truck. It’s estimated to cost 25 grand to replace the batteries when that time comes.
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 03:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry713 View Post
Saw an article recently on battery replacement costs for this truck. It’s estimated to cost 25 grand to replace the batteries when that time comes.
True; however, the 8-10 year, 100,000 mile warranty required by federal law would cover that in quite a few cases...

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
Old 11-07-2023, 03:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by colby View Post
True; however, the 8-10 year, 100,000 mile warranty required by federal law would cover that in quite a few cases...
This article didn’t mention anything about warranty’s. Maybe so.

It’s been a while since I’ve came across a story about someone having to replace their batteries but I’ve seen them off and on for a years now. There’s a bunch of people who have spend many thousands replacing batteries. Toyota Prius isn’t a totally EV but does need batteries to run. You can find your choice of color for these at junk yards because the battery replacement can cost more than the car is worth. Chevy Volts are not quite as notorious but also have similar issues. There was a story going around couple of years ago about a Volt owner got a bill for 19 grand to replace his batteries and his car was worth 12k in working condition. This is an issue for EV’s and something I believe many buyers aren’t considering.

Again I’m not aware of the law you referenced but I don’t see that law covering batteries. I don’t see manufacturers sticking their neck out for that level of risk.
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 05:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry713 View Post
This article didn’t mention anything about warranty’s. Maybe so.

It’s been a while since I’ve came across a story about someone having to replace their batteries but I’ve seen them off and on for a years now. There’s a bunch of people who have spend many thousands replacing batteries. Toyota Prius isn’t a totally EV but does need batteries to run. You can find your choice of color for these at junk yards because the battery replacement can cost more than the car is worth. Chevy Volts are not quite as notorious but also have similar issues. There was a story going around couple of years ago about a Volt owner got a bill for 19 grand to replace his batteries and his car was worth 12k in working condition. This is an issue for EV’s and something I believe many buyers aren’t considering.

Again I’m not aware of the law you referenced but I don’t see that law covering batteries. I don’t see manufacturers sticking their neck out for that level of risk.
The emissions control system has to function a certain length of time based on the emissions tier. IE even if a manufacturer has a 3 year/36k mi powertrain warranty, the emissions system has to work 10 years/100k miles. In theory, one could argue just about anything on the car would affect emissions but in practice their lawyers are paid a lot more than you or I so good freaking luck.

I assume he's proposing that since the battery is critical to the vehicle meeting emissions, it has to last the emissions warranty not the powertrain warranty.
Russc25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 09:16 AM   #7

I didn't find the information on the EV Battery warranty laws from the press release coverage, I had seen on another site or two. Kelly Blue Book does talk about EV warranties; however, doesn't mention the Federal Law - https://www.kbb.com/car-advice/hybri...tery-warranty/

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
Old 11-08-2023, 11:51 AM   #8

I think this is a VERY compelling truck, especially for RVers. I live in a rural area, and travel to rural areas, so the on-board charging capability is extremely attractive. In normal daily driver use, I would burn virtually no fuel with my short commute.

Think if you could tow your RV and then plug it into the truck when you get where you're going. That would be SUPER cool! Boondocking would be SUPER easy!

Some challenges I could see would be with keeping the motor in working condition. ICEs don't like to sit for long periods, they need to run. Another challenge might be the relatively short "shelf-life" of fuel that contains ethanol. I could conceivably go several months without running the gas motor to charge the battery... And just like all other batteries, one day it will stop holding a charge, and then what? It's an overall issue with EVs, but the replacement cost could be "prohibitive", and what do we do with the depleted batteries?

Too bad I likely won't be able to afford one any time soon...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 12:47 PM   #9

So how many miles per dollar?
Old 11-08-2023, 08:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I think this is a VERY compelling truck, especially for RVers. I live in a rural area, and travel to rural areas, so the on-board charging capability is extremely attractive. In normal daily driver use, I would burn virtually no fuel with my short commute.

Think if you could tow your RV and then plug it into the truck when you get where you're going. That would be SUPER cool! Boondocking would be SUPER easy!

Some challenges I could see would be with keeping the motor in working condition. ICEs don't like to sit for long periods, they need to run. Another challenge might be the relatively short "shelf-life" of fuel that contains ethanol. I could conceivably go several months without running the gas motor to charge the battery... And just like all other batteries, one day it will stop holding a charge, and then what? It's an overall issue with EVs, but the replacement cost could be "prohibitive", and what do we do with the depleted batteries?

Too bad I likely won't be able to afford one any time soon...
That's not the manufacturer's problem , you're supposed to buy it with a loan longer than your mortgage trade it in long before that's an issue. My '11 honda has thought it's 1/3/2003 for 2 years now and there's no plan for a fix.

Honestly, these days I'd worry more about OTA updates bricking it or the screens and electronics crapping out more than the battery wearing out.

Lets not even get into product-as-a-service BS.
Russc25 is offline   Reply With Quote